dark clouds looming in the video cards supply chain - inventory levels are up, sales are down

zMeul

Price. It's all about price.

That the greed and distribution problems are being punished feels good man.

A used 290x for $120 is still the best money you can spend gpu wise.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

In Ireland I am having hard time to find a EVGA GTX 1070 FTW. EVGA themselves shut down their European store with no re-opening date in sight (been like this for around 3 months now). Some vendors have few GPUs and are charging an arm and a leg - around €550 for GTX 1070 FTW.

In general pricing in Europe is just ridiculous. If you look on amazon.co.uk reviews people are not happy about it at all and either are postponing or simply jumping the ship to AMD. I can only imagine this viewed from side from someone who is new at the whole PC building business.

p.s. I am still waiting for either amazon.co.uk or EVGA Europe store to stock GTX 1070 FTW

6 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Price. It's all about price.

That the greed and distribution problems are being punished feels good man.

A used 290x for $120 is still the best money you can spend gpu wise.

Where did you see such price for 290x? Are we talking about AMD Radeon R9 290X because I find it hard to believe anyone would sell 290x for $120 that currently retails around $300-400.

2 minutes ago, edsdrafts said:

EVGA Europe store to stock GTX 1070 FTW

I haven't seen anything on EVGA EU store other than dust

Just now, zMeul said:

I haven't seen anything on EVGA EU store other than dust

I bought a card from them around August. Pity all this fiasco with thermal pads etc. happened. I decided to return it and buy again - this time with all sorted in factory.

It seems that the store closed around September. No news on their site of re-opening date though but having Christmas on our heels I am surprised it is still this way.

9 minutes ago, edsdrafts said:

Where did you see such price for 290x? Are we talking about AMD Radeon R9 290X because I find it hard to believe anyone would sell 290x for $120 that currently retails around $300-400.

That's what i paid for mine. Ebayers are trying to get 150 but they don't sell easy. I bought mine on a Norwegian equivalent site.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 minute ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

That's what i paid for mine. Ebayers are trying to get 150 but they don't sell easy. I bought mine on a Norwegian equivalent site.

I saw one or two from US around that price but then customs would slam it to €200 here at least. I wouldn't call it a trend yet though.

4 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

This is what I'd have to pay for a second GTX 970. Note the price of broken cards: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=gtx 970&LH_PrefLoc=2&_dcat=27386&Memory%20Size=4GB&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, ManIkWeet said:

Maybe they shouldn't have hiked the price up so much... Smaller chipset larger costs ¬¬

Remember that they went from 28nm to 14nm, so they practically doubled the output per-wafer (minus some manufacturing errors).

The cards are too expensive, that's all.

... The actual size of the die is what primarilydetermines the output and yield of the wafer, not the node.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

... The actual size of the die is what primarilydetermines the output and yield of the wafer, not the node.

i would agree if they was doing 14/16nm PLANAR. But they are using FinFet, a technology which is a FIRST for both AMD and Nvidia. Only Intel has real product-to-market experience when it comes to FinFet/Trigate designs.

Naturally, a whole new way of designing and implementing transistors will come with its own challenges both in design and yields of said design. This is only natural.

How is this dark? All I see is a shining beacon of hope that some new GPUs are going to be more affordable. If Nvidia needs to hold off on putting spinning rims on their solid gold jet-skis because they have to lower their prices, that's fine by me. In this economy, nothing beneficial happens for consumers unless a corporation is forced to listen.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

i would agree if they was doing 14/16nm PLANAR. But they are using FinFet, a technology which is a FIRST for both AMD and Nvidia. Only Intel has real product-to-market experience when it comes to FinFet/Trigate designs.

Naturally, a whole new way of designing and implementing transistors will come with its own challenges both in design and yields of said design. This is only natural.

So do Samsung and Qualcomm... And actually AMD has had a few 14nm FF products out too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, Me1z said:

How is this dark? All I see is a shining beacon of hope that some new GPUs are going to be more affordable. If Nvidia needs to hold off on putting spinning rims on their solid gold jet-skis because they have to lower their prices, that's fine by me. In this economy, nothing beneficial happens for consumers unless a corporation is forced to listen.

let's say nVidia will drop prices, AMD will be forced to drop prices as well

and with the upcoming VEGA, that's rumored to be as fast as GTX1080, AMD will lose $ if they'll try to match nVidia's pricing

is the consumer going to end on top? yes and no

has nVidia learned anything from this and won't replicate it next generation? I truly believe they didn't

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

So do Samsung and Qualcomm... And actually AMD has had a few 14nm FF products out too.

Bristol Ridge you mean? Carrizo was 28nm Planar. Fiji was also 28nm Planar. 

The only 14/16nm FinFet product that i know AMD has launched is Polaris. Bristol Ridge launched after polaris.

