Why building the best computer to date sucks... in my opinion... sort of.

BEFORE I SAY ANYTHING, this post is based simply off commen knowledge and opinion, so if you don't like what I have to say, it is my opinion dumbass and you have yours. I respect your opinion as you should respect mine, I just felt like posting this... it was on my mind so yea.     

Ok dudes, this is why I think that trying to build the best to date computer with all of the perks is cool for only 5 weeks and then it's sorta cool unless you upgrade it to be the best up to date computer.

We all know that building the best computer possible to date is cool, although it does not stay to cool in my opinion. In my opinion, to have the best up to date computer, all of the components have to be somewhat top tier for the time in which you exist in... so... yea, now. 

Lets say that right now, you order all of the top tier compatible base items to put into one mega PC, and then build it. Therefore, you have the best PC that an average person can buy as of now. Keyword is AS OF NOW!

Then, lets say a new and improved graphics card comes out in like 2 months. You would HAVE to buy it to keep you PC the best to date. So, you buy it. You feel really awsome to have, again, the most powerful PC a average person on earth can have.

Fast forward around 3 weeks from then, then bam! Another thing gets released that is better than the previous item, lets say a sound card or something. So, to make your PC the absolute best of the best, you scrap the old sound card and get the new and improved one.

You should be getting the point now. The point is, is that to have the best PC to date, you need to keep updating the parts often to new and improved said parts. Now you might be saying, "So? You can just sell the parts and replace the new ones like that?". You can, but it would fail on certain conditions, and it fails hard.

Lets say a full year goes by and finally, a better PSU comes out. It is better than the one you bought a year ago, that was the best until now. When you go to sell the old PSU for a new one, then you see. 

By the time a year goes by, your PSU's price has gone down, making the price you can sell it at decrease. Plus, you have used it for a full year, making the price deplete even more. Therefore you hit a wall. You can't make all of the money needed for the new PSU, from the old one, and you will have to pay with your own money.

This applies to every component, it just depends on how long you need to wait to sell it. And plus, new electionics like that, cost a crap ton. Especially CPU's, GPU's and even the for mentioned PSU's. So you will always have to pay your own money.

Now you might be saying, "Oh, well thats fine, I could just save the money during the time periods where nothing new and better is being released, so I can for sure, keep my title at best to date PC." There are three factors to why that is wrong.

One, are you going to save ALL of your money for these things? Again, they are expensive, and you need food, and air conditioning, and multiple other life essentials. You can't just work and save all of your money for the PC, you have to pay for other things to.

Two. There is no job on earth that I know of that can pay enough money, for life essentials, gifts or payments for holidays or other things, AND for an ever upgrading PC. You would just need MEGA TONS of money, and we all know that the majority of us are not millionaires, ok? We can all dream of the day where we sit out side of our mansion on the coast of some random paridise island, sipping from our 5 star drink concoction made by the restaurant you own that is inside said mansion, but we all know that's not coming true for the majority of us any time soon.

Anyway, number three. When you have the best PC to date that the average person can own, you can't imagine how often you have to buy new stuff. At the very beginning, I said this computer had ALL of the perks. I mean EVERYTHING. You would have to be buying new components almost every week to make your computer, "the best to date", for as long as you so desire. Back to number two, none of you have or can make that kind of money, I mean come on.

Ok, I want to let you know. If you wana build the best computer to date, for like a YouTube video, or even just for personal use, I don't care. Do it, it is not my problem. All I am saying is that to TRULY have the best computer to date, you need to update it A LOT. 

I think it is just the commen misconseption that up to date is just "today". Boi, up to date means EVERY DAY. Look at it this way, lets say you upload a video about your, "best possible to date PC", on YouTube right? And lets say a person sees that  video the day it comes out. You can say to that person that your build is a "best to date" build, because it is.

Although, if a person whatches that video, lets say three to an infinite amount of months later, you are just lying. Your PC can't be said to be the "best PC to date" because other components have probably come out sence then that are better the  the components you originally had. 

OVERALL, attempting to make the true, best compatible PC with all of the perks, TO DATE, is almost impossible. I am not saying you shouldn't try, do what you want. I am just saying it is almost impossible to have the true, the best, PC to date.

Thank you.

PS: The reason why I wrote this was because it is 4:00 AM where I live and I still can't fall asleep... so yea.

