AM4 mobo's BIOS performance bias?!

zMeul
4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

because these are not enterprise grade products, they're consumer

no one in the consumer market gives a shit about Linpack

And that's the problem. There has been no fair comparison of processors made for more than a decade, all because people don't care about making fair comparisons.

Of course Intel is always going to be on top, they've had 40+ years for compilers to be optimized for what's essentially the same ISA and basic architecture they started out with. Ryzen has had, 1 day. It's a completely unfair fight, especially when you use non scientific benchmarks.

I maintain that the Ryzen architecture has the capability to have much better performance than any comparable Intel chip.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

7 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Of course Intel is always going to be on top, all the compilers in existence have had 40+ years to be optimized for what's essentially the same ISA they started out with. It's a completely unfair fight, especially when you use non scientific benchmarks. Ryzen has had, 1 day.

have you seen the shit AMD swimmed in with this launch?! they were not prepared, things weren't properly tested and validated; they had to fix/tweak things on their knees as the issues were discovered

they actually said to people to disable stuff on Intel platform before the testing

yes, Intel controls x86

but that doesn't mean AMD can't do a proper job implementing it

look back at Athlon days, Athlon64 days - they did it right back then

now .. now they're reacting to fires they themselves started

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

have you seen the shit AMD swimmed in with launch?! they were not prepared, things weren't properly tested and validated; they had to fix/tweak things on their knees as the issues were discovered

So your complaint is that an extremely complicated, brand new product of novel design, wasn't absolutely perfect on launch day? That's a little silly of a thing to say about any company, regardless of their history. 

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, Intel controls x86

but that doesn't mean AMD can't do a proper job implementing it

look back at Athlon days, Athlon64 days - they did it right back then

now .. now they're reacting to fires they themselves started

It's all just as well, as I said in my original reply:

16 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I've given up on people fairly comparing any computer systems anymore.

^^ Can be read as "It's no point in arguing the point, no one cares, no one knows, and no one bothers".

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

9 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

So your complaint is that an extremely complicated, brand new product of novel design, wasn't absolutely perfect on launch day? That's a little silly of a thing to say about any company, regardless of their history. 

Athlon64 wasn't novel design? how did that went compared to Ryzen .. eh

when you do a launch for a brand new product you very well take your goddamn time and do it properly - mobo manufacturers pushed BIOS updates the day before the launch

AMD changed testing methodology almost every day since they shipped the CPUs to reviewers

the RAM problem will be fixed ~2months down the road?!

what is this .. amateur hour?

if Intel did this they would've been the laughing stock of the industry

remember the NetBurst days ... yeah, bad days for Intel; the P4 Willy was particularly bad when the older P3s performed better than it

Athlon64 wasn't novel design? how did that went compared to Ryzen .. eh

when you do a launch for a brand new product you very well take your goddamn time and do it properly - mobo manufacturers pushed BIOS updates the day before the launch

AMD changed testing methodology almost every day since they shipped the CPUs to reviewers

the RAM problem will be fixed ~2months down the road?!

what is this .. amateur hour?

if Intel did this they would've been the laughing stock of the industry

remember the NetBurst days ... yeah, bad days for Intel; the P4 Willy was particularly bad when the older P3s performed better than it

What really makes you think that AMD didn't do it properly? All your complaints are out of AMD reach..

If Intel did this, we wouldn't have you running through threads yelling doom and gloom about everything.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

snip

Remember the launch of the X99 platform? They had problems aswell.

14 minutes ago, zMeul said:

contains a phone call recording between him and AMD

Same issue Golem.de had. Their MSI board on BIOS 113 was terrible, where as on 117 they saw very good performance increases, and stability.

Motherboard manufactures just really need to sort out the issues hampering performance, but then again it really is AMD's fault for rushing out the launch

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.golem.de/news/ryzen-7-1800x-im-test-amd-ist-endlich-zurueck-1703-125996-4.html&prev=search

The MSI board was delivered with BIOS version 113, until last Friday a new one appeared.

Version 117, which is still up-to-date, improved speed and stability. If we were still able to count on sporadic Bluescreens with the older UEFI, the board is currently stable. Much more important, however, is the drastically higher performance in games and the real pack with 7-Zip. The release notes include, among other things, a fixed problem with the memory act and its timing as well as the voltage.
Compared to the original bios, the new UEFI increases the image rate in our game course between plus 4 and plus 26 percent, on the average even plus 17 percent!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I just want to clear something up that I have noticed. Some may already know this, however, I just want to say that there is a difference between Instruction set architecture (x86) and processor architecture. Intel developed the original x86 instruction set, AMD developed the 64bit instruction set extension to x86.

Ryzen is a brand new processor architecture, but it is still using x86-64.

like I said some may know this already, but for anyone that does not understand I want to clear it up so they are not misled.

3 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

They should, as a secondary language for english speakers. There's really no excuse.

Well French is a language I learned, ultimately forgot because lack of use. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Well French is a language I learned, ultimately forgot because lack of use. 

I remember taking some French back in High School some long time ago now...  Ultimately forget a good chunk of it from lack of use, plus Google Translate is just so convenient. :D

@straight_stewie

hey, you asked for Linpack numbers, check this shit out: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

Zen is monstrously bad

rnaZY4K.png

barely 2% perf increase vs Excavator .. good god!

lK7gSAo.png

at least they didn't lie over the IPC increase compared to Excavator - 6% better than their initially projected at 40%

https://www.techpowerup.com/212315/amd-zen-offers-a-40-ipc-increase-over-excavator