$785 1070 Build for my friend

You're sacrificing a lot to shove a 1070 into that, honestly.  I would drop to an RX 580 and upgrade the Power Supply to a 650W modular and get an SSD.

Also, there's a forum for New Builds and Planning.  Post these there, not in General Discussion.

Just now, CerberusLabrat said:

You're sacrificing a lot to shove a 1070 into that, honestly.  I would drop to an RX 580 and upgrade the Power Supply to a 650W modular and get an SSD.

Also, there's a forum for New Builds and Planning.  Post these there, not in General Discussion.

Why ? Its already been discussed on here a few times, anything over 550 for a single TOP TIER card is overkill. for a RX580/1070 you can easily go 450w and have lots of headroom. 

@CadetSparklez actually a solid build. Only thing swap the Corsair AF for the SP, linus has done videos on it, the SP matches the AF for air flow but it can also be used with rads. so same look and all that but least you can get a double use out of it. BUT big one here, I'd look at ditching the HDD and rather finding a way for a 240gb SSD. it will make such a performance increase and once he saves up laters its super easy to just add a HDD. Yes he won't be able to horde movies and music but if he's gaming the performance gain is completely worth it. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Why? because all the power supplies I've ever dealt with below 650W are sketch AF. 

EVGA SuperNOVA and Corsair AXi/RMx are my go-to choices.

Mostly I was saying that any PSU under $40 (really under $50) is sketch to me, and that I would much rather have an SSD than the slight bump from RX 580 to 1070.

I got an i7 7700, Asus Prime Z270-A, 2x8gb Hyperx FURY 2400 ram and a GTX 1070 Super Jetstream from Palit.

All that with a 650W Power Supply. I guess 450W will be enough.

But having more in your Power Supply is always better and saver.

Swapped down to a  nice RX 580 and dropped the fans, got a much, much better CPU and threw in a ssd.  A more balanced build all around.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dLLsr7
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dLLsr7/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($218.30 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($78.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($94.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB AORUS 8G Video Card  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Corsair) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.78 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $789.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-17 17:21 EDT-0400

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

15 minutes ago, CerberusLabrat said:

Why? because all the power supplies I've ever dealt with below 650W are sketch AF. 

EVGA SuperNOVA and Corsair AXi/RMx are my go-to choices.

Mostly I was saying that any PSU under $40 (really under $50) is sketch to me, and that I would much rather have an SSD than the slight bump from RX 580 to 1070.

Ikr, its just on sale for 20, I can sub for a 500b but 450w should be fine, I usually go by adding 100w to the suggested amount

Just now, CadetSparklez said:

Ikr, its just on sale for 20, I can sub for a 500b but 450w should be fine, I usually go by adding 100w to the suggested amount

You are aware wattage isn't a measure of quality right?

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

You are aware wattage isn't a measure of quality right?

yeah but evga and corsair are generally good, but I mean I can just add on $15 for a better one, he has a budget of $1000

He is just gaming so that's why only went with a quad core/8 thread, here is my personal one though

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CadetSparklez/saved/K8BjXL

(price holder) https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CadetSparklez/saved/#view=DtXQ7P

Heads up, NEX isn't worth the amount you'd end up paying for it. You can get a better quality PSU for cheaper.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Heads up, NEX isn't worth the amount you'd end up paying for it. You can get a better quality PSU for cheaper.

true

just alot of other gold rateds were kinda sketchy or had red and yellow cables, Ill look into some more though

yeah but evga and corsair are generally good, but I mean I can just add on $15 for a better one, he has a budget of $1000

Picking purely off brand is a bad idea as well. EVGA has some extremely good PSUs, no doubt.( b2, Gq, gs, g3, etc.) however, they have just as many lackluster and poor quality ones. (NEX, B1, N1, etc) As for the case, that's purely user based and subjective.

just alot of other gold rateds were kinda sketchy or had red and yellow cables, Ill look into some more though

Efficiency isn't a direct measure of quality either btw.

3 minutes ago, CadetSparklez said:

He is just gaming so that's why only went with a quad core/8 thread, here is my personal one though

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CadetSparklez/saved/K8BjXL

(price holder) https://pcpartpicker.com/user/CadetSparklez/saved/#view=DtXQ7P

I don't know why that seems expensive...

Then again I might be spoiled

Mine is including a mouse/keyboard and display btw

also your 4770k is $0 for some reason

I was referring to the $2,011 list. but I also don't have a PCIe SSD, I'm two generations behind on Intel CPUs, annnnd I have way more HDDs than I have any right to be running lol.

My 4770k was free - I bought a full build off a guy on craigslist, took the 4770K and sold the rest of that system piecemeal for more money than I'd paid for the system and my original 4570K combined.

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Picking purely off brand is a bad idea as well. EVGA has some extremely good PSUs, no doubt.( b2, Gq, gs, g3, etc.) however, they have just as many lackluster and poor quality ones. (NEX, B1, N1, etc) As for the case, that's purely user based and subjective.

These are my first builds so I don't have a lot of experience with which ones are good, any suggestions?