ssd made my boot time slower??

_VOIDNEXUS_

so i installed my samsung evo 850 250gb to my pc, at first it was performing good but later on it got slower  (atleast of what i SEE and feel). but when i look at task manager and startup it says what my last bios time was 12.5 better than the last one which was 12.8...

the only content of my ssd is my Bitdefender antivirus, GARENA ( client you use to be able to play LoL in thje philippines), and 5gb worth of iphone phtos and videos

6 minutes ago, Nashiwa said:

Well no wonder...if you want your boot time to be faster then your OS should be on the SSD.

Yeah exactly, I'm not sure what you expected by just plugging in an SSD?

I edit my posts a lot.

18 minutes ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

so i installed my samsung evo 850 250gb to my pc, at first it was performing good but later on it got slower  (atleast of what i SEE and feel). but when i look at task manager and startup it says what my last bios time was 12.5 better than the last one which was 12.8...

the only content of my ssd is my Bitdefender antivirus, GARENA ( client you use to be able to play LoL in thje philippines), and 5gb worth of iphone phtos and videos

The operating system needs to go on the SSD in order for boot time to be faster. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes, as they all said, you have to install windows again and do It in the ssd's partition. You can easily do this, dont worry :)

20 hours ago, Maxinfamily said:

Yes, as they all said, you have to install windows again and do It in the ssd's partition. You can easily do this, dont worry :)

but when io do this all my programs will have to be reinstalled

20 hours ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Yeah exactly, I'm not sure what you expected by just plugging in an SSD?

i didnt just plugged it i also setted it as boot drive?

6 minutes ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

You'll have to if you want that speed...

Edit : 400th post, celebrate9_9!

2 minutes ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

i didnt just plugged it i also setted it as boot drive?

Bad analogy time: Imagine you lived 50 miles from the nearest post office. Your friend lives 25 miles from you and the post office which means they are directly between you can the post office. You need someone from this post office to collect a parcel from your house to take it back to the post office every day. One day you realise that it takes too long to get from the post office to your house and back. You tell the post office they can go to your friends house because it only takes half as long. Your friend does not have the parcel. Your friend has to tell the postman to drive to your house instead. This makes the process even slower. To actually speed up the process you need to put the parcel (Windows) into your friends house which is faster to get to. No point in telling them to go to your friends house when the parcel's not even there!

I hope that made a little bit of sense because I'm starting to get confused myself. To speed up Windows, Windows has to be on a faster device.

I edit my posts a lot.

6 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Bad analogy time: Imagine you lived 50 miles from the nearest post office. Your friend lives 25 miles from you and the post office which means they are directly between you can the post office. You need someone from this post office to collect a parcel from your house to take it back to the post office every day. One day you realise that it takes too long to get from the post office to your house and back. You tell the post office they can go to your friends house because it only takes half as long. Your friend does not have the parcel. Your friend has to tell the postman to drive to your house instead. This makes the process even slower. To actually speed up the process you need to put the parcel (Windows) into your friends house which is faster to get to. No point in telling them to go to your friends house when the parcel's not even there!

I hope that made a little bit of sense because I'm starting to get confused myself. To speed up Windows, Windows has to be on a faster device.

You really put so much thought in that, but good analogy:).

I have another one: Imagine you had a hdd and ssd, the ssd is faster than the hdd, so Windows would boot faster on it...xD

23 hours ago, Factory OC said:

You'll have to if you want that speed...

Edit : 400th post, celebrate9_9!

but this is a 250gb ssd? and even if my i cant fit all the essentials into the ssd wont it shorten the lifetime of my ssd big time and slow down write speeds? and how can i see all my programs? ( no i cant use "uninstall a programs" tab because some of my programs is not there)

2 minutes ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

but this is a 250gb ssd? and even if my i cant fit all the essentials into the ssd wont it shorten the lifetime of my ssd big time and slow down write speeds? and how can i see all my programs? ( no i cant use "uninstall a programs" tab because some of my programs is not there)

