Best used graphics card for ~$100 US?

GollyGee
7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i doubt you can find a reliable card that is noticeably faster than  GTX 1050ti for less than 100$...i would buy the geforce 1050ti card honestly.

I would too, but I value a warranty a lot more than most people here I think. I'd happily trade in a little performance for the peace of mind in knowing my card will work for three years. Especially now after the node shrink to 14/16 nm that has made the Nvidia 600/700 series completely obsolete, as well as the 950, 960, and every AMD card below the R9 290. But I can't fault dude for going with a 290x if he can get it for $100. At least if it's an aftermarket card so that it wasn't likely to have been used for Litecoin mining. I know if I sold my 970 I'd probably put it up for $110 maybe $120 since I'd consider that a fair price for a 2.5 year-old but still working great 970 today.

42 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I wouldn't buy a reference blower 290x since those were likely mining cards with really heavy use on them. But if it's an open air card that's a whole other story. Then it's a hell of a deal as long as it's working properly.

I sure hope it does work. It's not reference, don't worry.

50 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

3 hours ago, GollyGee said:

I've considered this. However, I would like more performance than this, so I think used is the way to go.

i doubt you can find a reliable card that is noticeably faster than  GTX 1050ti for less than 100$...i would buy the geforce 1050ti card honestly.

R9 280X, 290, 290X are all faster, and you can get them under $100. Reliability...that's the danger of buying used, but I'm all good.

49 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I would too, but I value a warranty a lot more than most people here I think. I'd happily trade in a little performance for the peace of mind in knowing my card will work for three years. Especially now after the node shrink to 14/16 nm that has made the Nvidia 600/700 series completely obsolete, as well as the 950, 960, and every AMD card below the R9 290. But I can't fault dude for going with a 290x if he can get it for $100. At least if it's an aftermarket card so that it wasn't likely to have been used for Litecoin mining. I know if I sold my 970 I'd probably put it up for $110 maybe $120 since I'd consider that a fair price for a 2.5 year-old but still working great 970 today.

YES BUT gtx 1050ti and i5-2400 can play all modern games at 1080p 60fps medium in modern demanding titles and many slightly older but still amazing games it can play 1080p ultra...it's a good match, quiet, efficient, pretty fast cheap brand new graphics card at good price...

he probably need a new psu and case and fans and what not to run an r9 or rx card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

41 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

YES BUT gtx 1050ti and i5-2400 can play all modern games at 1080p 60fps medium in modern demanding titles and many slightly older but still amazing games it can play 1080p ultra...it's a good match, quiet, efficient, pretty fast cheap brand new graphics card at good price...

he probably need a new psu and case and fans and what not to run an r9 or rx card.

If I were buying a low price card for mid settings new, I would buy the rx470/570 4gb depending on which was cheaper at the time, even if the $15 difference in the 1050 ti meant I had to wait a week to save. The performance is worth it in my book. I would take a 1050ti over a 280x for the same price. 290x *if* they were the same price and it did not mean a psu upgrade. Unfortunately, right now r9 290x' are trending at $279 usd on eBay used. I just saw a Sapphire for $182, the lowest I've seen as a Buy it Now or Best Offer is $179. The duals are trending at $397 usd. These are 290x', not 390x'. The prices are just outrageous. They are cheaper new in many cases.

Ooo, nice find! A brand new Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 DUAL! Only $459.95! Only 3 left, better hurry. Lol, quick, before some warlord in Nigeria snatches it up (No prejudice, just the crazy tariff they put on consumer goods). I can't believe they actually buy at these prices.

This 390x was just posted for $150 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-R9-390x-/182544242054?hash=item2a807c1586:g:Z84AAOSwHptY~qCu

That's a great eBay price, but again, $15 more for an rx570 new. Tough call all around.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

9 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I already have the case and fans, and I need to get a new psu no matter what, so these factors don't matter that much.