Apple prepping thinner MacBook Pros with OLED screen above keyboard, Touch ID for Q4

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Same thing. Also fingerprint scanner is cool.

Its not the same thing  at all!

An Iris scanner, you put your eye up to a lens and it scans the pattern of your eyeball a bit like a finger print

Facial scanning looks at the shape of your face, position of your eyes, nose and mouth and determines if its you

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Those hoping for dGPU in a small Macbook, considering my Asus U38N has problems with managing its 19W A8 4555M (which isn't helped by AMD's utter lack of thermal protection-it runs at its turbo speed even when it is nearing 110oC-measured manually+through the GPU sensor (CPU sensor measures 95-120oC at all times), unlike my Phenom II based laptop) that won't be happening for a very, very long time.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, bear-in-the-air said:

Stop making me want a new phone sooner, I can't afford it :/. I am going to have to get something this year though, the old galaxy isn't cutting it any more.

my contract expires in September, so its either iPhone 7 or a top end android phone

if the OPO3 is cheap, and good, I will get the iPhone 7 and buy a one plus 3 or cheap xiaomi phone as my android runner

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

SNIP

There are plenty of slim machines with dGPUs, razer blade, GS40 Phantom, etc that manage just fine with a 13" size and dGPU

and if apple used a 1060m or 1050m it would not have anywhere near the heat of a 970

and the 15" models have always had dGPU

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

There are plenty of slim machines with dGPUs, razer blade, GS40 Phantom, etc that manage just fine with a 13" size and dGPU

and if apple used a 1060m or 1050m it would not have anywhere near the heat of a 970

and the 15" models have always had dGPU

Note how thick those are in comparison to Apple's Macbook and Air-which already have thermal issues with their low power Core M and i3-i7. I'll also note that my U38N actually has a similar cooling setup to the Blade-however it draws air in from the center of the laptop's rear, and exhausts it on both sides of the intake through 2 desperate heatsinks.

PMSL

17 minutes ago, M4st4M1nd said:

Amazing? No. The finger print sensors are still just as insecure and pointless as they always were. Its true that Apple managed to bring it back to the mainstream. But tbh I really hope it dies out and fast.

Actually they won't die out. Every flagship phone has a fingerprint sensor now and it'll eventually trickle down to mid tiers in the near future.

It's not only faster but a lot more convenient than ever before to unlock a passcode protected device. And honestly they really aren't insecure unless you go extreme lengths to spoof it which btw gets harder with every generation (I have yet to see a video where they trick the 2nd gen touch ID on the 6S). Biometrics is pretty much going to take over starting with fingerprint sensor. You should use the one found on 6S to see how much better it is than the one found on your laptop

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Note how thick those are in comparison to Apple's Macbook and Air-which already have thermal issues with their low power Core M and i3-i7. I'll also note that my U38N actually has a similar cooling setup to the Blade-however it draws air in from the center of the laptop's rear, and exhausts it on both sides of the intake through 2 desperate heatsinks.

MACBOOK PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

MACBOOK PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough, but those aren't small form factor Macbooks, which were the ones I was talking about. Read my first post on this topic again.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Fair enough, but those aren't small form factor Macbooks, which were the ones I was talking about. Read my first post on this topic again.

I was not referring to that though, and the pros are still thin compared to other ultrabooks and laptops

the topic is about new macbook pros so thats why I was talking about wanting a good GPU in the 15" (and in my dreams the 13")

1 hour ago, Nineshadow said:

But why an OLED screen in place of function keys?

Yeah I don't believe this. Sounds very un-Apple.

i stop caring about macbook when they started removing the superdrive

started doing: soldering iron + solder + ram + mmotherboard cause paying 200$ at apple for ram is much better than the 60$ ram sodimm ram clocked at the same exact frequency, using the same exact ddr3 technology

then threw in special pcie storage format that cost more than standards pcie storage formats for no apparently good reason and are also impossible to find in the after market place

then replaced the bottom lid screws from standard Philips one to pentaloble ones cause reasons i can't understand

When my macbook will die, i'll really miss OSX that's for sure

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Ze_Mako said:

Knowing Apple they'll end up throwing in 900 series cards or go with AMD again if they were going to upgrade the GPUs.

