Should I delete Avira? Any other suggestions?

Hey! I hope you are having a nice day!

I have Avira and Malwarebytes installed on my pc, I saw on pcmasterrace a huge controversial thread with a rant on Avira.. apparently  a lot of people agree that it is useless and slows down your computer, they strongly believe

that Windows Defender + Malwarebytes will protect our computers.

Should I uninstall Avira and use Windows Defender as my antivirus or should I keep Avira?

Any other suggestions if these two are not that good? I'm pulling out my hair right now. xD 

Thanks and have a nice day!

Personally, I use AVG (I tried Avast, and despite it being just as good as AVG, it blocked links from opening inside of discord) after watching a few reviews on it. Said same review mentioned Avira for the highest detection rate out of 1441 samples, though it allowed some PUPs to be installed. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

12 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Personally, I use AVG (I tried Avast, and despite it being just as good as AVG, it blocked links from opening inside of discord) after watching a few reviews on it. Said same review mentioned Avira for the highest detection rate out of 1441 samples, though it allowed some PUPs to be installed. 

Should I use Avast? And what is discord?

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Discord is just a chat/voicechat program. And I'd call Avast quite alright. 

I guess I will be uninstalling Avira :D ... Avast here I come?

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Discord is just a chat/voicechat program. And I'd call Avast quite alright. 

Thanks for your help :) 

Have a nice day

they call themselves PC Master race because they are all tens years old.

read this http://hotsoft.carleton.ca/~sonia/content/Lalonde-levesque_ccs13.pdf

it is scientific evidence that you should not take advice from children.

I would stay away from an antivirus that constantly scans in the background, you really just need your downloads, emails, and USB drives scanned. Use whatever anti-virus you want, however you dont really need more than windows defender & windows update.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I've used Avira before. The system scan is slow and takes a long time IMO

I recommend Bitdefender free antivirus, if you are willing to pay then get Bitdefender Internet Security

Runs quietly in background.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I would stay away from an antivirus that constantly scans in the background, you really just need your downloads, emails, and USB drives scanned. Use whatever anti-virus you want, however you dont really need more than windows defender & windows update.

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

I've used Avira before. The system scan is slow and takes a long time IMO

I recommend Bitdefender free antivirus, if you are willing to pay then get Bitdefender Internet Security

I just installed AVAST very light application! Has more features like gamemode (which is a payed feature in avira) and easy to use!

After some research I found out that Avast will scan 97% of files I believe Malwarebytes will take care of the other 3%.

If I am wrong please tell me xD

Thanks

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Oh, and, 

-Thread moved to Programs, Apps, and Features. Welcome to the forums btw. 

Thank You

7 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

What do you use?

9 minutes ago, EVEEL said:

What do you use?

I dont use windows. I do my web browsing and email on a live cd in a virtual machine. i only use windows for work and i use what i am given. every business is different. cheap companies use malwarebytes, others are supplied by parent company deals or they contract out their security and use a variety. You want my professional opinion they are all shit.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

You could've gotten the paid version of AVG Internet Security, for free, for an entire year.

Which is, IMO, much better than free anti viruses, from extra features, disabling ads(they aren't by default, easy to do in the advanced options, you can't do that in free versions) and a proper firewall instead of the trash that comes with windows and barely even function as a firewall.

Just the firewall alone helps A LOT in blocking threats, be it incoming or outgoing. (Especially in Interactive mode, might be annoying for the first 10 minutes while it ask you a lot of permissions, but after that, you have greater controls on what should or shouldn't have access to the internet, like say, a malware, or a software you illegally downloaded...)

http://www.avg.com/ca-en/download.prd-isc
Get the 64bit one.

This is only valid if you've never installed AVG on that computer before. (formatting and reinstalling it with the same key, will give you another year. I've used this for 2 or 3 years now)

(just don't click the "fix performances" button on the AVG interface, that's PUP, it will do a "scan" and then tell you to install some crapware to "fix it".)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, EVEEL said:

Hey! I hope you are having a nice day!

I have Avira and Malwarebytes installed on my pc, I saw on pcmasterrace a huge controversial thread with a rant on Avira.. apparently  a lot of people agree that it is useless and slows down your computer, they strongly believe

that Windows Defender + Malwarebytes will protect our computers.

Should I uninstall Avira and use Windows Defender as my antivirus or should I keep Avira?

Any other suggestions if these two are not that good? I'm pulling out my hair right now. xD 

Thanks and have a nice day!

Kaspersky Internet Security 2017

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

Stop wasting system resources for dysfunctional software. Remember that not a single virus scanner has found "WannaCry", also remember that most virus scanners have (had?) security holes themselves, including Microsoft's.

Get rid of Avira. Do not install a replacement. Enjoy your more secure, faster machine.

Write in C.

I have used avira for many years before a ton of junk got tacked on.

I only use the antivirus till this day simply because I have been virus free on any of it's been on throughout those years.

Never checked if it uses allot of resources but can't say I ever noticed seeing my average PC can run an antivirus no problem.

uninstalled Avira when I got sick of its constant nagging. Jesus every day it was asking me up upgrade. Every single day.

Now I use Bitdefender. No problems there

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

ive always used NOD32, never had a problem.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.