Microsoft's tweaking the Windows 10 UI in "Project Neon"

Mira Yurizaki
On 06/01/2017 at 2:51 AM, imreloadin said:

Just keep polishing that turd Microsoft, it'll shine one day...

Second best looking design style, IMO. Only material design looks better to me. 

- snip-

2 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

But why is there a massive gap at the top of the window, such a wast of screen real estate. 

cause "modern" smh

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

Does windows really need a UI upgrade? Why not focus your time and resources on fixing and adding other features Microsoft. Take a leaf out of Linux's book, where the UI is basically never changed and they focus all their RnD on actually useful stuff. 

Here's a few of ideas that could get you started: Fix Window's trash search feature, Improve stability on exotic hardware, fix security issues, make windows update the all inclusive driver update feature so that users dont have to go diking arround in a hundered different updaters and finally finish moving away from control panel and have all settings in one place.

It's different groups making the new UI and security patches. So it's not like this new UI is delaying security and other updates.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I never touch control pane anymore....

I find that hard to believe, unless you're not a "power user". It feels like every other link in the settings app just takes you to the control panel. For crying out loud, you can't even set a static IP in the settings app. Not even the default app for different file extensions works properly in the modern settings app. It wouldn't let me set MPC-HC as the default video player, so I went into the control panel's setting page and enabled it there. The problem was that the settings page only changed some of the file associations, but not enough for it to consider it the default video player.

18 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Still no Dark mode for Explorer UI. 

Coming sometime in the future with Explorer UWP....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Coming sometime in the future with Explorer UWP....

I actually made a joke yesterday about UWP Explorer hah. 

On 1/8/2017 at 4:57 AM, LAwLz said:

I find that hard to believe, unless you're not a "power user". It feels like every other link in the settings app just takes you to the control panel. For crying out loud, you can't even set a static IP in the settings app. Not even the default app for different file extensions works properly in the modern settings app. It wouldn't let me set MPC-HC as the default video player, so I went into the control panel's setting page and enabled it there. The problem was that the settings page only changed some of the file associations, but not enough for it to consider it the default video player.

Well I'd contend that "every other link" takes you to control panel, because I've yet to see it pop up when I tinker with the Settings app. However, setting a static IP isn't something a random person should do. So in some sense, having Settings not do admin required things is a good thing. Otherwise, UAC gets triggered and the user gets confused because the computer is asking if the user was certain that's what they wanted to do.

Anyway, the funny thing is it sounds like Microsoft is inadvertently creating an "expert mode": https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20030728-00/?p=43043

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well I'd contend that "every other link" takes you to control panel, because I've yet to see it pop up when I tinker with the Settings app.

Links in "System" which brings you to the old settings menus (such as the control panel):

Display -> Advanced display settings -> Color management

Display -> Advanced display settings -> Color calibration

Display -> Advanced display settings -> ClearType text

Display -> Advanced display settings -> Advanced sizing of text and other items

Display -> Advanced display settings -> Display adapter properties

Apps & features -> Programs and Features

Default apps -> Set default by app

Power & Sleep -> Additional power settings

About -> Additional administrative tools

About -> Bitlocker settings

About -> Device manager

About -> System info

Links in "Devices":

Printers & Scanners -> Devices and printers

Printers & Scanners -> Device manager

(These two appear in multiple menus)

Mouse & touchpad -> Additional mouse options

Links in "Network & Internet":

Status -> Change adapter options (shows up several times)

Status -> Sharing options

Status -> HomeGroup (shows up several times)

Status -> Windows Firewall (shows up several times)

Status -> Network troubleshooter

Status -> Network and Sharing Center (shows up several times)

Ethernet -> Change advanced sharing options

Dial-up -> Set up a new connection

Links in Personalization:

Lock screen -> Screen saver settings

Themes -> Theme settings

Themes -> Advanced sound settings

Themes -> Desktop icon settings

Themes -> Mouse pointer settings

Links in Time & Language:

Date & time -> Additional date, time & regional settings (shows up several times)

Date & time -> Add clocks for different time zones

Not to mention all the things you just can't do in settings.

The settings app can do things like "change profile picture" but that's about as advanced as it gets. For everything else, such as making someone an admin, set static IP, change locale, change any VPN setting besides basically "username and password", change firewall settings, and the list goes on and on and on... If you want to do those types of things then you need the control panel. Most likely because the settings app is an UWP app, and therefore is extremely limited in what it can and can't do.

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Links in "System" which brings you to the old settings menus (such as the control panel):

Display -> Advanced display settings -> Color management

Display -> Advanced display settings -> Color calibration

Display -> Advanced display settings -> ClearType text

Display -> Advanced display settings -> Advanced sizing of text and other items

Display -> Advanced display settings -> Display adapter properties

Apps & features -> Programs and Features

Default apps -> Set default by app

Power & Sleep -> Additional power settings

About -> Additional administrative tools

About -> Bitlocker settings

About -> Device manager

About -> System info

Links in "Devices":

Printers & Scanners -> Devices and printers

Printers & Scanners -> Device manager

(These two appear in multiple menus)

Mouse & touchpad -> Additional mouse options

Links in "Network & Internet":

Status -> Change adapter options (shows up several times)

Status -> Sharing options

Status -> HomeGroup (shows up several times)

Status -> Windows Firewall (shows up several times)

Status -> Network troubleshooter

Status -> Network and Sharing Center (shows up several times)

Ethernet -> Change advanced sharing options

Dial-up -> Set up a new connection

Links in Personalization:

Lock screen -> Screen saver settings

Themes -> Theme settings

Themes -> Advanced sound settings

Themes -> Desktop icon settings

Themes -> Mouse pointer settings

Links in Time & Language:

Date & time -> Additional date, time & regional settings (shows up several times)

Date & time -> Add clocks for different time zones

Not to mention all the things you just can't do in settings.

The settings app can do things like "change profile picture" but that's about as advanced as it gets. For everything else, such as making someone an admin, set static IP, change locale, change any VPN setting besides basically "username and password", change firewall settings, and the list goes on and on and on... If you want to do those types of things then you need the control panel. Most likely because the settings app is an UWP app, and therefore is extremely limited in what it can and can't do.

Agreed with all of the above - however, if they renamed "Control Panel" to "advanced settings", and merged the UI look so that it's not a completely different UI compared to the rest of the OS, this might mitigate some of the issues.

However, integrating them more seamlessly would be a vastly better option. I have no problem with advanced settings being separated or buried so that regular users don't do something stupid. But right now, it's a bit of a nightmare with all of the separation. I honestly don't even go into settings anymore for the most part, and go straight to Control Panel, as I still prefer the UI of it, and I know that I'm gonna find what I'm looking for.

About the only thing I go into settings for these days is:

Disabling Windows Managing printers

Setting default browser and video player

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)