Is It Worth The 2014 Macbook Pro Now?

I am planning to buy a mobile workstation for my daily workflows, occasional 4K editing and a lot of Illustrator / Photoshop / InDesign.. I do not have a lot of money to spend on a laptop (~1500$). I looked over the internet and I found the mid 2014 model with the NVIDIA card and a 512GB SSD... This should be the best choice for me, I think. What's your opinion guys, is it worth it nowadays, should I opt for something else? Another great choice for me would be the 2015 Dell XPS 15 with the 1080p panel - is it okay for print ready work? I've searched online and it covers 95% of sRGB, but I couldn't find how much it covers from the  Adobe color spectrum. Which panel is better? The 4K display would be a far better alternative, but my pocket is really crying at this moment. Thanks! :D

As Final Cut Pro uses Quicksync to help with video editing and exports, a Mac may not be a bad choice for 4K editing. You would want a Haswell in there or better. Pretty sure the 2014 model is using a Haswell chip.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

As Final Cut Pro uses Quicksync to help with video editing and exports, a Mac may not be a bad choice for 4K editing. You would want a Haswell in there or better. Pretty sure the 2014 model is using a Haswell chip.

Yes it is. Hopefully the 2014 will be the pick. :D

my late 2013 MacBook pro 15 inches is still going strong, gonna hit 4 years this October. it still feels like a new laptop, i am planning on keeping it for a ling time. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

my late 2013 MacBook pro 15 inches is still going strong, gonna hit 4 years this October. it still feels like a new laptop, i am planning on keeping it for a ling time. 

Totally agree with you. A friend of mine bought an early 2009 MacBook Pro and he is pretty impressed, especially for Lightroom editing. I do imagine the performance difference between the mid 2014 and the early 2009 mac.

What is your budget? You might be able to get a newer one for the same or cheaper. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)