1) Hardware doesnt change that fast

2) you can sell existing parts to make upgrading cheaper

3) You could build the fastest PC now, it will still keep up for a couple years

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I just don't like having an amazing PC because I don't need it. It would feel like I wasted my money. I do need to upgrade my GTX 760 though, possibly a RX 480.

Just now, Savant82 said:

I just don't like having an amazing PC because I don't need it. It would feel like I wasted my money. I do need to upgrade my GTX 760 though, possibly a RX 480.

Never understand that point of view, but maybe its because I can utilise all the power in games and editing etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

1) Maybe you are sorta right on number 1.

2) I mentioned how you would still have to pay. Sometimes a lot, so that would make selling only save you a little bit in worst case scenarios.

3) Maybe you are a little bit also right with number three.

Don't judge man, again it is 4:00 AM for me, I have gotten 0 sleep.

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

Never understand that point of view, but maybe its because I can utilise all the power in games and editing etc

Well my PC is about equivalent to yours excluding the GPU.

Just now, Savant82 said:

I am just saying if you DID want that mega PC. It is really all your decision in the end, and I have to agree, I don't really want something like that eather. At a certain point, upgrading doesent matter anymore, because it is already the best, and adding more upgrades would just make it a very little bit better. 

Just now, Savant82 said:

All I need is an i7, 16GB RAM, and a mid-range card. (like I have)

Lol, I have the same thing... I think. I have an i7 6700k skylake, and an average card. My ram might be 32GB though, but I am pretty sure I only have 16GB.

7 minutes ago, Official Potato Buissness said:

I am just saying if you DID want that mega PC. It is really all your decision in the end, and I have to agree, I don't really want something like that eather. At a certain point, upgrading doesent matter anymore, because it is already the best, and adding more upgrades would just make it a very little bit better. 

There will always be something new that will be better. Anything you own will have some kind of upgrade in the near future. So computer (parts) are not the only thing. And as said earlier, you can resell parts / your whole computer if it is not top of the line hardware anymore. The initial buy is always the most expensive, the second complete upgrade is always cheaper because of the items you carry over / sell from your initial build. 

So, yes you can have the best PC, but it will be short-lived glory. And to add, there is utterly no reason to do it.

Your average Software Engineering student.

Just now, Primefoxer said:

So, yes you can have the best PC, but it will be short-lived glory.

Thats if anyone dared to spend that much on a computer. "Daughters 6th birthday... NOPE! IMA SPEND IT ALL ON DEM NEW GRAPHICS CARDS!"

Why be that spoiled cat that always has the newest Air Jordan shoes?

Why do you need to buy the latest and greatest in the newest colors?

Why do you take the lazy bus to the mall that is 2 blocks from the friggin train station?

Why are children going the train station with bags and bags full of shit?

Why is that punk in the diesel truck spewing black smoke out of his jacked up F350 crew cab 4x4?

Why Why Why Why Why Why Why

Just now, Official Potato Buissness said:

Thats if anyone dared to spend that much on a computer. "Daughters 6th birthday... NOPE! IMA SPEND IT ALL ON DEM NEW GRAPHICS CARDS!"

Got the money? Yea, why not. Right? I know I would build a beast rig if I could afford it just for shits'n giggle.

Your average Software Engineering student.

ive just built a system with a 1080 and 6700k, the 7700k is coming and i imagine a 1080ti will be here soon if not an 1180 in 12 months. why would i HAVE to upgrade? my parts will work just as well in a year as they do now, its going to be quite some time before i cant get at least 1440p 60fps on the most demanding titles. ive got the top shit right now yeah, and i probably will again in 5 years when i plan to upgrade it again, hell it might even still be worth enough in 5 years to sell and pay for my next cpu. 

Just now, Primefoxer said:

Got the money? Yea, why not. Right? I know I would build a beast rig if I could afford it just for shits'n giggle.

Same here. If I had the money.

30 minutes ago, Primefoxer said:

So, yes you can have the best PC, but it will be short-lived glory. And to add, there is utterly no reason to do it.

Usually, the best reason to do stuff is "because I want to" / "Because it will be fun"

You don't need it, but if you can afford it, and you like the idea of having an overpowered computer, why not, life is too short to not enjoy yourself sometimes.

