Petitions Committee deny debate on the Repeal the new Surveillance laws (Investigatory Powers Act) Petition

mcraftax

Some Stuff  that is not directly linked to the article.

Spoiler
  1. Sorry if this is not really news
  2. Sorry if i get the stuff needed wrong
  3. On that note I could not find any article on this but this is an email send out to anyone who signed the partitions by the UK Government ("Petitions team")
  4. Sorry if there is spelling or grammar mistakes, I'm dislexic :)
  5. I'm not going to say UK before anything. e.g Petitions Committee = UK Petitions Committee

The UK Petitions Committee has declined a debate on the Repeal the new Surveillance laws (Investigatory Powers Act) petition.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199

They said that

The Investigatory Powers Bill was debated on many occasions in Parliament before it became law.

This is true (http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/investigatorypowers/stages.html) but I my opinion they have not done it probably and they [the politicians] have no idea what they are talking about. Nor do I think it is right. Plus they are doing to use it for more than they say explicitly plus it will set us going down a slippery slope to something like China.

They are keeping this very low profile and hidden from the public. I have not seen much media coverage to it either. There are a few article on this on the BBC website but i do not remember it been any kind of headline.

What do you think?

I was (not sure) thinking this was just an excuse to get out of it but that's just a guess. Plus to keep the profile down and just slip it past the public.

Email:

Spoiler

I've tried to copy it the best i can.

From: Petitions: UK Government and Parliament <no-reply@petition.parliament.uk>

Subject: Parliament didn’t debate “Repeal the new Surveillance laws (Investigatory Powers Act)”

To: <My email - you don't need to know>

Body:
You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “Repeal the new Surveillance laws (Investigatory Powers Act)”.
To unsubscribe from this petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/28765840/unsubscribe?token=<thought i'd remove it>
The Petitions Committee has decided not to schedule a debate on this petition. When it decides which petitions should be debated, the Committee looks at whether the subject has recently been debated by the House of Commons. 
The Investigatory Powers Bill was debated on many occasions in Parliament before it became law. You can read all the debates here: 
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16/investigatorypowers/stages.html
Before it was introduced into Parliament, the Bill was investigated by a Committee of MPs and Members of the House of Lords, who heard evidence and produced a report with recommendations about the Bill. You can find out about the work of that Committee here: 
https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/joint-select/draft-investigatory-powers-bill/
The petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199
Find out more about the Petitions Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee
Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

This was meant to be any update to what is happening with the Act and not a repost if some of you take it like that.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

At least its not as bad as PRISM

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

5 minutes ago, mcraftax said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  1. Sorry if this is not really news
  2. Sorry if i get the stuff needed wrong
  3. On that note I could not find any article on this but this is an email send out to anyone who signed the partitions by the UK Government ("Petitions team")
  4. Sorry if there is spelling or grammar mistakes, I'm dislexic :)
  5. I'm not going to say UK before anything. e.g Petitions Committee = UK Petitions Committee
  Reveal hidden contents

I've tried to copy it the best i can.

Yes, I got this email a few days ago from them about this. It's shoddy that they won't even discuss it again as it was so soon after they already met and talked about it they said, which is complete bullshit and makes a mockery of this process.

As usual the British public just have to eat it and grin. I for one aren't that bothered about being actually spied on, I have taken precautions and suggest you all do the same, such as VPN... it's not foolproof of course, but at least it's a step you can take. The VPN thta I use has already said that they won't comply with any orders about giving up decryption keys or back doors as they are outside of the UK and so on. They also mention the upcoming US legislation too. Anyway, in the event that they are compromised in server locations, they don't keep logs anyway.

To me it's worth the £32 or so a year for this VPN service just for other uses I have (have been using it for approx 2 years now), but is a bonus that it gets around stupid spying laws mostly too.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

snip

What vpn do you use? I would not be able to get it but I would like to look into it. Thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

23 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

At least its not as bad as PRISM

Intelligence is everything in battle right! ... 

But seriously everything has gone too far and keeps falling.

