Best used graphics card for ~$100 US?

GollyGee

Hello,

I'm interested in finding a used GPU that would pair nicely with an i5-2400 (i3-6100 performance, but with 4 cores) for around $100. By pairing nicely, I mean not a huge bottleneck but not underpowered. I'll mainly be using the card for gaming on some semi-taxing games at 1080p, preferably above 60fps on high/ultra.

Thanks for your suggestions!

4 minutes ago, GollyGee said:

Hello,

I'm interested in finding a used GPU that would pair nicely with an i5-2400 (i3-6100 performance, but with 4 cores) for around $100. By pairing nicely, I mean not a huge bottleneck but not underpowered. I'll mainly be using the card for gaming on some semi-taxing games at 1080p, preferably above 60fps on high/ultra.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Used RX 470 perhaps?

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Used RX 470 perhaps?

Not a bad idea.

7970/7950?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Used RX470 would be a good idea yeah and with the latest rumors you probably can even flash it to an "570" if you go hardcore

3 minutes ago, Jrock said:

7970/7950?

Not enough horsepower, I think. My best idea is a 290 or 290X non reference. Good idea or not?

9 minutes ago, GollyGee said:

Not enough horsepower, I think. My best idea is a 290 or 290X non reference. Good idea or not?

If he can find an x for under $100 and has a good PSU, then yes. The 470 or a used 960 (probably the most viable option, though I have seen a gtx 4gig for $100 USD a couple of times on Craigslist). Graphics cards are a bitch to find used at decent prices unless you know someone personally or online that will help you out, since oversea buyers pay retail for used cards since they cost 1.5-3x as much where they live.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

1 minute ago, crzyces said:

If he can find an x for under $100 and has a good PSU, then yes. The 470 or a used 960 (probably the most viable option, though I have seen a gtx 4gig for $100 USD a couple of times on Craigslist). Graphics cards are a bitch to find used at decent prices unless you know someone personally or online that will help you out, since oversea buyers pay retail for used cards since they cost 1.5-3x as much where they live.

There's a 290x for about $100. I think I'll hop on that deal.

19 minutes ago, GollyGee said:

Heh, I would too. I just saw a gtx 770 for $70 usd including shipping on one of Linus' other forums.

If the 1050 ti isn't enough, this sure wouldn't be either, though it is a good price.

39 minutes ago, GollyGee said:

I think an r9 280x 3 gig is about the best you are going to get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerColor-TurboDuo-Radeon-R9-280X-DirectX11-2-AXR9-280X-3GBD5-T2DHE-OC-GPU-/172633681990?hash=item2831c4f046:g:pwsAAOSwJ4hY-iD2

People are trying to sell broken ones for %50-$75 usd. Stupid people. I'll update here if I find anything worthwhile.

r9 290 4gb for $132

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Radeon-R9-290-4GB-512-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-Graphics-Card-/262950127811?hash=item3d390c88c3:g:D4UAAOSwSypY~PCj

Edited by crzyces

18 minutes ago, crzyces said:

If the 1050 ti isn't enough, this sure wouldn't be either, though it is a good price.

Are you talking about the 770? If so, then I agree. However, the 290x is about equal to the RX 480, so it's pretty powerful. Not so sure about 770s...I think Nvidia dropped driver support or something, so now they're bad. Idk, I'll look into it.

4 minutes ago, GollyGee said:

Are you talking about the 770? If so, then I agree. However, the 290x is about equal to the RX 480, so it's pretty powerful. Not so sure about 770s...I think Nvidia dropped driver support or something, so now they're bad. Idk, I'll look into it.

They still have legacy support for 500's so I am pretty sure they still support 700's.

The 280x I listed is roughly the same as a 1060 3gb, and the the 290 is in between a 1060 3gb and 480 4gb. I'm only posting"Buy it Now" or "Buy it Now or Best offer" ones, not auctions.

6 minutes ago, crzyces said:

They still have legacy support for 500's so I am pretty sure they still support 700's.

The 280x I listed is roughly the same as a 1060 3gb, and the the 290 is in between a 1060 3gb and 480 4gb. I'm only posting"Buy it Now" or "Buy it Now or Best offer" ones, not auctions.

Thanks for the help!

15 minutes ago, crzyces said:

The 280x I listed is roughly the same as a 1060 3gb

Are you basing this solely on vram? The 280x falls behind the 1060 significantly. 

(No hate, just sayin')

8 minutes ago, GollyGee said:

Thanks for the help!

I'm always there anyway, looking for cheap sli 1333 boards with dual x5650's and RAM. Easy builds, easy flips, easy over clocks, and lots of fun.

1 minute ago, GollyGee said:

Are you basing this solely on vram? The 280x falls behind the 1060 significantly. 

(No hate, just sayin')

Not soley. It's not too far behind. It's not like 60fps on high too 15. Let's face it, budget is the problem, that's why the best bet is local Craigslist or a friend. Something will show up on eBay, the problem is, you have to catch it and jump right away, as if a decent mid range card of last gen is up for what it's worth, it is gone in less than 15 minutes.

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

I'm always there anyway, looking for cheap sli 1333 boards with dual x5650's and RAM. Easy builds, easy flips, easy over clocks, and lots of fun.

Dual 290s in there... that would make an insane low-mid budget used build.

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Let's face it, budget is the problem, that's why the best bet is local Craigslist or a friend. Something will show up on eBay, the problem is, you have to catch it and jump right away, as if a decent mid range card of last gen is up for what it's worth, it is gone in less than 15 minutes.

I'm seeing what you're saying, but eBay is the easiest for me. BTW this inspired me: 

Supply and demand has a lot of effect on GPU prices.  $100 is a bit tricky because that's sort of the new 'bottom line' for discrete gaming video cards.  You'll really need to look at around the $70 range before you see the added benefit of used, or around the $150 for the next step up.  If you're building from the ground up sometimes it's better to go for the 1050/460 for the lesser power consumption. 

Radeon 7000s/200s/GF700s for under 75.

900s, especially 970s for around $150.

16 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

If you're building from the ground up sometimes it's better to go for the 1050/460 for the lesser power consumption. 

I'm not building from the ground up, I have an Optiplex 990 that I'm converting into a semi-sleeper rig (keeping the motherboard, CPU, ram, case, hard drive, etc, but replacing psu and adding a gpu)

14 minutes ago, GollyGee said:

I'm not building from the ground up, I have an Optiplex 990 that I'm converting into a semi-sleeper rig (keeping the motherboard, CPU, ram, case, hard drive, etc, but replacing psu and adding a gpu)

You could get away with the stock psu on a 1050 ti if you wanted.  They hold their own as long as you're not adding pci-e connectors into the mix.  I also think it would match up well with an i5-2400.

2 hours ago, GollyGee said:

I've considered this. However, I would like more performance than this, so I think used is the way to go.

i doubt you can find a reliable card that is noticeably faster than  GTX 1050ti for less than 100$...i would buy the geforce 1050ti card honestly.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 hours ago, GollyGee said:

I wouldn't buy a reference blower 290x since those were likely mining cards with really heavy use on them. But if it's an open air card that's a whole other story. Then it's a hell of a deal as long as it's working properly.