Can i crossfire on a sli board

So i got my board because of the colors not the sli.

And can i crossfire a 390 on it.

Also what is a good PSU to do that 

I have a s12 ii right now 

Everyone should own a vive.

What wattage? And if it can SLI than it can Crossfire

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

If you can SLI, you can xf. If you can XF not sure if you can SLI. What do you have? Can you just look up mobo name and see if it's support SLI or not?

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

If you can SLI, you can xf. If you can XF not sure if you can SLI. What do you have? Can you just look up mobo name and see if it's support SLI or not?

Lol it's a sli edition board 

1 minute ago, MANIDY inc said:

Lol it's a sli edition board 

yes you can

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

What wattage? And if it can SLI than it can Crossfire

520 I think 

Best to look it up for yourself. We're all just assuming, we don't even know what board you have.

Figure that out, then look it up on the manufacturers website. It'll give you a definitive answer.

As for CF, you'd probably want a 750w to 850w PSU. I like the G2 series. There are numerous others that will of course work.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Anything that can SLI can CrossFire. A lot of people here have said that, but I'm going to expound a bit more. Based on my knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here is what the facts are:

The criteria for running two of the exact same chip GPU's requires

- 2+ PCIe x16 (or x8 speed in x16 size) slots (1 for each GPU in the system)

- A version of the card with 1 SLI finger for two way SLI, or multiple SLI fingers for the amount of cards you want (or two fingers for a two-way High Bandwidth SLI pairing)

- A board that SUPPORTS SLI (assuming that's just something added into the chipset and into the BIOS for compatibility)

Since SLI requires at least two PCIe x16 slots, your board must have two PCIe x16 slots, obviously. Now, the criteria for Crossfire is as follows:

So, let's think for a moment. SLI requires the correct amount of PCIE slots and an SLI certified board. Crossfire requires the correct amount of PCIE slots. So, using reverse psychology, we can see that any motherboard that supports SLI can therefore support CrossFire. CrossFire doesn't require any bridge like SLI fingers, nor can a board be CrossFire certified. All it has to have is at least two x16 size PCIE slots running at x8 or faster.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

5 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

nor can a board be CrossFire certified. All it has to have is at least two x16 size PCIE slots running at x8 or faster.

Yes boards do need to be crossfire certified to use crossfire, just like SLi requires an SLI certification. There are plenty of boards that don't work with crossfire because they aren't certified mostly server/workstation boards.

For a desktop board with multiple pcie x16 slots most likely it does support crossfire just because it is so much more widespread then SLi. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

50 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Yes boards do need to be crossfire certified to use crossfire, just like SLi requires an SLI certification. There are plenty of boards that don't work with crossfire because they aren't certified mostly server/workstation boards.

For a desktop board with multiple pcie x16 slots most likely it does support crossfire just because it is so much more widespread then SLi. 

Anything with enough full-sized PCIe slots can crossfire, as long as it can at least run two 8x. You can even do triple crossfire with 8x 4x 4x. The only thing a crossfire logo in the mobo box implies is that it can allocate enough pcie lanes to full-sized pcie slots simultaneously. 

It's not at all like SLI certification, which may not be present in several boards with multiple electrically 16x or 8x slots. 

1 hour ago, Trav_X said:

Anything that can SLI can CrossFire. A lot of people here have said that, but I'm going to expound a bit more. Based on my knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here is what the facts are:

- A version of the card with 1 SLI finger for two way SLI, or multiple SLI fingers for the amount of cards you want (or two fingers for a two-way High Bandwidth SLI pairing)

- A board that SUPPORTS SLI (assuming that's just something added into the chipset and into the BIOS for compatibility)

Since SLI requires at least two PCIe x16 slots, your board must have two PCIe x16 slots, obviously. Now, the criteria for Crossfire is as follows:

So, let's think for a moment. SLI requires the correct amount of PCIE slots and an SLI certified board. Crossfire requires the correct amount of PCIE slots. So, using reverse psychology, we can see that any motherboard that supports SLI can therefore support CrossFire. CrossFire doesn't require any bridge like SLI fingers, nor can a board be CrossFire certified. All it has to have is at least two x16 size PCIE slots running at x8 or faster.

x4 or faster for Crossfire.

SLi will not work on anything below x8..

Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock . XEON X5650 4.49ghz

29 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Anything with enough full-sized PCIe slots can crossfire, as long as it can at least run two 8x. You can even do triple crossfire with 8x 4x 4x. The only thing a crossfire logo in the mobo box implies is that it can allocate enough pcie lanes to full-sized pcie slots simultaneously. 

It's not at all like SLI certification, which may not be present in several boards with multiple electrically 16x or 8x slots. 

The crossfire logo means it has been certified to use crossfire and the motherboard maker has payed for the right for the board to be certified, and the amd drivers will look for that certification.

