When will MP3 die out.

kuddlesworth9419

Band width and storage arnt the reason. Its still the standard formart for anything non apple for the most part. This is because everthing for 10+ years ago can still play it. Do you know how much backlash there was when the DSi or maybe 3DS could only play AAC/MP4 files? The standard format does no get dethroned easily just look at DVD and BD.

But the majority of people are ignorant to FLAC. If they heard it then they would never want to go back to MP3.

I'm sorry, but his is utter crap. If anything, I would say that most of those preaching about FLAC are ignorant about this stuff. For most modern music, most people claiming to hear difference between a very well encoded mp3 and flac are full of it. If the job is done right, you will need very good ears to hear the difference or you need to be an audio engineer and know what to listen for.

There was an unscientific test performed by a member on a Norwegian forum:

http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1490576&page=1

Where the OP makes music and decided to test if people can really hear the difference. He had eight files from the same section of music, and only one of them was encoded in mp3, the rest, lossless. The OP even selected a piece of music that would be suitable for spotting an mp3 among lossless and he gave very good pointers on what to listen for.

The results: Of all of those who voted, only 14.62% got it right, 36.26% didn't hear any difference and 49.12% got it wrong.

That said, IF you listen to music with high dynamic range, the differences will become more severe. Good luck finding pop music today with HDR. Too much music has fallen in the loudness war and has been compressed to kingdom come.

Oh, and btw, have you seen the MultiQuote button? :P

Coming from someone who has almost his entire music library ripped in FLAC... 99% of people won't hear the difference between 320Kbit MP3 and FLAC.

Many of the big music companies don't care about audio quality, so a lot of modern pop music CD's have worse quality than 320 MP3 offers as it takes up less space and is easier to mass-produce discs with lossy compressed source formats than burning directly from waveform (or other similar file formats).

Also, mass produced pop music is much destroyed with fancy sound effects and all that as well.. It's like there's no need for real instruments anymore!

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Coming from someone who has almost his entire music library ripped in FLAC... 99% of people won't hear the difference between 320Kbit MP3 and FLAC.

Many of the big music companies don't care about audio quality, so a lot of modern pop music CD's have worse quality than 320 MP3 offers as it takes up less space and is easier to mass-produce discs with lossy compressed source formats than burning directly from waveform (or other similar file formats).

Also, mass produced pop music is much destroyed with fancy sound effects and all that as well.. It's like there's no need for real instruments anymore!

Who says you need instruments to make good music?  B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCvfbzlX0I&list=PLZ7Gqp_oMrL1h0RshwJ_A59NtKMopFR-t&index=29

I'm sorry, but his is utter crap. If anything, I would say that most of those preaching about FLAC are ignorant about this stuff. For most modern music, most people claiming to hear difference between a very well encoded mp3 and flac are full of it. If the job is done right, you will need very good ears to hear the difference or you need to be an audio engineer and know what to listen for.

There was an unscientific test performed by a member on a Norwegian forum:

http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1490576&page=1

Where the OP makes music and decided to test if people can really hear the difference. He had eight files from the same section of music, and only one of them was encoded in mp3, the rest, lossless. The OP even selected a piece of music that would be suitable for spotting an mp3 among lossless and he gave very good pointers on what to listen for.

The results: Of all of those who voted, only 14.62% got it right, 36.26% didn't hear any difference and 49.12% got it wrong.

That said, IF you listen to music with high dynamic range, the differences will become more severe. Good luck finding pop music today with HDR. Too much music has fallen in the loudness war and has been compressed to kingdom come.

Oh, and btw, have you seen the MultiQuote button? :P

I dislike pop music. I listen to pretty much anything else though. It is simply difficult to find FLAC music. You generally need to buy the CD and then convert it to FLAC on PC. I can easily tell the difference between FLAC and MP3 but that is probably because I listen to the two all the time. The reason why that study is useless is because those that partook in the study where ignorant to the fact that there you can have better sound quality. They have most likely never heard of FLAC and have therefore never listened to high quality lossless sound but most likely only MP3 and the occasional CD/WAV. The difference between FLAC and MP3 is made greater when you have a mid range sound card and a pair of descent headphones. 

I have seen the MultiQuote button but I have never used it. Should I be using it?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

is this a legit question?
MP3 will always be used because not only does it take very little space (how does that not matter to you is beyond me) flac is not supported, and apple is one of the biggest companies guilty of this.
plus, on the hardware that most people listen to their music on, they won't notice the difference between Mp3 320kbps and a flac file, which I still can't tell too much a difference, not enough that would legitimize purchasing .flacs over the cheaper and more mass produced MP3

Just a heads up 320kbps is a waste for mp3 or lossy really...

