Benq monitor "Out of range" getting really annoying..

This problem is really strange and happens inconsistently.

When I turn on my PC, everything goes normal, goes through bios screen, windows logo, then stops and this message appears.

.20161017_081511-01.jpg

This happens once in 10-15 boots. This is really annoying me as I have no clue where is this coming from...

My graphics drivers are updated to the latest version. I didn't set my resolution to be out of range of my 1080p monitor's resolution. 

I tried going to Nvidia control panel to see if changing few settings would do anything, I tried to change "Perform scaling on" to "GPU", didn't do anything, same thing.

To temporarily fix this I just turn off and on the monitor and I'm in desktop.

My specs:

Monitor: Benq xl2430t (@144Hz)

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

CPU: Core i5 6600K

MB: Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3

PSU: Seasonic M12II-EVO620 80 Plus Bronze
RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury X 2x4Gb 2666MHz

Windows 10

As I said above. Why the hell does this happen inconsistently, like once in 10 boots? And what is causing this?

Please help guys!

its windows setting the resolution to something your monitor cant display 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1 minute ago, ITheSpazI said:

Why does it do that? How do I prevent it?

In Display Adapter Properties>List All Modes it is set to: 1920 by 1080, True Color  (32 bit), 144Hertz.

3 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

Why does it do that? How do I prevent it?

In Display Adapter Properties>List All Modes it is set to: 1920 by 1080, True Color  (32 bit), 144Hertz.

Could be nvidia's super resolution thing. Try turning it off.

2 minutes ago, thecreativename said:

Could be nvidia's super resolution thing. Try turning it off.

Was already off

Untitled.png

Are you using displayport to connect the monitor to the gpu?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Are you using displayport to connect the monitor to the gpu?

yes, forgot to mention that.

Just now, Lazarus23 said:

yes, forgot to mention that.

Maybe it's something not going always fine with the handshake thingy that displayport does (don't know the exact details).

What i would do is clean out the displayport connectors and make sure it's connected properly. No idea if that would solve it but it's worth giving a try.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

With modern monitors that support a wide range of up/downscaled resolutions, it's more likely a refresh rate issue rather than a resolution issue. For instance, OP's monitor doesn't support 30Hz, over DVI-D or DP, one of which I'm assuming he's using due to him being able to get 144Hz working. 30Hz is traditionally a very safe bet and it'd make sense that Windows reverts to it due to what ever random bug causes this issue. 

OP, you could try plugging in both DP and HDMI and once the issue arises, use the source button on your monitor to switch to HDMI. As you can see in the specs I linked, 30Hz is fine for the HDMI. If I'm on the right track, you should then be able to enter Windows and in your settings you'd see something below 56Hz.

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Maybe it's something not going always fine with the handshake thingy that displayport does (don't know the exact details).

What i would do is clean out the displayport connectors and make sure it's connected properly. No idea if that would solve it but it's worth giving a try.

All the parts are couple months old, everything is new. I don't think there's such thing as not connected properly, either it is connected or it isn't, I hope I'm right.

12 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

OP, you could try plugging in both DP and HDMI and once the issue arises, use the source button on your monitor to switch to HDMI. As you can see in the specs I linked, 30Hz is fine for the HDMI. If I'm on the right track, you should then be able to enter Windows and in your settings you'd see something below 56Hz.

And what would I achieve by doing that? I can already enter windows by turning the monitor off and on.

12 minutes ago, Lazarus23 said:

And what would I achieve by doing that? I can already enter windows by turning the monitor off and on.

Well window's settings has it on 1080p 144hz right? In that case, I'm unsure :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, Lazarus23 said:

Sorry. Can't help you there. For me the display problems begun when The anniversary update was released. I'm waiting for it to be fixed by Microsoft. Generally speaking, if restarting fixes it, it's not a problem to begin with. I mean, when it comes to computers, you're just going to have to tolerate some funky issues.

I was getting this with my BenQ XL2430T when I got it a year or so ago. Turned out my display port cable was one that sends voltage through one of the pins and makes the monitor freak out and give that message. I needed to get a proper cable that wasn't a shoddy made one and I haven't had that error pop up since. 

• 2 years later...

Hi, did you figure it out? I have exactly same problem like you ? Also have Benq monitor and sometimes during booting it is out of range. I just have to turn it of and back on and it is ok.  I just want to know why the fuck it is happening? 

• 9 months later...

I had the same. Changed the refresh rate from 59 Hz to 60 Hz and it works for me