Display port to HDMI

Community,

I received a curved monitor for my birthday and love it. The only problem is, it only has AMD freesync. The only AMD GPU that supports HDMI 2.0 is the RX480. The 480 is great but doesn't have much a$$ behind it like the fury x. Would a Display port to HDMI 2.0 adapter (for the Fury X) still let me use Freesync or should I cap my GTX 980 to 50 something fps? I constantly get screen tears and the usual problems where the display can't keep up. Selling the monitor is not an option as it was a gift and will hurt the person very much. Thank you in advance.

Thanks,

Rob

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

1) the 980 already has HDMI 2.0

2) you cannot use freessync on an nvidia GPU

3) vsync will help reduce screen tearing, or try using an fps lock

4) a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter will do nothing expect make the experience worse

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 10/24/2016 at 5:52 PM, dual290x said:

Community,

I received a curved monitor for my birthday and love it. The only problem is, it only has AMD freesync. The only AMD GPU that supports HDMI 2.0 is the RX480. The 480 is great but doesn't have much a$$ behind it like the fury x. Would a Display port to HDMI 2.0 adapter (for the Fury X) still let me use Freesync or should I cap my GTX 980 to 50 something fps? I constantly get screen tears and the usual problems where the display can't keep up. Selling the monitor is not an option as it was a gift and will hurt the person very much. Thank you in advance.

Thanks,

Rob

A passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter will only get you HDMI 1.4 from the Fury X. You would need an active adapter to get HDMI 2.0, but I highly doubt FreeSync would work through it. I don't see why you need to use HDMI 2.0 though, doesn't the monitor have DisplayPort input?

The monitor only has HDMI 2.0 and VGA. This is not a $600-1,000 monitor as it came from Sam's Club so the specs aren't great. 4ms with 60hz refresh. I have tried overclocking it to 75hz but it just gets worse.

Enderman, I do apologize if I was not clear. I have a 980 but I receive the screen tears due to the monitor not keeping up unless the games are at a max of 59 fps. I am aware that freesync won't work on Nvidia cards, so I am considering a Fury X.

Glenwing, I checked out HDMI 2.0 working with freesync. AMD has said that freesync currently works with 2.0. The Fury X as you probably know does not have HDMI 2.0 (I think it has 1.4). However, I know its displayports are compatible with freesync. So I didn't know if there was a cable or adapter that could plug into the Fury X  DP and then connect to the HDMI 2.0 on the monitor.

Has anyone worked with any adapter or cable that meets the specs I am talking about? I do appreciate the input so far.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

What monitor is this specifically? Unless it's 4K, you shouldn't need HDMI 2.0. Also I wouldn't say that it's worth switching to a Fury X from a 980 just because you want FreeSync. 

"Rawr XD"

I can see what will happen if I cap my 980. I am not at home to get the specific details of the monitor but I know it's 27" 1080 panel. I've read that HDMI 1.4 is capable but not quite preferred. I could have sworn that I read on AMD's website that they said it would only work on DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.0a. I was going to save some spare cash and wait till the summer to get the Fury X but I shall see what happens when I cap my current gpu. It will be a little while since I haven't had much time to game due to school taking up so much time. It is never ending.

ORLY?