I dislike pop music. I listen to pretty much anything else though. It is simply difficult to find FLAC music. You generally need to buy the CD and then convert it to FLAC on PC. I can easily tell the difference between FLAC and MP3 but that is probably because I listen to the two all the time. The reason why that study is useless is because those that partook in the study where ignorant to the fact that there you can have better sound quality. They have most likely never heard of FLAC and have therefore never listened to high quality lossless sound but most likely only MP3 and the occasional CD/WAV. The difference between FLAC and MP3 is made greater when you have a mid range sound card and a pair of descent headphones. 

I have seen the MultiQuote button but I have never used it. Should I be using it?

Those test have been around for a while, even @LAwLz put one up here not that long ago.   If you can hear the difference it is because the MP3 file was poorly coded and no other reason.  Everyone I know who has taken these tests cannot tell the difference and I highly doubt you can either.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Those test have been around for a while, even @LAwLz put one up here not that long ago.   If you can hear the difference it is because the MP3 file was poorly coded and no other reason.  Everyone I know who has taken these tests cannot tell the difference and I highly doubt you can either.

Well the fact alone that the an MP3 can be coded wrong says it all. The majority of MP3 files sound crap compared to FLAC where all FLAC files sound a lot better than the majority of MP3 files.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Well the fact alone that the an MP3 can be coded wrong says it all. The majority of MP3 files sound crap compared to FLAC where all FLAC files sound a lot better than the majority of MP3 files.

Not wrong, just poorly. Just like anything can be done poorly. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Not wrong, just poorly. Just like anything can be done poorly.

So your saying its impossible for someone to tell the difference between flac and mp3?

So your saying its impossible for someone to tell the difference between flac and mp3?

For most music, if not all, yes.

It's not impossible but incredibly hard for someone to tell the difference between a high bitrate MP3 and Flac yes. There are several tests out there. this just the first google result

I assure you, the guys at that forum aren't ignorant by almost anyones standard, very much including these forums. Where LTT has a sub-forum for audio, that forum has a complete section devoted to AV and several sub-forums for different aspects to audio. Questions about which asus sound card one should buy aren't even asked in those parts of the forums. I assure you, those guys know perfectly well about lossless audio. The fact that you even try to argue the way you do kinda says it all about this situation right here...

Instead of making four separate posts in rapid succession, quoting and answering a different post in each of them, you could just put them all into one nice big post ;) So I would say yes, use it :P

Like this.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I assure you, the guys at that forum aren't ignorant by almost anyones standard, very much including these forums. Where LTT has a sub-forum for audio, that forum has a complete section devoted to AV and several sub-forums for different aspects to audio. Questions about which asus sound card one should buy aren't even asked in those parts of the forums. I assure you, those guys know perfectly well about lossless audio. The fact that you even try to argue the way you do kinda says it all about this situation right here...

Instead of making four separate posts in rapid succession, quoting and answering a different post in each of them, you could just put them all into one nice big post ;) So I would say yes, use it :P

I have no idea how to use it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

It's not impossible. But to be able to tell the difference between a well-coded 320Kbit MP3 and FLAC you will need some -VERY- well-trained ears and some good speakers/headphones with a proper source. Just your average sound card and whatever speakers/headphones you're likely using right now won't cut it. Even the best onboard solutions is likely not to be enough even for the most sensitive ears.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

To all of those questioning hearing the difference between MP3 and FLAC if you know what to look for you tell. I picked out 2-3 on the one someone did on this forum and all I was using was Corsair SP2500 off the line out on my Creative ZxR. The ZxR is decent but I would consider the SP2500's anything special, just above average. MP3 (which is ancient now) and AAC and other lossy audio codecs are designed to take advantage of humans hearing and is designed to cut out areas we cant hear or cant hear very well. This is also why I say 320kbps MP3's are stupid because they just throw bitrate at the situation with their compression algorithm for the most part.

I'm not an audio Guy and nor I have Nothing Against mp3, I do use flac When possible but for me the biggest problem for me is that most of my Friends listen yo music on YouTube. You don't have to have golden ears to hear the difference imo. (audio guys, be gentle if I'm wrong)

This is also why I say 320kbps MP3's are stupid because they just throw bitrate at the situation with their compression algorithm for the most part.

I don't quite catch what you mean by this probably due to reasons explained

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I'm not an audio Guy and nor I have Nothing Against mp3, I do use flac When possible but for me the biggest problem for me is that most of my Friends listen yo music on YouTube. You don't have to have golden ears to hear the difference imo. (audio guys, be gentle if I'm wrong)

Depends on the track itself and the quality of the file uploaded, really. I've heard everything from "Oh my gahd why?" to no difference at all.

Hearing is believing

Like this.

Like your gif more <3

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review