Why do people still play on consoles?

IAEInferno

I play on PS4 when I want to play watch dogs. Rather play it locked to 30FPS than on pc going between 20 and 60fps jumping around making my eyes burn. And youtube on PS4. It's... cool. And old DVD and blyray movies too!

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Mainly for the exclusives. Games you can't get on PC or have terrible PC ports. Plus games that are meant to be played on the go, like my 3DS collection etc.

On 10/18/2016 at 3:57 AM, huilun02 said:

Consoles sell on convenience and less barriers to entry. For some, the only way to get exclusives.

The bad is that its a useless turd when you don't want to play games. You can't do work on it or learn/do anything useful. Also they try to bleed you dry with more expensive games and subscriptions. Even in available library of games they are limited by console generations, let alone the complete absence of certain genres like mmorpg and strategy. 

Yes consoles have inferior graphics but I doubt people expect otherwise for the amoubt they spent. Exclusivity is only an artificial means of making the console 'superior' and props to MS/Sony for all the downgrades and shit ports PC has been getting. 

Games on PC really aren't cheaper anymore.

Why do people still use rollerskates? Cars are much faster, bikes are more effective, and roller blades are more fun.

Answer: Because not every single person in the world is the same. PC gaming is not the best option for everybody, hence why consoles still exist and thrive.

-KuJoe

On 9/23/2016 at 5:57 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

For someone who has $300 to spend, telling them that it's cheaper in the long run really doesn't mean anything. They still don't have $1000 to blow on a powerful PC. Many people play only one or two games, so the cost of retail discs isn't a big deal for many. 

Also, not everyone is willing to become a criminal to get stuff for free. 

EDIT: As a side note, the PCMR and general "better than thou" attitude of the PC community really annoys me. Both have benefits and it really doesn't matter which one is better. 

I love you for this. I game on computer, console, and handheld, and the way I see it is gaming is gaming. No need to further divide the gaming community when common belief and Fox news do that crap for us already.

I suppose many people play console because of the exclusive titles that offer on the specific platform (either PS or Xbox) and not offer on PC. There might be more reasons such as more affordable (I am not gonna argue PC performance vs console performance etc) and less power consumptions.

I suggest unboxing some casual sense of humour before reading this.

I will now go over the reasons why comparing pc and console gaming is stupid.

*Price

While you can build a PC with whatever performance you can afford, a console-priced PC isn't a good value. Even if you (out)match Xbox One's performance with 250 euros, the result will be something you'll regret within a year. You are most certain to spend much more on a PC than you'd spend on a console, at least if you're smart.

*Accessories

You now have a 250 eur PC, great! What next? Go back to the store and get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, mousepad and depending on your choices, an HDMI cable and a headset. What's this talk about gaming chairs? Previous formula applies: The less you spend now, the more you'll spend soon after.

*Future

What will you do with those terrible parts you bought a couple of months back? Everyone else knows they're shit, and you can't possibly have a use for them, your new setup can do anything. Perhaps just put them on Ebay and wait for the next guy who is more wrapped around not wanting to buy a console than getting a reasonable PC. Go online and post some propaganda for increased chances.

But seriously, guys. There are things that only one or the other can do, let's cherish that. PCs run Excel and a console shuts down when you tell them to. No waiting for updates when you're already late or forced reboots when you're 5 seconds away from beating that two hour long boss battle.

@anthonyjc2010

People don't fit into neat boxes like that. There are plenty of PC gamers who don't know much at all about PC components. They'll just hear that PCs are better, walk into a shop and buy a pre-built system. There are also people who know all of the tech specs and all of the details but want a console for another reason. Maybe there are some exclusives they want, maybe they think it'd be a better machine to share amongst other members of the family. Maybe they want a UHD Blu-Ray player for their new UHD TV and $400AU for the XBOne S and a game is a far better deal than $600AU for a stand alone UHD Blu-Ray player!

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Everyone has their own personal preferences like many have stated already simple set up out of the box, not having to worry about bad optimization, generally relaxing i.e set up in a family room with friends etc.