Normally this isn't an issue on desktop boards since 99.9% with multiple pcie slots are crossfire certified. The issues arise when you use non cerifited boards that are most often server/workstation boards which have no use for either sli or crossfire so never get the certification. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

7 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

The crossfire logo means it has been certified to use crossfire and the motherboard maker has payed for the right for the board to be certified, and the amd drivers will look for that certification.

You are describing SLI. 

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

no thats with SLI, its SLI certification i know that becase that's what my board is xD 

3 hours ago, MANIDY inc said:

no thats with SLI, its SLI certification i know that becase that's what my board is xD 

We haven't even told us WHAT motherboard you are using...

Both SLI and Crossfire will have a logo silk-screened onto the motherboard, or shown on there motherboard's outer packaging box.

Example...

Spoiler

ex18xyMh.jpg

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

40 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

We haven't even told us WHAT motherboard you are using...

Both SLI and Crossfire will have a logo silk-screened onto the motherboard, or shown on there motherboard's outer packaging box.

Example...

Hide contents

ex18xyMh.jpg

I can say I have never seen a crossfire logo thing. Even on board I've seen people crossfire on. And me looking into it. It said a board has to be SLI certifired to be able to SLI but pretty much any Mobo with 2 pcie slots you can crossfire. Because crossfire has no special needs to work. And for SLI it does.

And I said my Mobo is SLI it's a SLi edition board it's the sli krait edition 

Edited by MANIDY inc

crossfire only requires you to have 2 PCIE slots , if it can SLI its guaranteed to do CF

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

7 hours ago, Trav_X said:

Crossfire is fine if the second slot is only x4. Its why my Asus H87M Pro can do Crossfire.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You are describing SLI. 

10 hours ago, MANIDY inc said:

It is the same tehnology. 99.9% chance if it supports SLI it supports crossfire, but there is a chance it doesn't if you don't see a certification that it does.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/70

Requirements

It has to have certification to run crossfire, you can't run it on everything, it is mostly an issue with server boards though which cannot run crossfire due to lack of certification. I hate repeating myself.

5 hours ago, SLAYR said:

It has to have certification to run crossfire, you can't run it on everything, it is mostly an issue with server boards though which cannot run crossfire due to lack of certification. I hate repeating myself.

Yeah, I hate you repeating yourself too. Especially because repetition doesn't make something true.

Also, recommended =/= required.

But feel free to enlighten me and explain what else than sufficient PCie slots and lanes does a motherboard need to run crossfire, because all this "black box" certification won't cut it. It is a fact that SLI won't work on non-certified boards. Can you same the same of Crossfire on boards with enough PCIe slots+lanes? I mean evidenced-backed, not just a mantra.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if certain server chipsets perhaps get in teh way of crossfire, but then they wouldn't support SLI either. I stand by any mainstream platform (or X99) board that supports SLI also supporting crossfire, and also by it supporting crossfire if enough PCIe slots+lanes are present.

It seems I'm not the only one to think so:

crossfire 390's? jesus, the power draw when you can have that much performance in one card with less than half the TDP? 

furnace.. 

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yeah, I hate you repeating yourself too. Especially because repetition doesn't make something true.

Also, recommended =/= required.

But feel free to enlighten me and explain what else than sufficient PCie slots and lanes does a motherboard need to run crossfire, because all this "black box" certification won't cut it. It is a fact that SLI won't work on non-certified boards. Can you same the same of Crossfire on boards with enough PCIe slots+lanes? I mean evidenced-backed, not just a mantra.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if certain server chipsets perhaps get in teh way of crossfire, but then they wouldn't support SLI either. I stand by any mainstream platform (or X99) board that supports SLI also supporting crossfire, and also by it supporting crossfire if enough PCIe slots+lanes are present.

It seems I'm not the only one to think so:

It used to be that a custom driver was all that was needed to get SLI working on non certified boards (eg. My Asus P5 Deluxe, which has 2x PCIe x16 slots that run at x8 with 2 cards installed, and could run SLI with the custom driver)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

30 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

crossfire 390's? jesus, the power draw when you can have that much performance in one card with less than half the TDP? 

furnace.. 

My 390 I have now doesn't even get past 75c 

I have Crossfire setup on a board that has a name "MSI X99 SLI PLUS"

does that answer your question?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

15 hours ago, MANIDY inc said:

I can say I have never seen a crossfire logo thing. Even on board I've seen people crossfire on. And me looking into it. It said a board has to be SLI certifired to be able to SLI but pretty much any Mobo with 2 pcie slots you can crossfire. Because crossfire has no special needs to work. And for SLI it does.

And I said my Mobo is SLI it's a SLi edition board it's the sli krait edition 

The SLI and Crossfire logos used to appears on almost every motherboard.

These days, only some have them -- there is just not much more free space on the motherboard.

Anyways, according to MSi's website, your motherboard supports both SLI and Crossfire.

https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition.html#hero-overview

Multi-GPU: NVIDIA SLI & AMD Crossfire Support

Multi-GPU Support

• Supports 2-way NVIDIA SLI Technology
  • Support 2-way AMD Crossfire Technology

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>