BMW to introduce the Wireless Charging 530e in 2018

BMW has revealed their newest hybrid electric vehicle that is projected to hit the markets in 2018 called the BMW 530e iPerformance (because everything needs a small 'i' in it's name somewhere:P).  One of the unique points for this hybrid-electric vehicle over some of the previous offerings is that this one will have the ability for wireless charging.  From the article at TechCrunch:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/28/bmws-plug-in-hybrid-530e-iperformance-will-get-wireless-charging/

The variant’s options include a forthcoming wireless charging pad, targeting a 2018 release window, which will include a charging pad drivers can install in their garage and drive over to provide a power supply with rates up to 3.2 kW, with a total charging time for refilling the vehicle’s onboard battery of about three and a half hours.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0269733EN/the-bmw-530e-iperformance

ac477b70-5f75-428c-9868-ea4871b1536b.jpg.7dc78ebbee5a0df79302d12d77847acd.jpg

Looking at the specs on BMWs site you end up with

• electric motor output: 83 kW/ 113 hp
  • 2.0 liter 4-cylinder motor output: 135 kW/ 184 hp
  • Overall output: 185 kW/ 252 hp and peak torque at 420 NM (310 lb-ft)
  • CO2 emissions are at 44 g/km
  • Driving Range: 650 km (404 miles)
  • Electric Driving Range: 50 km (31 miles)
  • 0-100 km/h in 6.2 seconds and a top speed of 235 km/h
  • Battery pack capacity of 9.2 kWh.
  • Fuel economy: 1.9 L per 100 km (148.7 mpg)

BMWs information on the charging service:

Unique charging innovations for the high-voltage battery: the BMW Digital Charging Service and BMW Wireless Charging.

The high-voltage battery pack consisting of lithium-ion cells with a total capacity of 9.2 kWh has been placed in a space-saving location underneath the rear seat and includes efficient refrigerant cooling with a highly integrated low-temperature circuit. Thanks to the battery’s neat installation, the BMW 530e iPerformance offers 410 litres of boot capacity and a flat load compartment floor. The high-voltage battery of the BMW 530e iPerformance can be fully charged in under five hours from a standard domestic power socket and in under three hours if it is hooked up to a BMW i Wallbox (3.7 kW charging capacity).

With its BMW Digital Charging Service, BMW is the world’s first car maker to offer a service providing forward-thinking, comfortable and cost-efficient charging that is optimised for the use of green energy. On each occasion, the charging process is managed so that the vehicle always has access to full battery capacity at the required departure time – and, if desired, allows the cabin temperature to be pre-conditioned.

The BMW Digital Charging Service is based on two core functions: optimising battery charging in terms of both tariffs and the use of solar power. With tariff-optimised charging, the service adjusts the vehicle charging plan to the customer’s electricity tariff, so the process incurs the lowest possible electricity cost. If the customer has a BMW Wallbox Connect, solar-optimised charging allows electricity generated by their home solar power system to be prioritised for charging. Here, the system’s output data and the latest weather forecast are used to predict the amount of locally generated solar power available. If the necessary measuring equipment is installed, this information can also be used to determine what proportion of the solar power is not being used in the house at the time of generation and can therefore be diverted to provide virtually emission-free mobility. This enables vehicles with all-electric or part-electric power units to be integrated as effectively as possible into the home environment and the customer’s personal energy set-up.

In addition, BMW Wireless Charging for the high-voltage battery will be made available as an option for the BMW 530e iPerformance from 2018. This technology allows energy transfer to take place without the use of cables. Presented by BMW in prototype form, the system consists of a base pad with integrated primary coil – which can be installed in a garage, for example, but also in the open – and a secondary coil integrated in the underside of the vehicle. An alternating magnetic field is generated between the two coils, through which electricity is transmitted without cables or contacts at a charge rate of up to 3.2 kW. This form of power supply to the high-voltage battery is extremely convenient for customers and involves a charging time of around three-and-a-half hours.