For me personally while I have a gaming rig I have my Wii U and 3DS for all the Nintendo exclusives that I damn well know I'll never see on PC.  Plus a little superficial I know but particularly for my Ninty titles I like to have physical copies even if it just means its the case and the disc.

I don't have an issue with gaming on console, if the game you want is on console and it's either the only version or the better version or your RL friends are all on the console version (my use case) go for it. But I really hate it when console gamers are delusional about console games being "better". You point out that the old PC versions of the first two Arkham games run better and look for the most part better than the new remasters and you get responses "like you are crazy?". 40ish fps down to the low 20's is unacceptable IMO even before you get to downgraded textures. The Nintendo Switch fans are also doing my head in, going on about how powerful their favourite new tablet based system is going to be. They act like it's some miracle device that is more powerful than PC parts. For high performance X86 64 still trumps ARM.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

In my case, I bought a PS4 because I didn't want to spend too much time on gaming anymore, but still had the possibility to do so. It is also more suited for playing with friends, family or girlfriend in a social way. Not to mention it is cheaper. The main reason however, was that I couldn't afford a good PC like I have and can now. But now that I can afford high-end again, I sold my PS4 and sat my PC up, to be a hybrid of a console and a stationary PC. It's a lot more expensive, but now I get the best of both worlds.

For me its is Halo, So i'd fall under the Exclusives reasoning.

Also I don't have to restart my console when a game crashes, check the drivers, do a uninstall of the game, clean the disk of old files and drivers, redownload the game and install.

Consoles have my gaming friends, now try convincing 20 people they should spend $600-1000 on a new ecosystem then purchase their peripherals another $300-1000 depending on the quality of product, and then either teach them how to illegally pirate games or make them spend more money on games they already own on console.

But I also have a PC for mods and relatively less expensive games.  Current steam library of a mere 66 games for $140 in total is nice but I only have two actually current games in my library.  Sure I have a back log of old games KOTOR 1&2, AOE 2&3, Valve collection, but many are nostalgia titles or the graphics are pointless on a $2000 PC.  Granted they will work, most of the time.

Also there are plenty of people that spend a majority of their time on 1-3 games a year.  Not everyone loves MMORPGs, FPS, RTS, RPGs or JRPGs.  On console I've put 800hr into Destiny, easily over

2000hr on Halo 3 in high school, across both PC and Console 1000hr on Minecraft, for X360 I put 300hr into skyrim without every finishing the main quest and now I play it on PC for the mods bringing new life to a game I loved in College.

To each their own, its the same reason people buy new cars or olds ones, why someone drives a bmw or a honda.  They have different needs and requirements  of the equipment they use and find what fits their individual wants.

Emerald Shade: i7-4790k -  2x360rad Custom Water Cooled Loop  - MSI Krait SLI - Corsair Vengence Pro 2x8gb 2400 - OCZ RD400 512Gb - Samsung Evo 850 250Gb - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3Tb HDD - EVGA 1080 GTX FTW DT - InWin 303 - EVGA G2 850 - Win 10

I'm going to throw another two cents into the hat.

I think one of the problems I have with the PC vs Console gaming debate is that it loses sight of what's actually important, the game itself. While having better technical prowess can let you do some amazing things, does that suddenly mean older games that didn't can't hold a candle in terms of the experiences they gave, the content they provide, etc? Like for example, I still have fun with old school platformers like Mega Man 2 and Super Mario World, but I pick up an uber technical game like Crysis 3 and get bored with it after a level or less. And no, it's not nostalgia goggles because I didn't start really getting into the Mega Man classic series until well after their original system was done. Or maybe I should look at more modern games that use "old school" mechanics, like Super Mario 3D World or Mario Kart 8. Or throwbacks to older styles like Terraria and Undertale.

This is my main gripe with the debate. You can have the most technical game that PC gamers will go "nah nah nanahnah, you console scrubs can't run this", but if it's as much fun as wading through a cesspool, who cares?

