What is DOS operating system?

Hi guys, I need some help. I am looking forward to buy the MSI GL62 6QF. But when i was looking at the laptop specs I saw that this laptops has DOS operating system on amazon store. I am confused now and also worried, is dos same as windows operating system? Or is it linux operating system!!. And is it necessary to buy a copy of windows 10 after buying it!? I am a student so i need ppt, word, to work and also games..:) please help me.. 

Thank you...:)

Hello and welcome to the forums!

DOS is an old OS that pre-dates windows. I am a little curious where you would find a link to a new computer being advertised as having DOS. Please provide a link of this...

When in doubt, re-format.

DOS is short for Disk Operating System. It's basically a class of operating systems that provide basic services, can only run one program at a time, and back in the old days, were expected to run stuff from a floppy drive (but then hard drives came out and they can run stuff from there).

Otherwise no. You don't need DOS to run Windows 10.

DOS = Disk Operating System

The OS gets stored on a disk drive. It should state if it's windows or not, but most likely is.

4 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

DOS is an old OS that pre-dates windows. I am a little curious where you would find a link to a new computer being advertised as having DOS. Please provide a link of this...

http://www.amazon.in/MSI-6QF-Laptop-NVidia-Geforce/dp/B01LWE325D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476715902&sr=8-1&keywords=msi

this is were i found it.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

DOS is short for Disk Operating System. It's basically a class of operating systems that provide basic services, can only run one program at a time, and back in the old days, were expected to run stuff from a floppy drive (but then hard drives came out and they can run stuff from there).

Otherwise no. You don't need DOS to run Windows 10.

Thank you

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

DOS = Disk Operating System

The OS gets stored on a disk drive. It should state if it's windows or not, but most likely is.

Thank you

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Oh god. This post made me feel old...

Kids don't even recognize DOS anymore?

Hahaha....I know...Thank you

6 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Don't take Amazon's spec sheets seriously, they say the weirdest things...

yes thats true. 

So guys should I buy it!? Is it safe... Or should I go for the Asus GL552 VX because it has windows 10 preinstalled but it has 950m:(

31 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Some systems come with freedos to have a free os installed, so you can reimage it with what ever you want later. I rember the hp mobile workstations comming with it.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Some systems come with freedos to have a free os installed, so you can reimage it with what ever you want later. I rember the hp mobile workstations comming with it.

mmm.. I should think about it. Thank you

as someone else said we sometimes see computers ship with freeDOS. iv never seen a gaming laptop shipped with freeDOS. That makes me suspicious as this one is windows 10 compatible and windows 10 Home for OEMs is something like US$10 or US$30. recommend you contact the seller because they really have no excuse to ship without OEM windows 10 home edition

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 10/18/2016 at 10:03 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

as someone else said we sometimes see computers ship with freeDOS. iv never seen a gaming laptop shipped with freeDOS. That makes me suspicious as this one is windows 10 compatible and windows 10 Home for OEMs is something like US$10 or US$30. recommend you contact the seller because they really have no excuse to ship without OEM windows 10 home edition

Yes ill contact the seller.

I think you now know what DOS is. I saw some pc manufacturers shipping their pcs with FreeDOS preinstalled, which is pretty stupid since there are a lot of free "real desktop" Linux distros out there. I think it's kinda weird that msi is equipping their laptops with DOS, seems strange to me. You maybe should look for another model or contact the seller to make sure the pc is a 100% Windows 10 compatible.