This is kind of neat in the fact that you don't have to worry about plugging in the vehicle to get your electric charge and if you are only driving for 30 miles or so in a day, you can just operate in a nearly all electric mode.  I think my one major concern is the power output of the wireless charger...  I wouldn't personally want to stand too close to it and might worry a bit about how this might affect other electronic devices...  Anyone want to put their wireless charging phone on the pad and see if it instantly charges up or fries?

Wasted power if you ask me, Wireless charging is crap at efficiency, lots of power is outputted as heat. 

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

4 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

(because everything needs a small 'i' in it's name somewhere:P). 

BMW was the original one to use the i in their naming scheme. Apple did it later. Just wanted to point that out.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

19 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

BMW was the original one to use the i in their naming scheme. Apple did it later. Just wanted to point that out.

I think they might have done this around the same time... The iDrive came out in 1999 and the iMac came out in 1998, unless you're thinking of a different 'i' product from BMW.

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

I think they might have done this around the same time... The iDrive came out in 1999 and the iMac came out in 1998, unless you're thinking of a different 'i' product from BMW.

No they used it to name the cars in the mid 90's.

E38 750i - 1995

E31 850CSi - 1995 (I have a model of this one)

E39 540i - 1997

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

No they used it to name the cars in the mid 90's.

E38 750i - 1995

E39 540i - 1997

I think they began adding the 'i' after the model number sometime in the 70's to indicate that it was fuel injected...  This is probably one of those funny things left over from when the car manufacturers were changing their vehicle engines over from carbureted to fuel injection and would have the same engines out there with different injection methods.

34 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I think they began adding the 'i' after the model number sometime in the 70's to indicate that it was fuel injected...  This is probably one of those funny things left over from when the car manufacturers were changing their vehicle engines over from carbureted to fuel injection and would have the same engines out there with different injection methods.

Its that and something else, cant think of it, later it was used with BMWi for an offshoot eco BMW model. Now its used with the i3, i5 and i8.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

sooo... I'm on the top of the call list when you decide to sell this car right? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

28 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

sooo... I'm on the top of the call list when you decide to sell this car right? 

Its just a model (plastic) and my son has already called dibs, sorry.

*edit

I dont have a picture of it but it is similar to this one but it has more sportier look to it. More black outlines.

Image result for E31 850CSi plastic model

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Its just a model (plastic) and my son has already called dibs, sorry.

*edit

I dont have a picture of it but it is similar to this one but it has more sportier look to it. More black outlines.

I thought you had an actual model. That car is my dream. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

On 2017-4-28 at 7:18 PM, WMGroomAK said:

BMW 530e 

Ahhh back in the day this would mean it is a 3 litre. BMW please.

Even Mercedes has also deviated quite a bit too from their naming scheme. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On 4/28/2017 at 9:24 PM, pbx2 said:

Wasted power if you ask me, Wireless charging is crap at efficiency, lots of power is outputted as heat. 

I truly expect it to overheat and blow up, especially in hot days/nights

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

I truly expect it to overheat and blow up, especially in hot days/nights

Do you really think it's never been tested in a hot environment?

Also, why would it blow up? It's induction, super simple, no moving parts.

11 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Ahhh back in the day this would mean it is a 3 litre. BMW please.

Even Mercedes has also deviated quite a bit too from their naming scheme. 

The 330d/530d is still a 3.0 6 cylinder, though as the d indicates it runs on diesel. To get a 6 cylinder 3.0 petrol engine you need the 340i/540i weirdly. I guess they need to differentiate all the 2.0 engines from each other.

4 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

The 330d/530d is still a 3.0 6 cylinder, though as the d indicates it runs on diesel. To get a 6 cylinder 3.0 petrol engine you need the 340i/540i weirdly. I guess they need to differentiate all the 2.0 engines from each other.

I know those are still the same. 540i to me indicates 4 litre V8 though. Unfortunately not the case. 

Just funny when it's a 2.0

M135i and M140i are goofy too. Same engines just M140i has more power. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III