So, this guy on youtube said you can see more then 30fps (NSFW)

Mentalguy

When I had my 144 hz I could tell a difference vs my 60 hz I have now, it's not a big difference but its nice to have that smoothness.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

On each respective refresh rate apparently it's night and day like you say. I'd like to try a 120hz monitor in the future with a framerate over 120fps to see how big a difference it is.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Its the plecebo effect if I spelled that right, you cannot see more than 60 frames and if you can it dosent bother me because im a casually play for fun im not like in esports or anything.

I can't find it. Whats the title or link?

Pretty sure it's on NCIX Tech Tips.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I can't find it. Whats the title or link?

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

there is a difference, it's why I even bothered to overclock my panel to 75hz, I used to own a 120hz monitor.

Yes it's a bit more complicated than that, I have used my explanation so many times that I honestly can't type it all out anymore, try Googling it should bring up a more detailed answer.

But in short eyes don't work in fps, the brain can only perceive a certain amount of 'frames' which is actually quite low (some say equivalent to 24fps, which is believable because we perceive motion blur), but can detect dramatic changes in light under 1/10000 sec at least (It's a natural reflex thing).

In terms of monitors you should be able to tell the difference between 60hz refresh and 120hz refresh depending on movement and environment changes. 

Its the plecebo effect if I spelled that right, you cannot see more than 60 frames and if you can it dosent bother me because im a casually play for fun im not like in esports or anything.

The placebo effect can take place but there is no proven limit to how many fps we can see--we don't see in fps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I showed my friend the video and he says you can "feel" it but can't see it.

Well it sounds like he's just waffling his way out of it now...

If you can "feel" it surely that is a benefit.

You can very easily see it. A friend' parents purchased a 120hz tv recently and the difference when watching tv with the effect on or when gaming and the tv adds the extra frames for anoothness is unbelievably noticeable. It is so hard not to see it. Even in passing you can very plainly see a difference. Simply get your friend to watch a tv or computer monitor that can produce the effect and ask him what he thinks then.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

When I got my 144hz monitor it was night and day.  Everything is so much smoother and no more screen tearing with vsync off.  After playing games with no tearing and vsync off I cannot go back.

The placebo effect can take place but there is no proven limit to how many fps we can see--we don't see in fps. we

whether its true or not the difference between 60 and 120 fps is so small that it has to be tested to see the difference so to any average person, its just a number.

This really should not be even up for debate anymore. Pro gamers, enthusiasts, and just gamers in general know you can. However I am of the belief that the difference is not perceived by the eye but it is interpreted by the brain. In other words everyone can see it just not everyone can notice it right off the bat. Or they have to be acclimated so to speak. Going from 60 to 144 might be hard to notice to a super casual gamer but from someone used to 144 going from 144/120 to 60 is absolutely horrid.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

whether its true or not the difference between 60 and 120 fps is so small that it has to be tested to see the difference so to any average person, its just a number.

No offense but everyone here is saying one thing and you are saying something radically different. Have you seen a high refresh rate monitor in person?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I, my friends, along with what seems to be a good number of those responding to this thread can quite easily tell the difference.

What do you mean by 'tested to see the difference'.....?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

you can see it but it doesnt always mean its better just because you can see the differance doesn't mean it will allow you to play games better or anything

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

No offense but everyone here is saying one thing and you are saying something radically different. Have you seen a high refresh rate monitor in person?

Yes I have been to my friends house to see his new high end BenQ monitor he got , so I tried playing rust and some games while I was there and it did not effect my gameplay so it dosent makes no difference to me.

I, my friends, along with what seems to be a good number of those responding to this thread can quite easily tell the difference.

What do you mean by 'tested to see the difference'.....?

I mean tested as in linus had to test someone to see if he could see the difference but linus himself could easily tell the difference, so to conclude my thoughts it dosent help me but if it helps you great go for it, im not attacking high frame rate monitors if that is what you infer about me.

This is a great explanation of it.

Exactly what I was getting at, I would go even further to say you can see flashes of light with a duration shorter than 1/1000 or even 1/10000 sec. So your brain takes them all in but throws away the ones that didn't show any dramatic changes because it thinks they are unimportant (Something to do with survival). You are left with ~24fps of percievable images (I don't think it's always an exact amount but in and around that) that can occur randomly throughout that second hence the blurring effect.

Yes I have been to my friends house to see his new high end BenQ monitor he got , so I tried playing rust and some games while I was there and it did not effect my gameplay so it dosent makes no difference to me.

Whether it affects your gameplay or not doesn't change whether or not the the visual difference is perceivable. It's similar to how better speakers or a better seat will helps some players and not others. 

I mean tested as in linus had to test someone to see if he could see the difference but linus himself could easily tell the difference, so to conclude my thoughts it dosent help me but if it helps you great go for it, im not attacking high frame rate monitors if that is what you infer about me.

What Linus' test showed is that a person who's more accustomed to using different displays will have an easier time detecting differences between different settings. One person in a video that isn't Linus himself isn't enough to set an example for 'all normal people'.