i7700k gets up to 80°C

Vandeloy

Hello, I've recently built my first PC.

My only concern so far is that my CPU will die due to overheating. My cooler is the Corsair H100i v2, which was a bad buy in my opinion, so far.
On one hand, the cooler is very loud even in desktop mode, so I had to turn the fan speed down quite a bit in Corsair link, so I won't get distracted by all that noise while working.

On the other hand, even on full fan speed the CPU gets up to 80°C while loading an area in the game Marvel Heroes online, which seems to be a pretty CPU heavy game. I did a stress test, and the temperature sits around 75°C in that.

I made a custom fan speed curve in Corsair Link, which resulted in the fans being quiet while working but not really turning up while gaming.

Should I start worrying about temperatures that high, and is there a software that reliably changes the fan speed.

3 minutes ago, Vandeloy said:

Hello, I've recently built my first PC.

My only concern so far is that my CPU will die due to overheating. My cooler is the Corsair H100i v2, which was a bad buy in my opinion, so far.
On one hand, the cooler is very loud even in desktop mode, so I had to turn the fan speed down quite a bit in Corsair link, so I won't get distracted by all that noise while working.

On the other hand, even on full fan speed the CPU gets up to 80°C while loading an area in the game Marvel Heroes online, which seems to be a pretty CPU heavy game. I did a stress test, and the temperature sits around 75°C in that.

I made a custom fan speed curve in Corsair Link, which resulted in the fans being quiet while working but not really turning up while gaming.

Should I start worrying about temperatures that high, and is there a software that reliably changes the fan speed.

What is your ambient temp?

The Kaby Lake chips do indeed get warmer than their Skylake counterparts, but you're also rewarded with more clockspeed/performance.

Most, to include myself, have found that delidding is a great solution.  Not for all, but for most.

Those temps aren't really anything you have to worry about but it's too high for an H100i v2.

Bad thermal paste maybe?

Hi,

all Intel CPUs from the last ~5 years can operate at up to 105°C, so it shouldn't be a very large concern.

It was brought to my attention by @Aereldor that Kaby Lake chips run quite hot due to low quiality thermal compound used under the CPU lid.

On 2/24/2017 at 6:46 AM, done12many2 said:

The Kaby Lake chips do indeed get warmer than their Skylake counterparts, but you're also rewarded with more clockspeed/performance.

Most, to include myself, have found that delidding is a great solution.  Not for all, but for most.

Some people (myself included) are not willing to lose their warranty with delidding.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

you may want to look into delidding(a lot of results show 20C improvements)  your i7 i'm currently waiting for the stuff i ordered to get here so i can delid mine which currently runs at 100C though i'm running a much smaller cooler 

7 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Hi,

all Intel CPUs from the last ~5 years can operate at up to 105°C, so it shouldn't be a very large concern.

It was brought to my attention by @Aereldor that Kaby Lake chips run quite hot due to low quiality thermal compound used under the CPU lid.

The 7700k does not operate up to "105c".  Close, but it actually starts throttling at roughly 95c with a 100c rated Tjunction from Intel.

The thermal compound is not the problem.  The issue is caused by the spacing between the IHS and the silicone sealant use by Intel to secure the IHS.  The sealant is too thick, which raises the IHS just a little too much off of the die.  The thermal compound still makes contact with both ends, but there is very little pressure to aid in the heat exchange.

7 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Some people (myself included) are not willing to lose their warranty with delidding.

That's understandable.  

If you plan to delid your CPU note that you will void the warrenty. If you bought like a 3 year warrenty for overclocking, wait until your warrenty is up before delidding as the warrenty is for if your CPU has trouble and fails due to overclocking. Just be carful if you plan to do it.

Do not delid.. you dont need to..... check your voltages.... but ye aio coolong systems suck... i got my 7700k on a noctua nh-d15 and my max never goes over 60-65... average sits around 50.... 

Delid will make you lose warranty... get a good air cooler ans you good to go.... 

6 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

If you plan to delid your CPU note that you will void the warrenty. If you bought like a 3 year warrenty for overclocking, wait until your warrenty is up before delidding as the warrenty is for if your CPU has trouble and fails due to overclocking. Just be carful if you plan to do it.

hes getting 80c without overclocking with a fucking water cooler my god dam air cooled 3770k runs faster and cooler then that on air cooler the 7700k is hardly even usable without delidding or buying custom water loops which cost more the a new cpu or having a insanely large and heavy air cooling heatsink

2 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Those temps aren't really anything you have to worry about but it's too high for an H100i v2.

Bad thermal paste maybe?

I'm using the thermal paste that was pre-applied to the cooler, I'll probably switch it out soon. Do you think bad airflow could also lead to this? Because that's something I literally have no idea about. 

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Where does one see the ambient temperature? One part of the motherboard sometimes heats up to 70°C, to other parts usually are around 40°C. 

Delidding is no option for me.

