PC soundproofing

MrSycyS

Hello!

I've been thinking about upgrading my pc and with all the hastle of buying more powerful parts, I wanted to make my pc more silent, but as soon as you search in web for silent pc parts, you see that many items are very expensive (subjective opinion). 

*PC is used for some (cheap-ish) games and mostly net surfing.

Insides: (i guess not very important in this case, but just dropping them in case of something) 

CPU: AMD A8-6600K

Mobo: Asus A88XM-A

PSU: some cheap 80+ bronze (couple of y.o.)

GPU: GeForce 750 Ti         (you see why I plan to rebuild stuff)

So potentialy I wanted to do my own soundproofing mods, but I have nover done anything like this, so wanted to know if anyone has had an experience with this.

What materials to use? Cork, some kind of foam, cloths? Are they even safe to use?

And what to soundrpoof?

Found some DIY stuff online, but i didn't find any conclusive method, so I thought that maybe here would be someone who could help somehow.

I want to buy a new case (have this for some 8 years), but i just can't and don't want to spend 5x as much money for special silent case and/or fans...so I thought that some mods could come in handy.

I am up to any suggestions and ideas.

I am very thankful for any advice!

You could pull a Linus and put the whole thing in a separate room :P 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Foam on the inside of a case will barely make a difference if you're using loud components.

The first step if you want a quiet PC is to buy quiet components.

There is no way around this (unless you decide to put your PC in a separate room)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Spend a very small amount of money on an extra long hdmi cable + a USB 3.0 pcie card, then run an extension from that.  Put it far away and your good to go

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

13 minutes ago, YedZed said:

You could pull a Linus and put the whole thing in a separate room :P 

I totaly agree when i get my new room there is going to be a room over it so then i can put mu pc there so it dosent sound as much.

hi

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Foam on the inside of a case will barely make a difference if you're using loud components.

The first step if you want a quiet PC is to buy quiet components.

There is no way around this (unless you decide to put your PC in a separate room)

I guess I could try to experiment on which pc parts make most noise and try to change atlest one of them with something "silent".

Now i thought that maybe the joins are a bit loose too for the case itself (it has been bent now and then) and that could be a problem by itself?!? Thgen there could be a possibility that just by getting new case, i solve some part(-s) of the problem.

2 minutes ago, dnf said:

I totaly agree when i get my new room there is going to be a room over it so then i can put mu pc there so it dosent sound as much.

There is just not enaugh space :D I could only do the kitchen which is pretty small by itself or basement, which has more than enaugh space, but it's humid...so that would give me another problem.

1 minute ago, MrSycyS said:

I guess I could try to experiment on which pc parts make most noise and try to change atlest one of them with something "silent".

Now i thought that maybe the joins are a bit loose too for the case itself (it has been bent now and then) and that could be a problem by itself?!? Thgen there could be a possibility that just by getting new case, i solve some part(-s) of the problem.

A quiet case like a fractal design R5 can make a difference if your current case is crappy and has lots of vents.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, MrSycyS said:

There is just not enaugh space :D I could only do the kitchen which is pretty small by itself or basement, which has more than enaugh space, but it's humid...so that would give me another problem.

put it in the sink then

hi

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

A quiet case like a fractal design R5 can make a difference if your current case is crappy and has lots of vents.

Looks great, but it costs more than any of my current components. I guess there is no way around it. Best i could do is by putting something under the pc case itself, but other than that...good bye money.

Well thank you for your time, at least now i know not to waste my time on solving first world problems.

If you want a cheep alternative to acoustic foam or sound dampening foam is towels which absorb much more sound (as acoustic foam is designed to absorb specific frequencies more so than other) though they require care in where and how you place them as lint can be an issue.. Alternatively I have a bit of cork board; which is can often be found at your local crafting store, in my computer. Its not the best but its better than nothing and fairly inexpensive. I just glued them in with hot glue.

For mounting try to heat up the metal a bit first and apply the hot glue to the cork first before placing it in. The other way around results in it coming off of the metal too easily.