Corsair CX650 vs Corsair CX650M

Is there a difference between the Corsair CX650M and the CX650 aside from the modularity of the CX650M?

EVGA 650w. Corsair power supplies have given my friends and I problems for a long time causing us to fill out RMA's to wait weeks for replacements. I haven't had a problem with my evga power supplies. 

There is a difference, the CX 650 is a Great Wall platform, the CX 650M is a CWT platform (which the also uses Corsair Vengeance). 

They are both good PSUs.

The CX650 is based on completely different internal platform that yield slightly better efficiency due to it (although it both is rated for 80+ Bronze). It uses a better rifle bearing fan; however, offer poor options for connectivity as it only has two 6+2 pin PEG connectors for the GPU, whereas the CXM version has four..

6 minutes ago, Mackelt said:

EVGA 650w. Corsair power supplies have given my friends and I problems for a long time causing us to fill out RMA's to wait weeks for replacements. I haven't had a problem with my evga power supplies. 

I'm able to give examples of people having issues with EVGA PSUs as well. In fact, one of Corsair line up are made by the same company and uses the same platform as EVGA, but unlike the EVGA platform, Corsair's version had included a heatsink on the bridge rectifier to ensure it doesn't burned out. Regardless of what problems you have had with Corsair, he was asking for a difference between the two unit - not for a recommendation.

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There is a difference, the CX 650 is a Great Wall platform, the CX 650M is a CWT platform (which the also uses Corsair Vengeance). 

They are both good PSUs.

How would this rate on the psu tier list

3 minutes ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

The CX650M is tier 4

Cant go wrong with a CXM

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 minutes ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

It has a better fan, and the reason why the CX 650M series got put in tier 3 was because of the sleeve-bearing fan. The CX 650 has a rifle-bearing fan, so maybe tier 2?

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The CX650M is tier 4

Cant go wrong with a CXM

It's "tier 3" according to STRMfrmXMN's tier, but anyway.

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It's tier 3, but anyway.

Tomshardware places it at t4, although their website is down so you cant really check. 

edit, its up:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It has a better fan, and the reason why the CX 650M series got put in tier 3 was because of the sleeve-bearing fan. The CX 650 has a rifle-bearing fan, so maybe tier 2?

It's "tier 3" according to STRMfrmXMN's tier, but anyway.

Wouldn't put too much credit into a tier system that takes what kind of fan into consideration that much. Tomshardware places it at t4

PSU.PNG.c5ab46e7d5a786cdc3a3cbd2c803f592.PNG

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:
6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Wouldn't put too much credit into a tier system that takes what kind of fan into consideration that much. Tomshardware places it at t4

PSU.PNG.c5ab46e7d5a786cdc3a3cbd2c803f592.PNG

Ok thanks

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Notice how the tom's hardware PSU tier doesn't have newer PSUs such as the Corsair Vengeance, it's old and hasn't even considered the newer Vengeance based CX and Great Wall based CX.

Also fans are important, a sleeve-bearing fan will die sooner than a more premium fan, such as a rifle-bearing, so the PSU will have a lower expected life.

How a unit is placed will differ based on how comprehensive their grading methodology as well as maintainer's knowledge / opinion on the subject. As such you are going to see list that may not necessarily agree with each other. For example, you may see list that ranges from 1-5, while a more comprehensive one may have 9 tiers. My ideal tier list will consist of sub-tiers that factor multiple of criteria individually which would be so comprehensive that the average reader probably can't make sense of it.

As for you not giving much credit on those who focus on the fan, I can say the same for Tom's. Tier two specifically states that it requires "Haswell C Stepping certification", and there are PSUs such as the Seasonic S12II-B / M12II-B (GB platform) listed there which is not and will not be certified for it by Intel. If they can't follow their own methodology, who is to say that I should give them any credit? While I do find it to be a bit strict that it's an auto drop to tier 3, at least STRM follows it. If you are going to pick at the credibility of one list, you should first look at the one that you are defending.

Also, I believe the CX / CXM in that tier list isn't talking about the current CX / M revision. It's talking about the older CX v3 / Mv1 models that's group-regulated. The one that the OP had linked to is DC-DC regulated which just that point alone is a vast improvement over the older revision.

4 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Notice how the tom's hardware PSU tier doesn't have newer PSUs such as the Corsair Vengeance, it's old and hasn't even considered the newer Vengeance based CX and Great Wall based CX.

Also fans are important, a sleeve-bearing fan will die sooner than a more premium fan, such as a rifle-bearing, so the PSU will have a lower expected life.

Thanks for pointing that out I didn't notice that and I forgot to specify the new ones so the CX 650 (2017) compared to the CX 650M(2016) excluding the fact of modularity

• 1 month later...

Sorry to point it out, everyone here is assuming. There are no reviews of the new CX units yet. They are manufactured by both CWT and Great Wall.

The CXM units have been reviewed and proven to be decent, so I'd say go with that.

All we know about the CX grey units is it has a different platform to the CXMs, with LLC resonant topology with DC - DC, and some protections.