Recommend me a switch for home use...

Gerr

My switch is acting up, so need a replacement.  These are the specs I would like.

16-24 Gigabit ports (prefer 24 as 16 cuts it close.  I could do 48, but don't need that many)

Supports VLANS

Supports LACP (I have 2 servers with 2 NIC's each)

Supports POE on at least 4 ports (both 48v & 24v would be ideal, but I can buy an adapter for the 24v if only 48v)

Runs quiet and/or can replace fans with quiet versions

$150 or under, don't mind used

Right now, have my eye on either the Netgear GS728TP or GS516TP switches, but those are hard to find within my price range.  I am Cisco certified, so full Cisco switches are an option, but those are also usually out of my price range.  Any other recommendations?

That switch isn't managed, so no vlans, no lacp, no poe.

I figured as much, which is why I said I don't mind used.

Go on eBay and look for some managed switch, plenty of Allied Telesyn , Netgear etc 24-48 switches.

Or go on sites like WebHostingTalk where datacenter people sometimes sell their older equipment -

Here's an example : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1644724

Cisco 4948-10GE - $250 ea, have 7 in stock, take all 7 take em for $225 a pop.
Cisco 2960G-24TC-L - $85 ea OBO, including RM ears, have 9 in stock

Remember, for home use, so don't want it loud and don't want it sucking a lot of juice.  For those reasons, not looking at Cisco, at least not yet.

Found something that might work...Dell X1018P, and get it new for around $150.

Those ports are only 10/100 with two 1000 uplink ports.  I need ALL ports 10/100/1000.

8 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Remember, for home use, so don't want it loud and don't want it sucking a lot of juice.  For those reasons, not looking at Cisco, at least not yet.

Found something that might work...Dell X1018P, and get it new for around $150.

You said you're willing to replace fans , so if the price is right replacing a couple of fans shouldn't be that much of a big deal.

A 24 port gigabit switch for 85$ shipping included with all those features a Cisco would have seems like a good enough price to me, and power consumption shouldn't be that much (the pictures say the switch can be powered with 12v DC up to 10.5A so I guess it may use up to 120 watts, but i sincerely doubt it uses more than 50 watts with just a few ports used).

ya, I am willing to replace fans, but it's a PITA and would prefer if I didn't have to.  Also, I don't think those 2960G switches have PoE.

The problem is that those kind of switch usually are towards business use and not home use, so they will all have some loud fans in some extend. I had some Nedgear POE switches that were not really noisy but all managed 24 port switches with POE will make noice when running.

I would suggest waiting for a good deal on the GS728TP since it has pretty much everything you want and it sometimes goes for your targeted budget.

Well if second hand is an option and you live in the USA then as a Cisco person you should already know what to look for. 

Get yourself a lovely 3560g/3750g with poe or 3560e/3750e with poe, you will have all your boxes ticked and be withing budget.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

3 hours ago, legopc said:

Well if second hand is an option and you live in the USA then as a Cisco person you should already know what to look for. 

Get yourself a lovely 3560g/3750g with poe or 3560e/3750e with poe, you will have all your boxes ticked and be withing budget.

What's the difference on the g and e models?

Just now, NoobCase said:

What's the difference on the g and e models?

g = Gigabit
e = Fast Ethernet

On 5-5-2017 at 9:32 PM, CatBoiler said:

g = Gigabit
e = Fast Ethernet

No... If you dont know the difference then dont post... 

G is indeed gigabit but E is i have no idea what it stands for but it comes with 2 10gig ports. You might want to look at the cisco datasheets for these switches. 

They are not at all loud, both g and e switches are damn silent... I used to some noise but having these switches next to me is no issue.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

1 hour ago, legopc said:

No... If you dont know the difference then dont post... 

G is indeed gigabit but E is i have no idea what it stands for but it comes with 2 10gig ports. You might want to look at the cisco datasheets for these switches. 

They are not at all loud, both g and e switches are damn silent... I used to some noise but having these switches next to me is no issue.

Sorry, I should have checked the datasheet before posting literaly less than a minute after his question. I though it was like the Netgear switches with the Configuration Letter E-G-T for one moment, but these represents whole series for cisco.

Take a look at the Cisco Small Business Range. The SG300 series are 1gb switches with management. You should be able to pick up one on them on ebay for your budget and they have speed controlled fans. They have both WebGUI and Console. Its a almost cisco CLI, close enough so that you will feel right at home.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:42 PM, Nikolithebear said:

Weirdly I need a new switch to replace my home switch as well.  Is this a passively cooled one or fan cooled? 

Edit:  It has fans dosent it? 

passively cooled says on the page

You could also go with a Cisco switch but you would need to learn the IOS if you don't already know it.

I've always had a great time with the HP ProCurves but I have to ask, The hell you running in your house that not only you need 24 ports but also PoE ports ?! 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333