Single Drive Partitioning - OS X, Windows, and Linux

Go to solution Solved by BestPCBuilder2017,

So I had to do some digging, but I figured it out.

It is possible to have a single drive formatted as MBR capable of storing NTFS, OS X Extended Journaled, and ext3 at once. 

The issue is that for some fucking weird ass reason, OS X/macOS/ShittyOS, does not want to partition an MBR drive for whatever fucking reason. The dumbest shit in the fucking world. 

The way around this is to do partitioning not on OS X/macOS, but rather Linux or Windows, once atleast two partitions have been made, you need to boot back to OS X/macOS, then select one of the partitions and format/erase it for OS X format. 

The button is literally grayed out/not available for use for partitioning an MBR drive for OS X/macOS. 

Here's the picture for proof if anyone's interested: Image.png.d544d1ebaeb86d18fe62e9f81c9f5a43.png

Just now, NumLock21 said:

UEFI works with both MBR or GPT

*and* not *or*. 

On topic: How are you installing the OS's? In what order? Maybe it makes a difference.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

On topic: How are you installing the OS's? In what order? Maybe it makes a difference.

That's the overall goal, but in order to get to that hierarchy, I had to first test if it would work for storing NTFS, OS X Extended Journaled, and Ext3 or Ext4 all on a single drive formatted entirely as MBR format. Which is the question I'm asking here, is it possible, and if so, how? 

I'm not really interested in Linux commands. 

22 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I tried that, this was the result: 

OSX does not natively support installing on disks without a GUID, which I don't believe MBR supports. There are workarounds and patch kexts you can install, but OSX's HFS+ expects a GUID for its' partition, which you usually need GPT formatting for.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, kirashi said:

OSX does not natively support installing on disks without a GUID,

Yes it does. It works fine for installing to MBR. 

My issue is partitioning for MBR for OS X Extended Journaled, NTFS, and EXT3 or EXT4

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

UEFI works with both MBR or GPT

Oh really? Do you have any proof on this? Please do tell. Or are you going to continue being unhelpful?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh really? Do you have any proof on this? Please do tell.

I'm running mbr on my desktop.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

My issue is partitioning for MBR for OS X Extended Journaled, NTFS, and EXT3 or EXT4

Oh, that is simple to solve. If everything on MBR. Just fire GParted, create your partitions as you like for each OS, and then format each partitions to each format.

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I'm running mbr on my desktop.

With Legacy mode enabled, yes. As mentioned on my post.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh, that is simple to solve. If everything on MBR. Just fire GParted, create your partitions as you like for each OS, and then format each partitions to each format.

Is that a Windows program, Linux related, Mac app or?... 

2 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

GParted is available from almost every Live Bootable Linux USB/DVD. It's a linux utility.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

It is quiet an interesting program, it is its own OS if you get the download from the website. (It is also a Linux program that can be installed there, but I recommend to get the standalone/OS version as you'll be doing some stuff that will most likely corrupt data if any are there). You download it and follow the site instruction to make put it on a USB Flash drive, or download the ISO and burn to disk if you don't want to break your head. Boot to it, it will start Linux, load everything on your RAM (no data is installed on your HDD's or SSD's), you have a desktop with GParted program, you double click on it, and you have the GUI based program that looks and behaves like any partitioning software.

http://gparted.org/download.php

You want to download "Download gparted-live-0.28.1-1-amd64.iso" for the disk version.

32 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is quiet an interesting program, it is its own OS if you get the download from the website. (It is also a Linux program that can be installed there, but I recommend to get the standalone/OS version as you'll be doing some stuff that will most likely corrupt data if any are there). You download it and follow the site instruction to make put it on a USB Flash drive, or download the ISO and burn to disk if you don't want to break your head. Boot to it, it will start Linux, load everything on your RAM (no data is installed on your HDD's or SSD's), you have a desktop with GParted program, you double click on it, and you have the GUI based program that looks and behaves like any partitioning software.

http://gparted.org/download.php

You want to download "Download gparted-live-0.28.1-1-amd64.iso" for the disk version.

The question now is, will it boot?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

The question now is, will it boot?

The question is, will OS X install to it along with the other 3 OSes. 

2 hours ago, NCIX Lampy said:

The question is, will OS X install to it along with the other 3 OSes. 

My question still stands. If it was as simple as installing windows and linux you won't even create this topic.  

Even if you do get it to install and it does not boot, then it's still fail.

Customer brings you a machine to reinstall a os. You installed but it does not boot. Does that mean it's fixed? No

Based on my logic on how cunt of apple is and all of the replies in this thread, the success rate of you succeeding is .1%, while failure is 99.9%.

Butthurt? No cause that's reality.

My post is the most helpful in this thread. If you manage to read it properly. 

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

My question still stands. If it was as simple as installing windows and linux you won't even create this topic.  

Correct.

