UK NHS cyber attack

9 minutes ago, techy_pcbuilder said:

The NHS (UK's national health service has suffered a potential cyber attack: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

Why do people do this all it will do is get you in jail. Idiots 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, techy_pcbuilder said:

The NHS (UK's national health service has suffered a potential cyber attack: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

wow, just imagining how many patients are critically ill right now and the NHS cant get their details, spooky, you could be dying and you wont be able to get any help 

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

To be fair that kind of organisation have somewhat serious attacks each day or each two days 

Looks like someone paid the ransom this afternoon, this is going off the article the BBC have with the screenshot present.

_96032466_ransomeware.jpg

blockchain.JPG.7c453451a12224bc1eb1daa3f74a95b0.JPG

https://blockchain.info/address/12t9YDPgwueZ9NyMgw519p7AA8isjr6SMw

As for the attack itself, likely a domain user with privileges higher than they should of had opening an unsolicited email attachment.

File Clusters and shares etc would of got nuked and affected any system the end user had domain privs to.

This is why people should use technologies such as AppLocker and implement very strict rule sets on Access Protection to the environment with any protecting AV software.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why are people such assholes? Like people can actually die over this.

Simple. Can you name one other company you know will pay you as fast as possible? 

Think of how bad the PR would be if they didn't pay it and someone died.

19 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Maybe it was just a byproduct and not the main target?

22 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Jail time is easy time for some people. 

And for those people, in the present, the reward outweighs the possible consequences 

Well although it's really bad, it's kinda cool that someone just brought down one of the largest health providers in the world

Hello

12 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

Sick bastards. Don't hold people's health hostage.

tbf it is probably a wild virus rather than a targeted attack. 

edit from the article

NHS Digital said the ransomware attack was not "specifically targeted at the NHS" and was affecting other organisations.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

42 minutes ago, techy_pcbuilder said:

So, this is a massive ransomware that is going around under the title of WCry v2.0 that appears to have been detected about half a day ago...  Unfortunately, it's not just affecting NHS, but appears to having a global impact and they have yet to trace the source or transmission method of it.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/telefonica-tells-employees-to-shut-down-computers-amid-massive-ransomware-outbreak/

A ransomware outbreak is wreaking havoc all over the world, but especially in Spain, where Telefonica — one of the country's biggest telecommunications companies — has fallen victim, and its IT staff is desperately telling employees to shut down computers and VPN connections in order to limit the ransomware's reach.

The culprit for these attacks is v2.0 of the WCry ransomware, also known as WannaCry or WanaCrypt0r ransomware. For those affected, you can discuss this ransomware and receive support in the dedicated WanaCrypt0r & Wana Decrypt0r Help & Support Topic.

WCry ransomware explodes in massive distribution wave

Version 1.0 of this ransomware was discovered by Malwarebytes researcher S!Ri on February 10 and then spotted in a brief campaign on March 25 by GData security researcher Karsten Hahn.

Version 2.0 was detected for the first time around four hours ago by independent security researcher MalwareHunter. The security researcher says the ransomware came out of nowhere and started spreading like wildfire.

In these first four hours, WCry 2.0 made more victims than Jaff, a ransomware spotted this week distributed via the Necurs botnet, the former home of the Locky ransomware. In numbers, in just four hours WCry made 1.5 times more victims than Jaff did all week.

Currently, researchers weren't able to pinpoint the exact origin of the WCry distribution campaign. At the moment, it could be from malvertising, exploit kits, email spam, or hand-cranked RDP attacks

Ars Technica is planning to do an update of this topic as they develop a clearer idea of what has gone on...

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/nhs-ransomware-cyber-attack/

As for the Spain ransomware attacks, @SpaceGhostC2C has a thread with a lot more details on it...

I just heard from a friend who works at the NHS that medical data was breached, Idk to what extent and at what point of the attack but some or most of the countries medical records are probably going to be available soon.:(

Hello

I was only at my doctors for a routine appointment earlier today, so people at work have been joking what have I been doing in there...

For data this critical, I'm both surprised and also not surprised it is that vulnerable, since that would imply they had a level of competence this is now obviously not there. Even if they had recent backups, filling in the gaps is not going to be trivial.

At best, this will serve as a wake up call for all organisations to beef up defences and working procedures.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just an FYI, its reported very recently that the NHS isn't the only organisation that's been hit today, apparently its been a world wide coordinated attack.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Just an FYI, its reported very recently that the NHS isn't the only organisation that's been hit today, apparently its been a world wide coordinated attack.

But for something as important to the country as this, they should have more security and protection plans if this stuff happens

Hello

To be honest I'm surprised something terrible hasn't happened sooner, and more often, to any number of countries.  The sad fact is governments and even many large important companies seriously cheap out on IT, even through it's not even a significant expense when done right, and the consequences end up being 1000x worse than just paying the cost of having secure and reliable systems.  Things being leaked, stolen, lost, etc. is going to just continue happening until people learn the importance of listening to the people who know how to do their job properly, instead of firing them for being too expensive.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

What site was the screenshot from?

Hello

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To be honest I'm surprised something terrible hasn't happened sooner, and more often, to any number of countries.  The sad fact is governments and even many large important companies seriously cheap out on IT, even through it's not even a significant expense when done right, and the consequences end up being 1000x worse than just paying the cost of having secure and reliable systems.  Things being leaked, stolen, lost, etc. is going to just continue happening until people learn the importance of listening to the people who know how to do their job properly, instead of firing them for being too expensive.

I agree, A lot of hospitals still use Windows XP and only a few I have seen on W7

Hello

1 minute ago, TAHIRMIA said:

I agree, A lot of hospitals still use Windows XP and only a few I have seen on W7

While that is both unsurprising and highly disturbing, it's also barely the tip of the iceberg.  There's so much to having a good system beyond just choice of OS, and it so often is so far from what they actually implement it's not even funny

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.