(And you don't need to go all the way and buy 2 Titan XPs, you can want be more reasonnable and still enjoy it too)

I would agree with people saying it will be outclassed quickly, but if you don't focus on always having the best of everything, i would'nt say it's stupid

6 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

ive just built a system with a 1080 and 6700k, the 7700k is coming and i imagine a 1080ti will be here soon if not an 1180 in 12 months. why would i HAVE to upgrade? my parts will work just as well in a year as they do now, its going to be quite some time before i cant get at least 1440p 60fps on the most demanding titles. ive got the top shit right now yeah, and i probably will again in 5 years when i plan to upgrade it again, hell it might even still be worth enough in 5 years to sell and pay for my next cpu. 

PC's only sometimes last 5 years, do you wana bet on that? And to pay for your next CPU... maaaaybe, if it lives in the first place, and if said CPU is not $1,000. It is a pretty cool rig though.

I guess the best thing to do really is wait for the new and improved model of whatever your buying to come out, so then hopefully whatever you were wanting originally drops in price a little. Also, avoid buying the new thing within a week of its release. Good rule of tumb (I say as my two GTX titans whurr on, constantly reminding me of how much money i wasted on them...)

12 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

For people like most of us here on this forum having a workload(both professional and for entertainment) that benefits from being on the bleeding edge hardware-wise makes sense. The large majority of consumers though are probably best off going for the top price/performance card at the time as even longterm that's cheaper for them.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I'm gonna be honest.  I agree with this guy.  I used to think building the best PC was cool and all, I was a huge noob then, I'm not saying people who like the biggest and best PCs are noobs, but I'm saying that it's one of those things that you grow out of and just doesn't interest me anymore.

I used to want the highest end card and the highest end cpu! Now I just don't care, I care about server hardware and software.  I think it really comes down to what you want to do with your life too.  As soon as I got into the professional IT world and met people on LinkedIn and started managing servers, getting Cisco Certified and now studying computer science I don't care about common PC hardware anymore because it doesn't mean anything to me. 

It's not about needing to upgrade, I would totally buy my Own IBM Z Mainframe if I could which would cost much more than a gaming PC just to have fun with it and start my own enterprise data network for curiosities sake.  I think in the end, what ever keeps you curious and keeps you exited is the best way to go.

If you enjoy PC hardware and that's your thing.  Follow it up, go into server hardware, or electronic engineering and see what you can do with that.  Keep curious and keep interesting!

I went from a 4.4 Ghz I7 920 to a 6850k ... That also only OCs to 4.4 Ghz.

Wow Intel, 6 generations, and die shrinkage from 32 nm to 14 nm, and still the same clocks?

Much improvement! Not :(

Well at least I have sata 3, but its accompanied with much buyers remorse because the I7 980 was still overkill.

Linus is my fetish.

Wait until you have kids then you'll really lose interest; mainly because you'll have no time or money left.

When it happened to me I found that I refocused my efforts over time onto the home networking backbone; including routers, switches and servers in order to be able to store and distribute media. Next was the TV and associated paraphernalia; HTPC 4K, speakers, amp, games consoles (start them young before they know how to type).

My home office dissolved into a simple server room because there was no time to spend in there... Now any work/gaming is done on laptops which can be docked to provide a more conventional desktop environment.

In the future I speculate that the emphasis will once again shift back to static PCs, once the kids are into MMOs that is.

In essence kids make one see time/money investments very pragmatically.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I've recently spent (and spending) around £500 upgrading my current pc not because I want it to be the best it possibly can be but more for the reason that I'm hoping (important word there) that I won't have to spend another penny on it (unless anything breaks) for a good 2 years or so

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

At any given price point components progress at different rates. Currently:

- CPUs are gaining around 10% performance a year.

- GPUs are gaining about 40% a year.

- SSDs are doubling capacity every 2 years and performance depends on the interface

- Memory capacity doubles about every 6 years and bandwidth doubles on a similar period.

So the ideal point to upgrade any single part of a computer is dependent on the component and the progress being made. You don't have to keep buying the latest and greatest, you wait until there is a worthwhile upgrade available for a part or something fails. Over the long term its considerably cheaper to ride the wave of mid range parts and upgrade on 2x performance (a really noticeable amount). No one should be just upgrading everything the moment something slightly faster comes out, the 980 ti to 1080 upgrade for example makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Wait until you have kids then you'll really lose interest; mainly because you'll have no time or money left.

See now theres one major advantage to homosexuality. 

Linus is my fetish.