RYZEN. Can it combine with GTX GPUs?

Sencatsu
Go to solution Solved by zanderl,

Yes, it will work. They showed off Ryzen with Nvidia GPUs at CES.

Does RYZEN CPU work with GTX GPUs? 

If I wanted to get a Ryzen 1700x and combine it with a GTX 1070. Would it work? Or am I better off just getting an RX 480 in Crossfire? (Or is that my only choice, do get close to 1070 stats)

Yes of course, why wouldn't they? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

yup it does

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

1 minute ago, Sencatsu said:

If I wanted to get a Ryzen 1700x and combine it with a GTX 1070. Would it work? Or am I better off just getting an RX 480 in Crossfire? (Or is that my only choice, do get close to 1070 stats)

Why would it not work?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Does it have a PCI-E slot? If yes, insert whatever PCI-E compatible card in there that you want. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Sencatsu said:

To my knowledge there hasn't been an issue with GPU and CPU crosses... Valid question if you're new. Also unless you want a heater go with the GTX the RX 480's have a higher power use and so generates more heat

Yeah it should I mean Ryzen is aimed to be high end so it should work with the higher end gtx gpus

1 minute ago, SoulChaosX said:

To my knowledge there hasn't been an issue with GPU and CPU crosses... Valid question if you're new. Also unless you want a heater go with the GTX the RX 480's have a higher power use and so generates more heat

my wife has a 480 crossfire no heat problem. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

my wife has a 480 crossfire no heat problem. 

Yep a single one. Try that with crossfire my brother's case keeps his living room warm in these Montana winters xD

7 minutes ago, Sencatsu said:

Since nobody has told you yet, please only post the same thread once. Don't do it in two sections like you did.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Yes, it will work. They showed off Ryzen with Nvidia GPUs at CES.

1 minute ago, SoulChaosX said:

Yep a single one. Try that with crossfire my brother's case keeps his living room warm in these Montana winters xD

reread my sentence, my wife has a crossfire setup, no issue so far. stupid jokes about heat are not necessary. 

There is no limitation on which GPU brand works with which CPU, if there was a limitation it would be because of the mobo chipset.

13 minutes ago, SoulChaosX said:

What are you on about? the 480 and 1070 have the same power draw. Your brother probably has reference cards.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

reread my sentence, my wife has a crossfire setup, no issue so far. stupid jokes about heat are not necessary. 

As long as you cooled it probably, even in Crossfire, you'll be good. I assume your Wife's build optimized really well! 

Just now, Sencatsu said:

As long as you cooled it probably, even in Crossfire, you'll be good. I assume your Wife's build optimized really well! 

yup, we love silence.

I wouldn't think AMD is THAT shady. I'm going to be running a 1070 with my Ryzen set up as well.

Ultrima Z238EC: Ryzen 7 3800X @ stock, Enermax AquaFusion AIO w/ 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans, ASRock Taichi X570, Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 AMP!, 2x8GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200MHz, Lian Li Lancool II Case

14 minutes ago, SoulChaosX said:

Also unless you want a heater

ffs.. there's like a 10 watt difference between the RX480 and the GTX1060, turning down your display brightness one notch reduces more heat than that...

1 minute ago, Neverender said:

I wouldn't think AMD is THAT shady. I'm going to be running a 1070 with my Ryzen set up as well.

i'm pretty sure that they'd have to break PCIe specification to do something like that.

or force manufacturers to make boards with only pcie 4x slots, offcourse :D

13 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

There is no limitation on which GPU brand works with which CPU, if there was a limitation it would be because of the mobo chipset.

What are you on about? the 480 and 1070 have the same power draw. Your brother probably has reference cards.

Considering its a crossfire... Yes it pulls more... They both have around 150 tdp but with crossfire in the 480 it pulls more

9 minutes ago, SoulChaosX said:

Considering its a crossfire... Yes it pulls more... They both have around 150 tdp but with crossfire in the 480 it pulls more

I know 480s in Xfire use more power but they won't run hot like you claim unless they use the shitty reference cooler, are stuck in a case with poor airflow or they're made by Gigabyte.

Just now, Arc_Jester said:

I know 480s in Xfire use more power but they won't run hot like you claim unless they use the shitty reference cooler, are stuck in a case with poor airflow or they're made by Gigabyte.

he has about 5 fans in his case and he's running Powercolor Red Devil editions. He might not be cleaning it like he should or maybe he's blocking it without realizing it but that's what i hear from him. he barely has his heater on because when his computer is on and he's playing its always warm in the living room (his computer area). This is MY EXPERIENCE from the card so I'm giving a personal experience for it. Not giving False information just personal experience. He has i think a NZXT 530 Source Case. I used to have the case but gave it to him when I upgraded. I didnt have issues running my AMD 270x in there, but he keeps his living room warm while playing games.