Apple investing in augmented reality (HoloLens competitor?! 3DS AR imitation?!)

GoodBytes

"AR can be huge", says Tim Cook during its annual report. The company is announcing that it is investing in augmented reality (AR).

Now we don't know if it is augmented reality HoloLens style, where you wear a helmet of sorts and it augments your view, or just graphics showing in 3D like space from your phone camera content, like the 3DS mini-games that comes with the system.

3ds__ar_cards_by_ganton3-d3cmyc7.jpg

We don't know what Apple has in mind, or if it is just general research, for now.

The company CEO says:

It also does show that AR can be really great. We have been and continue to invest a lot in this. We are high on AR for the long run, we think there’s great things for customers and a great commercial opportunity. The number one thing is to make sure out products work well with other developer’s kind of products like Pokemon, that’s why you see so many iPhones in the wild chasing [Pokemons].

Tim Cooks says Poke-man, instead of Pokemon. Clearly, we can see his knowledge on gaming.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/26/12290920/apple-augmented-reality-ar-tim-cook

pokemon go is just a fad

that you have to participate in order to stay relevant, grandpa

vr > ar imho

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I can see the product page now.

Doesn't mention: Less battery life than hololens and smaller feature set, Overheats and burns your head, only compatible with IPhone, goes for $1400

Mentions: "A truly unrivaled AR experience. It's really good we promise seriously" -IGN

*Shows picture of Apple logo*

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

so.. my first thought was dude hopping on stage and being like "look what we invented" :P

but honestly i'm curious what apple is gonna come up with.

8 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I can see the product page now.

Doesn't mention: Less battery life than hololens and smaller feature set, Overheats and burns your head, only compatible with IPhone, goes for $1400

Mentions: "A truly unrivaled AR experience. It's really good we promise seriously" -IGN

*Shows picture of Apple logo*

apple_iwater-full.jpg

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

It's time for Apple to join the party. What do you prefer, Augmented Reality or Virtual Reality and why?

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

apple_iwater-full.jpg

Thank you for this.

2 minutes ago, VAkena said:

It's time for Apple to join the party. What do you prefer, Augmented Reality or Virtual Reality and why?

Haven't tried either :(

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Haven't tried either :(

What looks promising to you? Rather, what would you like to have if you could have 1? Judging from the demos that have been released

Just now, VAkena said:

What looks promising to you? Rather, what would you like to have if you could have 1? Judging from the demos that have been released

I am more excited for AR in the long run, I feel like depending on people handle it, VR may end up as more of a fad (though I really hope it doesn't!). Right now, however, it doesn't seem like there's a ton *there* for AR, VR got a head start and seems more developed. I would take a Vive (though I'd need a new GPU for it) over anything involving AR right now. But I think that will change as AR is applied to more stuff, and probably, hopefully, will get more affordable faster as well.

Honestly, the 3ds' augmented reality features are kinda crap.  Sure it looks very cool and futuristic at first, but after a few minutes of playing with it, you realize that it's pretty boring.  I've used the hololens at a Microsoft event at my college before and honestly, it works well.  AR works for the hololens since it's primary focus is AR, it's not a tacked on feature.  (Though I personally wasn't a fan of hololens games necessarly, but I really see it as the perfect tool for 3d modelling since unlike most monitors, you can actually see depth with it).  

12 hours ago, VAkena said:

They have different use cases imo. VR should be sitting applications for like vehicle simulators whereas i think AR is going to take the battelfield type route where you go out in a massive field and play laser tag or drone combat etc. No one want's to lug around a big backpack with a pc on it, on top of that it becomes extremely dangers not being able to see your real life surroundings. 

Obviously this will change in the future when we have pc's the size of our hand with performance of a 1080 and all day battery with 10gbp wifi everywhere but that is years away. 

12 hours ago, Spork829 said:

I am more excited for AR in the long run, I feel like depending on people handle it, VR may end up as more of a fad (though I really hope it doesn't!). Right now, however, it doesn't seem like there's a ton *there* for AR, VR got a head start and seems more developed. I would take a Vive (though I'd need a new GPU for it) over anything involving AR right now. But I think that will change as AR is applied to more stuff, and probably, hopefully, will get more affordable faster as well.

The problem with that argument is that VR and AR can even compete. AR is an experience that has entertainment uses but can do so much more. In many ways it can improve on daily activity(basically much like what Google was hoping Glass would do). At the same time it will likely never have the kind of image quality and immersion that VR has. VR is for when you want to completely isolate yourself and enter a new world; be it gaming, media consumption or anything else. Essentially VR is the equivalent of a television/computer/etc. where AR is the equivalent of a smartphone. Both have their uses and they only share some very basic systems.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 hours ago, Centurius said:

The problem with that argument is that VR and AR can even compete. AR is an experience that has entertainment uses but can do so much more. In many ways it can improve on daily activity(basically much like what Google was hoping Glass would do). At the same time it will likely never have the kind of image quality and immersion that VR has. VR is for when you want to completely isolate yourself and enter a new world; be it gaming, media consumption or anything else. Essentially VR is the equivalent of a television/computer/etc. where AR is the equivalent of a smartphone. Both have their uses and they only share some very basic systems.

That doesn't take away from me being more excited about AR in the future, but just saying that since there's not much there, VR looks cooler right now. Though I agree they are different sectors of tech entirely and hard to compare.

And they're going to run it on what, an arm dual core and 1gb of ram? One thing is pokemon, another is hololens. I can't see this resultning in anything more than gimmicky games. To be clear, I know the attractive of pokemon go is going around, but that's exactly my point - AR is just a cool gimmick, the game would function equally without it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd be really interested to see what Apple come up with. They've been an incredibly innovative tech company for the last 30 years (albeit there have been some less innovative years). 

Don't care much for apple products usually and yes one could make and easy joke but 
I do like the concept of AR so if more companies like to invest in this technology I am fine with it 
looking forward what they come up with.