Authorities can't look though the walls of your house (or more specifically raid it without a reason/warrant) (idk, do they have x-rays goggles?) so why can they do this?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Authorities can't look though the walls of your house (or more specifically raid it without a reason/warrant) (idk, do they have x-rays goggles?) so why can they do this?

Because nobody tells them that they can't. The citizens in the UK have no real power to fight the legislation that happens there. They'll say it's to protect you, but in reality, this bill only violates people.

I used to be quite active here.

15 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Because nobody tells them that they can't. The citizens in the UK have no real power to fight the legislation that happens there. They'll say it's to protect you, but in reality, this bill only violates people.

Then you have tons of people with the "If you don't have anything to hide, you have nothing to worry about" mentality, who are too ignorant to realize that all of their rights are slowly being taken away.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Then you have tons of people with the "If you don't have anything to hide, you have nothing to worry about" mentality, who are too ignorant to realize that all of their rights are slowly being taken away.

That's the sad fact though, but i bet they would not like actually you going though their file though.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

5 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Totally correct. I'm sure most of the citizens don't care at all about this bill because of that mentality they were indoctrinated into believing.

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

That's the sad fact though, but i bet they would not like actually you going though their file though.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Totally correct. I'm sure most of the citizens don't care at all about this bill because of that mentality they were indoctrinated into believing.

Yes and people with that mindset also fail to realize that if the government can do it, so can other people.  If the door can be opened, it will be.

I tried to sign the petition but it wouldn't let me because I'm not a citizen. I wish more people would care about things like this and come together to fight them.  Without large enough numbers individual attempts will go the route of Aaron Schwartz.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I tried to sign the petition but it wouldn't let me because I'm not a citizen. I wish more people would care about things like this and come together to fight them.  Without large enough numbers individual attempts will go the route of Aaron Schwartz.

We've been told for years that the five eyes network allows british and american governments to spy on our telecoms. No amount of protesting has done anything about it.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 hours ago, mcraftax said:

What vpn do you use? I would not be able to get it but I would like to look into it. Thanks

Privateinternetaccess.com Link

They are very good, and offer a monthly sub too if that's more readily affordable for you... no I don't work for them or anything, but believe in passing good word of companies around. There are many others of course, but I haven't tried them and some of them are expensive comparatively IMO.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

"Your government has no reason to care about what you want, because "whaddya gonna do about it?". You have allowed yourselves to be tricked/forced into a totalitarian police state, enjoy the fruits of your apathy and lack of historical knowledge".

Just wait, and watch. Things WILL get worse.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

"Your government has no reason to care about what you want, because "whaddya gonna do about it?". You have allowed yourselves to be tricked/forced into a totalitarian police state, enjoy the fruits of your apathy and lack of historical knowledge".

Just wait, and watch. Things WILL get worse.

Lol, did you just quote yourself?

This is government over reach X10 and like you said a slippery slope. The UK citizens need to get their head out of their asses, this is a gross abuse of power.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I don't care what the Petitions Committee or the Queen of England thinks. If we can get enough people on the streets, they will revert the law.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

I don't care what the Petitions Committee or the Queen of England thinks. If we can get enough people on the streets, they will revert the law.

Over a million people were on the streets protesting the Iraq War in 2003, remind me of what came of that.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

The Investigatory Powers Act dramatically increases transparency around the use of investigatory powers. It protects both privacy and security and underwent unprecedented scrutiny before becoming law.

- UK Govmnt 2016.

It's a bad time to be living in the UK. Or the US, Or any other country I hear/read about.

FeelsBadMan.

meanwhile in my country we got rid of the government who tried to sellout our constitution. Feels good.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, Fetzie said:

Over a million people were on the streets protesting the Iraq War in 2003, remind me of what came of that.

Clearly, a million wasn't enough :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

14 hours ago, Energycore said:

And they'll just continue doing this shit behind closed doors. As they have been doing.

2 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

And they'll just continue doing this shit behind closed doors. As they have been doing.

Hell, they barely even need to hide it anymore. They just have the media distract the masses.

watching this movie now makes it that much more hilarious 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>