internet goes down? ISPs pay back the customer for the down time - Ofcom proposes

zMeul
2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Assuming the offending party has the liquid assets to cover the damages to the ISP and customers. 

he pays with his business assets / house / car / kidney / wife / daughter(s) :ph34r:

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Seriously? When my service is down and back up, I just call my ISP, and they give me the days that I hadn't service (or intermittent) back on the next bill.

I guess, they are doing it automatically, is that what they propose?

Which provider? Can't be Shaw right? :P

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

28 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Which provider? Can't be Shaw right? :P

Videotron. Second largest provider of Internet, phone, and TV in Quebec.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

sounds like an 80s failed techno rock band

LOL!!!

Anything with TRON at the end must be good!

Actually, they were founded in 1964, as a TV cable provider. :)

Now they offer Cable TV, Internet (via coaxial cable), phone (going through coaxial cable as well), and mobile phone service for both residential and businesses.

They are more expensive between the other choice: Bell (using phone line tech), but the service is superior, customer service is better, and they don't have a monthly billing error problem that you need to call and fight continuously.

Then you have small providers, where they are not that much cheaper, and just rent the lines from Bell or Videotron.

Both have fiber, if you wonder. In fact only 'the last mile' is in phone line or cable. But, if you are in a new neighborhood, you can have a fiber line in your home (depending on the builder of the house).

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

he pays with his business assets / house / car / kidney / wife / daughter(s) :ph34r:

So if some homeless bum (or someone equally judgement proof due to lack of assets) decides to dig a hole, and severs a fiber line, cutting off thousands, the ISP would have to take the hit? Am I correct? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

So if some homeless bum (or someone equally judgement proof due to lack of assets) decides to dig a hole, and severs a fiber line, cutting off thousands, the ISP would have to take the hit? Am I correct? 

to dig that big and deep of a whole and be capable to sever the FIOS trunk you need serious power - I doubt that bum exists

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

to dig that big and deep of a whole and be capable to sever the FIOS trunk you need serious power - I doubt that bum exists

"or someone equally judgement proof" means a person or business unlikely to ever pay off a judgement. Though you've yet to answer my above question. :)  

My eyes see the past…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

"or someone equally judgement proof" means a person or business unlikely to ever pay off a judgement.

court, civil suit from the ISP in regards of recovering their loses

local government, digging without authorization can be (depends on the country/state) punishable by law - prosecution 

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

court, civil suit from the ISP in regards of recovering their loses

local government, digging without authorization can be (depends on the country/state) punishable by law - prosecution 

So what you're saying is the ISP pays out, regardless of whether or not they can actually recoup their losses later from the guilty party via judgment or other means? Correct? 

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

So what you're saying is the ISP pays out, regardless of whether or not they can actually recoup their losses later from the guilty party via judgment or other means? Correct? 

yeah

How realistic are two working day downtimes? With basically every ISP I have been at to date they've never lasted more than 6 hours.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

On 24/03/2017 at 1:41 PM, Matt_98 said:

pretty much, it should be easy to implement (there are only 2 isp's really in UK)

Not even close, there's talktalk, BT, EE, vodaphone, virgin media, plusnet.. to name only a few, plus there are smaller ISPs that serve certain areas or communities. You're maybe getting mixed up with the fact that BT own the network that a lot of ISPs lease to their customers as such. an ISP only has to provide the connection to you to be an ISP, they don't have to own the network or anything.

[edit] Just had a quick google search and came up with this  http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top50.php

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

17 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Not even close, there's talktalk, BT, EE, vodaphone, virgin media, plusnet.. to name only a few, plus there are smaller ISPs that serve certain areas or communities. You're maybe getting mixed up with the fact that BT own the network that a lot of ISPs lease to their customers as such. an ISP only has to provide the connection to you to be an ISP, they don't have to own the network or anything.

[edit] Just had a quick google search and came up with this  http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top50.php

thats waht i mean theres only really bt and virgin, the rest are just bt lines with a different name (apart from those new mesh networks poping up places)

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

On 24/03/2017 at 6:32 PM, zMeul said:

Most likely it would be liability insurance, depending on the location of the "incident", could be house insurance that has liability insurance also, or from business insurance etc. It's unlikely that a regular householder  would be doing anything major that could damage a network that badly. Could be wrong of course, but that's my take on it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

£10 per day of downtime ?! Thats a bit too much when average monthly broadband packages dont even cost £50 (line rental included because we all use old fucking phones in the UK...).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

12 minutes ago, Thony said:

£10 per day of downtime ?! Thats a bit too much when average monthly broadband packages dont even cost £50 (line rental included because we all use old fucking phones in the UK...).

so wait .. you're gonna complain if they, maybe, gonna' pay your bill if 5 days internet is out?

does not compute

50 pounds for DSL ... that's seriously overly expensive

I pay for TV + 300mbps ~20quid

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

so wait .. you're gonna complain if they, maybe, gonna' pay your bill if 5 days internet is out?

does not compute

Thats your words not mine. 

My point was that fine is too high for the price of the service. No ISP will agree with that penalty amount.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, Thony said:

Thats your words not mine. 

My point was that fine is too high for the price of the service. No ISP will agree with that penalty amount.

then they should offer better services, I also edited my previous post to show how fucked up that 50quid contract is

Just now, zMeul said:

then they should offer better services, I also edited my previous post to show how fucked up that 50quid contract is

The fact ISPs dont provide a steady connections and to fight that they say "speed UP TO 100mbps" so they cover their asses when customers dont get full speeds its the most fucked up thing about ISPs. 

That said, ISPs usually dont have long service outages.