PS4 Slim/Pro which is 16nm TSCM was launched WAY after polaris.

So what product are you referring to? test cases?? I'm sure Nvidia has had plenty of test cases too. But test products and products meant for mass market are two different things. Consumers are much better at discovering the weird bugs then test systems and engineers are. we know this, because QA/QC is being "crowdsources" by more and more companies, and they would only do it if they knew it was easier and more cost efficient to handle it that way.

Mobile processes is not the same as desktop. Both have their own unique challenges. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to Bananas. FinFet is FinFet, regardless of platform, but the impact different configurations have will not be similar, especially when you ramp up voltages and heat to X86 desktop levels.

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

let's say nVidia will drop prices, AMD will be forced to drop prices as well

and with the upcoming VEGA, that's rumored to be as fast as GTX1080, AMD will lose $ if they'll try to match nVidia's pricing

is the consumer going to end on top? yes and no

has nVidia learned anything from this and won't replicate it next generation? I truly believe they didn't

AMD doesnt seem to understand the concept of "margins". If their new GPU has 1080 perf, you can expect it to be a bigger die, at a slightly lower then 1080 cost, and sell in lower volumes then GeForce cards, and thus cost more to produce.

28 minutes ago, Prysin said:

AMD doesnt seem to understand the concept of "margins". If their new GPU has 1080 perf, you can expect it to be a bigger die, at a slightly lower then 1080 cost, and sell in lower volumes then GeForce cards, and thus cost more to produce.

Why would it be a bigger die when AMD is on 14nm and Nv on 16?

Prices are too high and its also possibly because people are waiting for AMD to release Vega.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

30 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Why would it be a bigger die when AMD is on 14nm and Nv on 16?

because Nvidias CUDA cores are more efficient then AMDs stream processors, Every single time AMD has a stronger GPU then Nvidia, it has more stream processors and is larger.

the practical size difference between GLOFO/Samsung 14 and TSMC 16 is irrelevant. The way they measure their transistors you can basically call them the same when all is said.

AMD also have a few extra features in their GPUs that Nvidia doesnt. Hardware schedulers take space, Nvidia doesnt have those, thus their DIE size is smaller. AMD also has wider buses, calling for a larger bus interface and IMC. Again, takes space.

36 minutes ago, Prysin said:

because Nvidias CUDA cores are more efficient then AMDs stream processors, Every single time AMD has a stronger GPU then Nvidia, it has more stream processors and is larger.

the practical size difference between GLOFO/Samsung 14 and TSMC 16 is irrelevant. The way they measure their transistors you can basically call them the same when all is said.

AMD also have a few extra features in their GPUs that Nvidia doesnt. Hardware schedulers take space, Nvidia doesnt have those, thus their DIE size is smaller. AMD also has wider buses, calling for a larger bus interface and IMC. Again, takes space.

I feel like we need a thread explaining these kind of things and the differences between AMD and Nvidia GPUs.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

I think they do (look at the RX 460.......) and well I think they want to beat nvidia on price first and then later take advantage and move up the price.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

Bristol Ridge you mean? Carrizo was 28nm Planar. Fiji was also 28nm Planar. 

The only 14/16nm FinFet product that i know AMD has launched is Polaris. Bristol Ridge launched after polaris.

PS4 Slim/Pro which is 16nm TSCM was launched WAY after polaris.

So what product are you referring to? test cases?? I'm sure Nvidia has had plenty of test cases too. But test products and products meant for mass market are two different things. Consumers are much better at discovering the weird bugs then test systems and engineers are. we know this, because QA/QC is being "crowdsources" by more and more companies, and they would only do it if they knew it was easier and more cost efficient to handle it that way.

Mobile processes is not the same as desktop. Both have their own unique challenges. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to Bananas. FinFet is FinFet, regardless of platform, but the impact different configurations have will not be similar, especially when you ramp up voltages and heat to X86 desktop levels.

I mean Polaris 10 and 11, both of which have been successful in taking back market share from Nvidia, pretty significantly.

Well, who would have thought NVidia's insane price gouging would result in this? People can't afford 600-1200$ GPU's. I've been saying this for a long while, that NVidia is pushing up prices on their models. Sure it's only possible because AMD doesn't have proper alternatives, but even when they do, people just blindly buy NVidia anyways, even when it's more expensive. I think this is a good thing. Even the 1060 and 480 are too expensive as it is.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Where I live no stores keep stock of the 1080 and they barely keep stock of the 1070, you'll see plenty of 1060's and 1050's and rx 480's to rx 460's.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Very good news that these cards are not selling well.

This isn't surprising in the slightest - they are selling these cards at ludicrously high prices despite the products featuring no more iteration than is usual.

Hopefully this drives down prices in order for them to sell more.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

If you can't find it within yourself to blame nvidia, blame Trump.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -