When will MP3 die out.

kuddlesworth9419

It doesn't take much longer than 20 seconds to download a track in FLAC. Files that are around 20MB that is. I download tracks all the time, as long as the website is good and fast there is no problem. My internet speeds by the way are terrible and I have no problem downloading FLAC. 8Mb down and 0.90Mb up.

Lol those internet speeds are not terrible. Come to Australia where im getting 3mb down and paying through the roof for internet. You have to realise that many other countries have even slower internet, so internet speeds may not be a concern for you, but other parts of the world it is.

Lol those internet speeds are not terrible. Come to Australia where im getting 3mb down and paying through the roof for internet. You have to realise that many other countries have even slower internet, so internet speeds may not be a concern for you, but other parts of the world it is.

you poor bastard :( , the oz average was 18Mb last I checked.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

you poor bastard :( , the oz average was 18Mb last I checked.

that number is sooo fudged. My 3mb down is considered lucky among my friends.

http://www.netindex.com/download/2,18/Australia/

currently 13.5Mb  no fudging

I feel like the only people who know what an internet speed test is will have higher than average speed because they actually care.

I feel like the only people who know what an internet speed test is will have higher than average speed because they actually care.

Aussies keep getting told that the average is 3/4Mb. but that figure includes mobile internet which makes up more than half of all aussie internet connections. So take that from the stats and the average dsl connection speed jumps significantly.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Aussies keep getting told that the average is 3/4Mb. but that figure includes mobile internet which makes up more than half of all aussie internet connections. So take that from the stats and the average dsl connection speed jumps significantly.

You may be right about mobile internet being included in the average. However in my situation as well as alot of my friends. Our phones get faster internet than our crappy copper. However I'm sure in many places of Australia mobile internet would be alot slower than fixed line.

Well... I'm happy with my 128kbps mp3's...so are most people. Companies don't change because 2% of people want them too...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

You may be right about mobile internet being included in the average. However in my situation as well as alot of my friends. Our phones get faster internet than our crappy copper. However I'm sure in many places of Australia mobile internet would be alot slower than fixed line.

I agrees, my phone internet pulls up to 80 megabits down, averaging 60,while my home internet gets 7.5 on a good day

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Your only saying that because there is a rumor the next thread contains taco pie.

You're* Also; Get out of the time rift! You have no idea where this will take you!

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

You're* Also; Get out of the time rift! You have no idea where this will take you!

yes I do, apparently it has taken me to the land of the grammar nazi.  :P 

I have also compared the ABS data to the ookla data,  allowing for mobile connections (which are only nominally represented in the ookla data), they fit together quite well.  I'm not saying you are wrong or anything like that, I am just saying that unfortunately you seem to suffer the speeds usually only experienced in rural area's.

EDIT: I think there is something wrong with that report too, It says Australia's peak speed is only 26Mb, yet telstra in my area provide upto 30Mb and there are people reporting in with 100Mb optic connections. So I don't know why they claim what they do.

They are my highest speeds ever though. Most of the time I am around 3Mb and it goes down to below 1Mb sometimes.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

They are my highest speeds ever though. Most of the time I am around 3Mb and it goes down to below 1Mb sometimes.

Well, most of the time I get between 1.5Mb max and 0.5Mb min :(. So downloading music takes long, very long. Thats the reason why I do not listen to FLAC.

And there is the point that the average consumer not knows what FLAC is. Also Spotify doesn't use it, so mp3 will probably stick around for a while.

Note that I'm not responsible for eye damage due to poor grammar and spelling. 

Well, most of the time I get between 1.5Mb max and 0.5Mb min :(. So downloading music takes long, very long. Thats the reason why I do not listen to FLAC.

And there is the point that the average consumer not knows what FLAC is. Also Spotify doesn't use it, so mp3 will probably stick around for a while.

I still think if apple mainstream ALAC people would soon follow with selling FLAC/ALAC online alot easyer.

Because not everyone has fiber going to their house yet and they can't tell the difference between 192Kbps MP3s and Lossless codecs because both the encoders (such as LAME) are MUCH better and because modern pop music has no dynamic range left anyways.

Ohh burrrnnn!!

Mp3's wont die out to flac and the space different is huge. AAC should have replaced it long ago and for some it has especially if their using apple products.

As for how long it will take for it to die out, probably about as long as the dvd if not longer. For good examples of this sort of time frame just look at VHS, cassette tapes, and CDs. (Yes I know the cd isnt dead yet)

Ohh burrrnnn!!

To the modern pop music right?

. (Yes I know the cd isnt dead yet)

And probably won't for a little while yet, it's just the right size, best SQ and people still like owning a hard copy/having a physical collection.

And probably won't for a little while yet, it's just the right size, best SQ and people still like owning a hard copy/having a physical collection.

There are better options for physical but nothing so far has taken hold and it quite likely nothing will.

I listen to Mp3, Mp4 and FLAC. Use Winamp with EQ enabled preset to Full Bass & Treble. It'll definitely sounds better as well if you've good sound card or appliance.

Bandwith and filesize are not reasons why mp3 is still around while ogg vorbis and aac offer better quality at lower filesizes. It's just that everything that can make any sound at all seems to be able to play mp3's.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Bandwith and filesize are not reasons why mp3 is still around while ogg vorbis and aac offer better quality at lower filesizes. It's just that everything that can make any sound at all seems to be able to play mp3's.

More so that nothing makes use of anything but, both digitally and physically. 

Chicken or the egg?  Bandwidth and file size are the reason. A lot of players did not support wma until it became mainstream, the same thing will happen with the other file types, once bandwidth and file size is small enough that people will switch, that's when more players will start supporting the codec.