Are Curved Displays A Fad?

HungryHamster

Hey everyone,

I wanted to know what your thoughts are on curved displays. Do you think they are a fad that will die out and look tacky in a few years or are they here to stay? Last time I was buying a monitor, 3D was the big thing and that sure didn't seem to last long. This time around I am noticing brands adding a greater curve to their monitors. Particularly, the Acer Predator X34p will have much greater curvature compared to the X34 (1900r vs 3800r). What do you all think?

Thanks.

no they are not. there are specific sizes that make sense.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Gimmick you mean? A curved monitor is actually beneficial given the distance most sit from them.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

For game/media consumption? Definitely not a fad.

For work? Depends on what you do really.

Hm, idk about you, but I'm a human and my two eyes see a hemispherical projection of my surroundings, not a flat rectangle :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, HungryHamster said:

Hey everyone,

I wanted to know what your thoughts are on curved displays. Do you think they are a fad that will die out and look tacky in a few years or are they here to stay? Last time I was buying a monitor, 3D was the big thing and that sure didn't seem to last long. This time around I am noticing brands adding a greater curve to their monitors. Particularly, the Acer Predator X34p will have much greater curvature compared to the X34 (1900r vs 3800r). What do you all think?

Thanks.

My prediction is yes, and that it will go out of style in a few years. It is a somewhat situational feature, and depending on where the display is located and what it's used for, curvature may not be desirable. Since it is a "niche" feature by its nature, it will be very difficult for it to become the norm, companies will get tired of having to choose to alienate some customers every time (by choosing to make a display curved or not, and alienating the opposite market), or else double their product lineup by making a curved and non-curved version of everything, and it will start to die down as companies tend towards favoring the more versatile design.

Not many people have experience with curved displays. Although you'll see lots of people saying how great it is (because it is a fad, and so everyone thinks it's the greatest thing ever), a lot of people have never used one extensively and are just using their imaginations to predict whether they think it will be great or not, which means you will hear lots of "logical arguments" like things about it being natural for humans, being equidistant from the eyes, or whatever... But as always, theorycrafting is no replacement for experience. I would point out that the aspect ratio of human vision is roughly 4:3, but I don't hear the same people arguing for the return of square displays, despite them being "more natural". Turns out that doesn't mean it's better. Just the opposite in fact, wider displays seem to be better for a lot of uses.

If you want some anti-theorycrafting-theorycrafting, with a wide field of view (see triple monitors for extreme examples) the image begins to stretch at the sides. This is because games assume monitors are flat, and at wide angles they will stretch the image to compensate for lack of curvature. If you have an actual curved display, the games don't know this and will still curve the image to compensate. Thus it will just end up overcompensating and look unnatural and weird. See? I can do it too ;) you can theorycraft any direction you want.