Consoles are typically cheaper, they give you more freedom to sit where you wish when your using them (A surprising number of people don't know you can use controllers on PC), and you don't have to upgrade as often as you do with a PC of the same price.

That and if you grew up on console you'll probably stick with consoles because that's what you're used to.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm going to throw another two cents into the hat.

I think one of the problems I have with the PC vs Console gaming debate is that it loses sight of what's actually important, the game itself. While having better technical prowess can let you do some amazing things, does that suddenly mean older games that didn't can't hold a candle in terms of the experiences they gave, the content they provide, etc? Like for example, I still have fun with old school platformers like Mega Man 2 and Super Mario World, but I pick up an uber technical game like Crysis 3 and get bored with it after a level or less. And no, it's not nostalgia goggles because I didn't start really getting into the Mega Man classic series until well after their original system was done. Or maybe I should look at more modern games that use "old school" mechanics, like Super Mario 3D World or Mario Kart 8. Or throwbacks to older styles like Terraria and Undertale.

This is my main gripe with the debate. You can have the most technical game that PC gamers will go "nah nah nanahnah, you console scrubs can't run this", but if it's as much fun as wading through a cesspool, who cares?

I couldn't agree more.  In the end the important thing is that a gamer is having fun not how sharp the graphics are or how demanding a game is on hardware or whatever bs reason a PCMR snob can think of.

I worry about if gameplay is good and if I'm having fun because those are what matter not how demanding a game is to run.

Basically it can be boiled down even further to a single question: are you having fun?  If yes keep playing and enjoy yourself.  If no stop playing and move on to a game that you do have fun playing.  That's all there is to it.  

No need to care if anyone else is playing on a console vs a PC.  No need to act like a horrible human being and criticize others for making choices that you don't agree with and have no effect on you or reason for you to care about in the first place.    

Imo portability exclusives ease of use and small form factor are what consoles are best at. 300$ a tv and 2 wires and your good. I love my pc and while you can generally download a game and start playing right away it usually takes me about half a day to get all the settings dialed in fix any small issues and get everything the way I like it. 

On 9/23/2016 at 8:53 AM, TiberiusMoon said:

Probably because they have crappy internet and prefer to buy a disk than wait for the download.

Except this point is moot because the game still downloads even if you have the disc.

On 9/23/2016 at 8:50 AM, IAEInferno said:

Just wanted to know since there are a lot of benefits when you play on the PC.

Exclusives, fanboyism and until recently, it was plug and play. As time goes on and consoles get more pc like with the way they handle games and installs and patches, all of reasons people played console will diminish with the exception of exclusives

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

While there is a lot of benefits that come from playing games on a PC, it can give you a hard time as well.

Think about it like this, with a console you just turn it on, slap the game disc or start the downloaded file and get playing, end of story.

Not everytime, but sometimes games on PC can be finicky, you need to adjust the graphics according with your hardware performance, you have to deal with new yet unpatched titles or simply bad game ports for PC, some people just can't deal with this due to short temper, so they opt for a console.

That said, i do still have a console, a PS3, and i'm planning on buying a PS4 in the future, why? Exclusives.

Just now we are seeing some Xbox exclusives coming to PC via Windows Store, but some titles end up never coming to PC, for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, it's a easier platform to get on, you just need to buy it, it's cheap if you compare to a high-end PC.Not everybody knows how to build a computer, and prebuilt PC prices scare people right of the bat.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Not to beat a dead horse already

I have a powerful PC (see sig/profile) and game on it regularly.

I also have a 3DS for gaming while commuting or traveling. Can't game on my beefy PC with me on the bus/train or set it up when visiting the in-laws.

We also have a few consoles (mainly a Wii U and a PS3) for exclusives and convenience.

The PS3 is our only bluray player. The Wii U has Nintendo titles that will never be on PC and may not be decently emulated for years to come if ever.

There's always a reason for a console. Be it portability, exclusives, accessibility, or just the offering of experiences that can't be had on PC.

---