host own server

yesman
2 hours ago, KuJoe said:

It doesn't. What kind of SLA will you offer? What will you do if your internet goes out for 12 hours? What about if your power goes out for 12 hours? What happens if somebody breaks into your house and takes your server and client's data? What is your monthly budget for this business? There are plenty of options for you out there to rent a server or VPS in a data center with DDOS protection that offers much better redundancy (both hardware, power, and network) and security.

ill be fine with all that and where i live i should be good

2 minutes ago, yesman said:

i can get 1gb conectin in uk and that for big companys has

but does that allow you to host (BIG deal if you intend to have monetary profit) and does that include any ddos / other attack protections?

I am really sorry, but so far I have not seen anything that would suggest that you have a well put together business plan other than

"I have a server, I want to host something at home and make sweet sweet money" 

But I have not seen that you have taken or thought about the advice you have gotten here from some of us.

There is a reason ISPs charge extra money for business lines, there are other things than just the speed behind it and there is a reason why hosting is not basicly free, there are a lot of costs associated with it and keep a service online at all times.

Have you thought about the change management process and how you will do that to comply with ITIL etc?

99.8% up time is hard, most hosting companies promise 99.9%, some even 99.999%

6 minutes ago, InVis said:

I am really sorry, but so far I have not seen anything that would suggest that you have a well put together business plan other than

"I have a server, I want to host something at home and make sweet sweet money" 

But I have not seen that you have taken or thought about the advice you have gotten here from some of us.

There is a reason ISPs charge extra money for business lines, there are other things than just the speed behind it and there is a reason why hosting is not basicly free, there are a lot of costs associated with it and keep a service online at all times.

Have you thought about the change management process and how you will do that to comply with ITIL etc?

99.8% up time is hard, most hosting companies promise 99.9%, some even 99.999%

right now am not doing anything so i thought i set up a game server and make abit off money internet connection is fine iv got a  business class  Hyperoptic fibre broadband i have if that help and power should be good my house is fitted with solar panels

It still does not seem like you are listening to advice, so I'm done offering :) 

Good luck with your project :)

5 hours ago, SLAYR said:

?

You can host game servers on home internet connections.

The only issue is that home internet connections are awful and would cause bad fps in some games and lag.

Comcast completely disagrees with you. If your caught doing this on a Comcast residential connection then you will have your service terminated, PERIOD. Hell I even think they have the same policy on business class, unless you pay for something like Metro Ethernet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Comcast completely disagrees with you. If your caught doing this on a Comcast residential connection then you will have your service terminated, PERIOD. Hell I even think they have the same policy on business class, unless you pay for something like Metro Ethernet. 

it fine in the uk and this thats just usa

Getting your own server hosting Co. off the ground is a huuugggge pain in the butt. I worked with a friend who started mcprohosting, probably the biggest Minecraft server hosting company out there today. He was only able to do it because he had family who owned a local ISP, and even then we were losing money by the fistful for the first few months. I actually got out of it because it was too stressful for me.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

9 hours ago, Lurick said:

If you're willing to shell out the big bucks for a business class ISP line then yes, otherwise no as almost all ISPs forbid the hosting of servers on home lines.

Depends where he's located - in the UK a lot of the broadband providers will give you a static IP for a small premium (I'm with Plusnet and paid for a Static so I can host my own web server / email server ect one point was running a minecraft server but those days are long gone :(

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

Oh you're in the UK? Then you have a whole slew of other issues regarding this without even going into the technical side of things. Contact a lawyer if you're not currently up-to-date on the consumer protection and privacy laws there because there are A LOT and consumers in the UK have more protection than you do as a business (and if you try selling your services without registering as a business then that puts you and your families finances on the line which can go horribly wrong if you make a mistake). Once you start collecting money from people for products/services you better be ready to deal with any disputes or legal issues that arise and they will happen at some point and usually at the beginning when you're learning and making mistakes (we all did, I had 2 failed businesses before starting my most recent one 6 years ago).

-KuJoe