Can I limit mining GPU usage? (Ethereum)

Hi all,

I'm running Genoil on a 1060 6Gb. while I'm mining and trying to work at the same time everything is stuttery, especially YouTube videos. I'm not sure if it's the core that's being maxed out or my VRAM, but is there a way to limit the GPU and VRAM usage just so it can run the desktop smoothly? I'm running 1440p@144Hz if it's at all important. 

Thanks for any help

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Elerek said:

Only mine when you aren't using the computer?

Never would have thought of that... 

I'm looking to be able to work while mining to maximize mining uptime

Does your cpu have integrated graphics? You could try to get your desktop and browser running on that to leave your gpu exclusive to the mining software.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

Sha256 & Script miners use the argument -I to specify intensity. The intensity affects how mush of a load it puts on the card. This value can be edited between 1 - 20. Back when I use to GPU mine Litecoin I set this to -I 12. This was enough to peg my GPU at full load while allowing me to maintain a usable system.

Etherium uses a different argument: -ethi

The default value is 8 but this can be changed to lessen or increase the load. (lower decreases stress, higher increases stress.)

So in your launcher.bat file add the argument "-ethi 7" and decrease it one by one until your game runs smoothly.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Sha256 & Script miners use the argument -I to specify intensity. The intensity affects how mush of a load it puts on the card. This value can be edited between 1 - 20. Back when I use to GPU mine Litecoin I set this to -I 12. This was enough to peg my GPU at full load while allowing me to maintain a usable system.

Etherium uses a different argument: -ethi

The default value is 8 but this can be changed to lessen or increase the load. (lower decreases stress, higher increases stress.)

So in your launcher.bat file add the argument "-ethi 7" and decrease it one by one until your game runs smoothly.

It tells me -ethi is not a valid command. Any ideas? Keep in mind it's Genoil miner

1 hour ago, Elerek said:

Does your cpu have integrated graphics? You could try to get your desktop and browser running on that to leave your gpu exclusive to the mining software.

It does, but I would prefer not to have to change the cables when I want to game. So looking for a software tweak, if there is one of course

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

It tells me -ethi is not a valid command. Any ideas? Keep in mind it's Genoil miner

Sorry, I thought Genoil was a video game you wanted to run while mining. Should have read your post slower. I'm not familiar with the Genoil miner but I find that when you download CMD based miners they often come with a "READ ME!!!.txt" file. This usually contains instructions on how to configure the miner. See if one is available.