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

hes getting 80c without overclocking with a fucking water cooler my god dam air cooled 3770k runs faster and cooler then that on air cooler the 7700k is hardly even usable without delidding or buying custom water loops which cost more the a new cpu

Nah.. not true... but it gets hot yea.. but before i bought noctua cooler i was with a 212 evo and max temps was between 75-80... just water loops sucks

2 minutes ago, Vandeloy said:

I'm using the thermal paste that was pre-applied to the cooler, I'll probably switch it out soon. Do you think bad airflow could also lead to this? Because that's something I literally have no idea about. 

Where does one see the ambient temperature? One part of the motherboard sometimes heats up to 70°C, to other parts usually are around 40°C. 

Ambient temp is the temperature of you room that the computer is located in.

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Ambient temp is the temperature of you room that the computer is located in.

My bad. It's usually around 20°C in here.

Just now, Vandeloy said:

I was reading some reviews, I would check the pump and make sure the water is flowing through, and flowing through at the correct speed. I've seen a lot of people talking about there temputers staying below 60 degree Celsius

1 minute ago, Vandeloy said:

Yeah, that's a very decent room temp.  Provided that you have adequate ventilation for you case, your temps are a bit high.  Not unsafe though.

14 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The 7700k does not operate up to "105c".  Close, but it actually starts throttling at roughly 95c with a 100c rated Tjunction from Intel.

The thermal compound is not the problem.  The issue is caused by the spacing between the IHS and the silicone sealant use by Intel to secure the IHS.  The sealant is too thick, which raises the IHS just a little too much off of the die.  The thermal compound still makes contact with both ends, but there is very little pressure to aid in the heat exchange.

That's understandable.  

I thought that the Tjunction was rated at 105°C, my formulation was not correct.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

5 minutes ago, Vandeloy said:

I use noctua thermal paste and a nh-d15 and in 15 min using aida i got this results:

So do not delid if in any case your cooler can t handle you got 2 options... one reduce the vcore to 1.1 and set clock on 4.0ghz.. other get yourself a good air cooler

14879416690491178591161.jpg

2 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

I thought that the Tjunction was rated at 105°C, my formulation was not correct.

Small potatoes bud.  I was simply pointing it out.  :D

31 minutes ago, Nets said:

-snip-

Mate, you're using Noctua fans, the best fans in the biz, at that kind of RPM corsair fans would sound like your computer was about take off and fly through your wall. At some point when my H100i is getting tired I'd probably go to Noctua and get a baller air cooler because my god them fans be loud! I had to turn mine down to 650 RPM and even then they are loud IMO.

OP those temps are high for such a high end AiO, so if you have some warrenty left you should probably write someone and get a replacement, just my two cents.

I'll order some new thermal paste tomorrow. That's the only way I can explain to myself why my CPU is getting so hot.

I had a talk on Reddit with a guy whose same setup doesn't get as hot while game and is way cooler when in idle.

Anyone else with an i7700k here? If so, how warm is your CPU when in idle?

4 minutes ago, Vandeloy said:

I'll order some new thermal paste tomorrow. That's the only way I can explain to myself why my CPU is getting so hot.

I had a talk on Reddit with a guy whose same setup doesn't get as hot while game and is way cooler when in idle.

Are you overclocking your CPU if so what are your settings?

The CPU should not sit more than 10-15C above ambient when in idle, it sounds like you potentially have a bad mount try remounting the cooler and see if that helps

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Are you overclocking your CPU if so what are your settings?

The CPU should not sit more than 10-15C above ambient when in idle, it sounds like you potentially have a bad mount try remounting the cooler and see if that helps

Standard 4.2 GHz clock. 

It usually is about 20-25°C over ambient temperature. I actually remounted the cooler a few days ago, but I'll definitely do it again tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, Vandeloy said:

I have it at 1.24v @ 4.7GHz, custom water cooled. Idle temps are around 40C, ambient temps around 22-23C. Under load temps go up to about 70C (aida64) while gaming more like 65C

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

30 minutes ago, Zandvliet said:

I have it at 1.24v @ 4.7GHz, custom water cooled. Idle temps are around 40C, ambient temps around 22-23C. Under load temps go up to about 70C (aida64) while gaming more like 65C

Ok, thank you!

I guess the custom water loop, is better than my cooler, but the overclock should even that out.

I really hope I can get my temperaturestuff to change. Tomorrow, when I'm reseating the pump I'll take a picture of how he thermal paste is applied, maybe someone could give their opinion on that.

A similar issue here with a 7600k and H100i v2.
part list. https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/n9D8yf

I'm monitoring the temps with HWiNFO and seem to be finding something strange.

When under high load the CPU temp jumps instantly to 70 degrees and then works its way up to 80.
liquid temp in the H100i v2 gets to about 40 after a while (this is where I have the fan speed pick up from minimum), this is as hot as the cooler gets.
as soon as I reduce the load on the CPU (almost instantly) the temp drops to 40 or whatever the liquid temp is.

I originally thought the issue may have been the well knowing H100I loose backplate due to the motherboard being thin but have added nylon m4 washers to the back so now I  can get the cooler tight on the CPU before the thumb nuts bottom out on the standoffs.

I'll run a test and screen shot the temps