1. You should install Windows on the SSD, and only install the programs you want fast.

2. It's not like your gonna write a TB in a dayxD.

3. Do you have the installers of the apps, it can move the location of the files to the SSD?

4. Else, just go in the folder of the application, there should be a uninstaller.

21 hours ago, Factory OC said:

1. You should install Windows on the SSD, and only install the programs you want fast.

2. It's not like your gonna write a TB in a dayxD.

3. Do you have the installers of the apps, it can move the location of the files to the SSD?

4. Else, just go in the folder of the application, there should be a uninstaller.

philippines has a very slow internet it took me 3 days just to install cod bo3 cant i just copy it into an external hdd than paste??

and second i have no idea what you're saying in #4

Just now, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

philippines has a very slow internet it took me 3 days just to install cod bo3 cant i just copy it into an external hdd than paste??

1. If 3. fails, there is 4. Most apps have uninstall files in their program files.

2. Is it on Steam, you can save it on the HDD, but it wont have SSD speed. If you want COD on your SSD, you can do this.

3 hours ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

use the samsung software you can download to migrate the contents of one drive to another, that includes all of the updates for your games and apps and yea even windows

7 hours ago, Dogsparky said:

use the samsung software you can download to migrate the contents of one drive to another, that includes all of the updates for your games and apps and yea even windows

samsung migration assistant says that i can choose what i want to migrate but the stuff that i will leave behind will be deleted

install OS on the ssd and drivers only and set it as bootdrive

then set as it is your hard drive then done.. no need of downloading the game again..

50 minutes ago, rheyL said:

install OS on the ssd and drivers only and set it as bootdrive

then set as it is your hard drive then done.. no need of downloading the game again..

WOT. im not good at this stuff. if you mean install another windows 8.1 in my ssd or something idk

This is the best analogy. You have a bycicle. And you buy a car. If you dont use the car, you dont travel faster, why would you travel faster just by owning it? You have to use it! Using it means intalling windows there, whether you like it or not.

6 hours ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

WOT. im not good at this stuff. if you mean install another windows 8.1 in my ssd or something idk

yes install your Windows 8.1 on the SSD. 

1st transfer your  photos to your hard drive and important files.. 

then reformat your SSD,  install OS and after that you can feel how fast it would boot.. 

still confused? hit me a pm and I'll explain it on our own language ?

On 3/5/2017 at 10:45 AM, rheyL said:

yes install your Windows 8.1 on the SSD. 

1st transfer your  photos to your hard drive and important files.. 

then reformat your SSD,  install OS and after that you can feel how fast it would boot.. 

still confused? hit me a pm and I'll explain it on our own language ?

would i need another windows key? or can i just reuse the one i have now?.. and how can i see a COMPLETE list of every i have? and wont it shorten the lifespan of my ssd ?

you can reuse your Windows key as long as you are using it on one computer only... 

complete list of what? if you are talking about installed softwares.. you can just go to contol panel and click on uninstall program,  you can view it there.. 

and about your ssd lifespan, it can hurt your ssd by reformatting it... but after that, as long as you limit it's writes.. you can still prolong your ssd's life... 

1 hour ago, rheyL said:

you can reuse your Windows key as long as you are using it on one computer only... 

complete list of what? if you are talking about installed softwares.. you can just go to contol panel and click on uninstall program,  you can view it there.. 

and about your ssd lifespan, it can hurt your ssd by reformatting it... but after that, as long as you limit it's writes.. you can still prolong your ssd's life... 

some programs doesnt show on  control panel - uninstall program.

2 hours ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

and wont it shorten the lifespan of my ssd ?

Any writes to the drive will shorten its lifespan, but it's meant to be used, and not using the drive as a boot is doing it a disservice. While every SSD is different, mine is 4 years old with 36TB written to it, and it's fine. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 3/7/2017 at 3:36 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

Any writes to the drive will shorten its lifespan, but it's meant to be used, and not using the drive as a boot is doing it a disservice. While every SSD is different, mine is 4 years old with 36TB written to it, and it's fine. 

ok. i'll just transfer my stuff in a month when our school is over