Unusually high SSD writes

So I got an SSD a few days ago, Samsung 580 Evo 500GB. I cloned my old HDD to it and everything.
After I formated the old drive, I moved most of the files back to it to save space on the SSD. Then I downloaed SSDLife to see what's up, and BAM ( not a bus).

It's showing a ridiculous amount of data written to it. After 4 days of having it, it has already over 1400gb written to it. Okay, the cloning was about 450 and I installed GTA a couble of times but still.
Yesterday it had 79gb written on it in ONE day. I didn't do any of it, just gaming and browsing. As of last night (12 am) it has already written 20gb into it.

So what the F**K is that about?I tried monitoring with SSDReady and I see constant activity in idle, which is normal of course but I can't see the amount of data written.

Any ideas?

ssd.png

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

look in task manager to see what is writing the most data.

Thanks for that, I didn't know I could monitor storage activity through the Task Manager.
So I did and it seems the OS is writing most of it. Not very helpful..

ssd.png

the antivirus sandbox in action is what your seeing plus pagefile writes

i dont remember off top head so do search to find setting pagefile location

set to your old drive and unselect ssd drive

now for sandbox well i have no clue how to move that (it would be nice if it was moveable)

I don't see any problem with that... not a ridiculous amount at all.

You shouldn't have cloned though, that's probably going to cause a lot of problems with windows updates a few months from now.

Also, do you use firefox or chrome?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I don't see any problem with that... not a ridiculous amount at all.

You shouldn't have cloned though, that's probably going to cause a lot of problems with windows updates a few months from now.

Also, do you use firefox or chrome?

I use Chrome and it does seem to to write a large portion of that data..

ssd.png

5 minutes ago, BurnedPriest said:

I use Chrome and it does seem to to write a large portion of that data..

I have 6TB 14K hours on one SSD and 13TB 26K hours on another.

That's like 10-15GB per day on average.

I just read your post again and yeah that does seem a bit high, I though 20gb per day is what it was doing.

I would suggest leaving it for a few more days to see if it goes down at all, maybe updates were installing in the background or something.

Also I would suggest double checking the numbers in crystaldiskinfo.

If it doesn't drop to like 10-20GB per day then you need to clean install windows on the SSD because windows is probably treating it as a hard drive since you cloned.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020