Even if you do get it to install and it does not boot, then it's still fail.

No shit. 

Customer brings you a machine to reinstall a os. You installed but it does not boot. Does that mean it's fixed? No

Obviously. 

Based on my logic on how cunt of apple is and all of the replies in this thread, the success rate of you succeeding is .1%, while failure is 99.9%.

Butthurt? No cause that's reality.

I've never encountered an issue where a partitioning setup would cause it to not boot. What would cause it to not boot would be how the OSes were installed and additionally what installation order. Which is why a topic like that would be for something else. That is also not my question or why I am here. "butthurt"? No, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion and I'm to the point where I just don't care. 

6 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Correct.

No shit. 

Obviously. 

I've never encountered an issue where a partitioning setup would cause it to not boot. What would cause it to not boot would be how the OSes were installed and additionally what installation order. Which is why a topic like that would be for something else. That is also not my question or why I am here. "butthurt"? No, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion and I'm to the point where I just don't care. 

So is this on a mac or hackintosh?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

So is this on a mac or hackintosh?

It's for a very highly illegal Hackintosh that's going to create a nuclear bomb and launch a missile at Apple's EULA. It involves terrorism, bank robberies, the solar system, and butter. 

(It doesn't really matter. )

Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

It's for a very highly illegal Hackintosh that's going to create a nuclear bomb and launch a missile at Apple's EULA. It involves terrorism, bank robberies, the solar system, and butter. 

(It doesn't really matter. )

If Apple was really that user friendly, everyone can install OSX on any system that have, too bad they're not like that...

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

i have dual boot on my laptop. hackintosh + linux. i have 2 partitioms and drive is im gpt. i think mac os x dpes not work on mbr. if i wanted to install windows i would have to shrink any of those 2 partitions and install it there. so i would end up with 3 partitions. but i do not want trash in my laptop :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

So I had to do some digging, but I figured it out.

It is possible to have a single drive formatted as MBR capable of storing NTFS, OS X Extended Journaled, and ext3 at once. 

The issue is that for some fucking weird ass reason, OS X/macOS/ShittyOS, does not want to partition an MBR drive for whatever fucking reason. The dumbest shit in the fucking world. 

The way around this is to do partitioning not on OS X/macOS, but rather Linux or Windows, once atleast two partitions have been made, you need to boot back to OS X/macOS, then select one of the partitions and format/erase it for OS X format. 

The button is literally grayed out/not available for use for partitioning an MBR drive for OS X/macOS. 

Here's the picture for proof if anyone's interested: Image.png.d544d1ebaeb86d18fe62e9f81c9f5a43.png

• 3 weeks later...

So after doing some further digging... Very interesting... Very interesting indeed... 

594bee0f98e6e_Image1.png.27134fa3a7b749cba53aa2c3f57b4ad7.png594bee10827b6_Image2.png.1b2276b0bd2e33b77bc49333fb101cec.png594bee116f6c6_Image3.png.27334ef85877aa76a05b39e9b81986b6.png

It turns out, that on at least one earlier version of OS X, OS X Yosemite in particular, you actually could partition a MBR/Master Boot Record drive in Disk Utility and set each partition for formatting. It seams for some strange unknown reason though that it has been removed since, as far as I can tell anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...

You should almost always use GUID (EFI) partitioning table format. This is what macOS is expecting and I'm almost positive that the newer versions require it ( Could be wrong, as i have not tested this ). Windows and Linux will install fine on a mac with this partition type. If bootcamp is used to create a windows installation it sometimes creates an MBR table for that partition along side the GUID table ( at least it used to, that could have changed ). 

The only catch is with installing linux and macOS on the same Mac is sometimes you will have to install a custom EFI boot loader on the mac operating system to boot into linux ( easy to google search ). 

as a side note:

MBR looks like its being phased out as Windows 7, 8, and 10 no longer need it and like someone else in the thread stated, Macs haven't used it since the switch to intel chips was made. 

6 hours ago, ovrl0rd said:

You should almost always use GUID (EFI) partitioning table format.

Nope.

This is what macOS is expecting

Nope. 

and I'm almost positive that the newer versions require it ( Could be wrong, as i have not tested this ).

Nope.

Windows and Linux will install fine on a mac with this partition type. If bootcamp is used to create a windows installation it sometimes creates an MBR table for that partition along side the GUID table ( at least it used to, that could have changed ). 

You're telling me this because?

The only catch is with installing linux and macOS on the same Mac is sometimes you will have to install a custom EFI boot loader on the mac operating system to boot into linux ( easy to google search ). 

You're telling me/stating this because?

stop using that much spacing omfg lol

as a side note:

MBR looks like its being phased out as Windows 7, 8, and 10 no longer need it and like someone else in the thread stated, Macs haven't used it since the switch to intel chips was made. 

They are still able to use MBR. 

Please state the reasons for your post, I find them pointless.