Also, their 13" models never had dedicated graphics cards so I don't seem them starting that now, sadly. 

Incorrect. In the past it was very common to see dedicated graphics in the 13' pros with the last ones to have them being the 2010 Pro.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

3 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

But why an OLED screen in place of function keys?

1 hour ago, LukeTim said:

Yeah I don't believe this. Sounds very un-Apple.

Could be used for various things especially with third party integration. Also it would be cool if the laptop showed some information on the oled screen like updating, news, battery etc while the laptop is turned off. So much of potential. If it's done right it's probably going to be industry standard next year

15 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Incorrect. In the past it was very common to see dedicated graphics in the 13' pros with the last ones to have them being the 2010 Pro.

Hardly. It used shared memory. 

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

5 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Could be used for various things especially with third party integration. Also it would be cool if the laptop showed some information on the oled screen like updating, news, battery etc while the laptop is turned off. So much of potential. If it's done right it's probably going to be industry standard next year

Whilst its turned off? Presumably with the lid closed?

No. This is not something Apple would do. Maybe they'll do something totally left field that right now I cannot even conceive of... but I can't think of any reason they would do it. Can't think of anything it would bring to the experience.

7 minutes ago, LukeTim said:

Whilst its turned off? Presumably with the lid closed?

No. This is not something Apple would do. Maybe they'll do something totally left field that right now I cannot even conceive of... but I can't think of any reason they would do it. Can't think of anything it would bring to the experience.

See it's one of those things where the idea might sound stupid but proves to be extremely useful. One scenario I could think of that would be really useful is updating software. Maybe they might do something different but I believe one of the reasons they opted for OLED is for this functionality. But then again maybe I'm wrong

2 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

See it's one of those things where the idea might sound stupid but proves to be extremely useful. One scenario I could think of that would be really useful is updating software. Maybe they might do something different but I believe one of the reasons they opted for OLED is for this functionality. But then again maybe I'm wrong

Not just that it sounds stupid. It sounds tacky as hell. Not Apple's style at all.

Apple doesn't like to complicate its interfaces.

Lenovo already tried the OLED strip (or similar at least) and it sucked. I'd rather see an actual OLED display, which was what I hoped when I skimmed the title initially. 

21 minutes ago, Ze_Mako said:

Hardly. It used shared memory. 

Then look just a year earlier where it used its own dedicated memory.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

3 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Then look just a year earlier where it used its own dedicated memory.

The models with the 9400m? That used shared memory as well.

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

1 minute ago, Ze_Mako said:

The models with the 9400m? That used shared memory as well.

Reading is hard. This still counts in my opinion with ddr3 not being much slower than GDDR3 and with it still being MUCH faster than integrated at the time.

23 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Lenovo already tried the OLED strip (or similar at least) and it sucked. I'd rather see an actual OLED display, which was what I hoped when I skimmed the title initially. 

Would love to see an OLED screen from Apple. With properly calibrated colour instead of oversaturated shite.

8 minutes ago, LukeTim said:

Would love to see an OLED screen from Apple. With properly calibrated colour instead of oversaturated shite.

OLED can easily pull that off. Samsung devices have sRGB profiles (if that's what you refer to as being poor). It's all about picking a color space and calibrating against the spec. That way you get very accurate displays. 

Bruh, if they make it thinner, how u gon fit things like cooler (I know apple kind of uses the case for cooling and the new mac doesn't have cooling), battery, and ports. I don't think apple should continue making things smaller. That technology will come later. Improve your products. Like, the mac air 13" is still small enough. Instead of thinking "how should I make it smaller", Think "how should I make it better". Smaller is not always better in my opinion. Srs, you can't even have imovie, skype and ~20 tabs open on chrome (Mac Air 13"). Temps will reach 80-90C and it will be pretty damn loud. Maybe you can squeeze in a better processor, or graphics, or ram in the space you have.

Update -> I personally want performance > size. I really like apple's operating systems and stuff, but please don't compromise performance / usability to make things smaller. 

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

OLED can easily pull that off. Samsung devices have sRGB profiles (if that's what you refer to as being poor). It's all about picking a color space and calibrating against the spec. That way you get very accurate displays. 

Something about the colour on OLEDs I have seen so far looks very unnatural... Can't put my finger on it really.