Netflix Releases Fast.com Proves Comcast Throttles

Nextflix Fast.com  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Are you being throttled by your ISP?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is your ISP?

• Comcast
    • Verizon
    • Time Warner Cable
    • Charter
    • Other

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

this is mostly true for copper based systems due to loss of signal integrity during transitional up-amp of signal. as the signal does get slightly distorted and thus interpretation of destination and content takes longer.

No, it is true for all types of mediums (when TCP is used). The formula I am talking about is just as true for ADSL as it is fiber or satellite. It has nothing to do with the processing needed for error correction. It is based on the fact that your computer has to acknowledge receiving the frame. 

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

Distance based speed loss is not so much a factor for fiberoptics. However the main reason for loss of speed over distance is that the ISPs own different subsea cables. and depending on your ISP, you may get throttled at the final destination.

I had this issue with servers in germany. Some danish ISP holder wasnt too happy with my ISP for a while, so the signal which goes through subsea cables were throttled as the signal was down-prioritized on its way to germany and back.

Some months later, the ISPs stopped bitching at eachother, resulting in speed and latency returning to old values.

I do not know WHO owns or have the control over the subsea cables, but i do know that dutch ISPs got on the wrong side of murican ISPs during the original TBP trails/hunt and that they got throttled by US ISPs. But i thought this was no longer the case.

That might very well have happened, but the fact of the matter is that even without any throttling, your data throughput will be lower when having it processed over many, many network units (if you use TCP, which this does).

If this only has a server in the US then you CAN NOT use this to determine if you are being throttled or not. You will get lower speeds connecting to the US from for example Sweden regardless of your ISP throttling you or not. 

Office ISP is Time warner cable. Ookla consistently gets 350mbps. Fast.com gets 290~300 and once test gave me 120mbps and another having 260.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Comcast for a fact throttles no matter how much they deny it. I can watch videos on Xfinity TV w/o any buffer but the moment I switched to YT or Netflix = buffer and low quality. I had the 100 mbs high speed plan.

Even better - I told them I was canceling service and that May would be the last month and my internet just up and went to shit. MONTHS of zero issues and the day after I call to cancel both my 2.4/5ghz wifi signals are dropping in and out and even my hard wire connection from my computer is capping at 30 mbps....I called and they tell me everything is fine on there end.

DOWN WITH CUNTCAST!!

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

5.77 on Speedtest

6.0 on Fast.com

But I really don't care because we only pay $5 a month for our internet :P

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

>Pays ridiculous price for unlimited data @25 down and 2.5 up.

>gets 10 down and 2.5 up.

Fast.com and speedtest show the same result; that my internet is shit.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

8 hours ago, Maslofski said:

Spain, Vodafone. i guess you don't need more  throughput than this to run anything

fast.com:                  46         Mbps

Speedtest.net:      122.08    Mbps

That's odd, I'm using vodafone as well in Spain, Valencia. Paying for 50, 52.4 on speedtest and 53 on fast. O.o

2 hours ago, GeekJump said:

Comcast for a fact throttles no matter how much they deny it. I can watch videos on Xfinity TV w/o any buffer but the moment I switched to YT or Netflix = buffer and low quality. I had the 100 mbs high speed plan.

About two years ago when Comcast and Netflix were in court I had this issue. Was watching a show on Netflix and it just kept buffering. Switched over to the same show on Xfinity and it loaded right away and streamed in HD. Back to Netflix and it throttled. Opened Speed Test. Told me that My speeds were fine. So yeah, Comcast is doing for internet what Volkswagon did with cars. "Is this a test? OK lets lie."

21 Mbps on SpeedTest

21 Mbps on Fast.

No throttling with Teksavvy (Cable, Videotron's Network) up here in Canada/Quebec.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, Artificial Ignorance said:

About two years ago when Comcast and Netflix were in court I had this issue. Was watching a show on Netflix and it just kept buffering. Switched over to the same show on Xfinity and it loaded right away and streamed in HD. Back to Netflix and it throttled. Opened Speed Test. Told me that My speeds were fine. So yeah, Comcast is doing for internet what Volkswagon did with cars. "Is this a test? OK lets lie."

And for some strange reason when you use Comcast's own speed test on their site the results match what your plan is. But when you use 3rd party sites their results are similar to each other but are lower than comcast's...

again...strange.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

6 hours ago, yorkiesandskittles said:

5.77 on Speedtest

6.0 on Fast.com

But I really don't care because we only pay $5 a month for our internet :P

I pay $25 (equivalent) for 5mbps down.

Fight me :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

That's odd, I'm using vodafone as well in Spain, Valencia. Paying for 50, 52.4 on speedtest and 53 on fast. O.o

my guess is that vodafone caps it at around 50 Mbps then, since that's enough to not worry about loading speeds and it preserves their bandwidth

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Funny when site launched I was getting throttled 50 percent by Comcast now I am not. I guess Comcast was like aw man Netflix you had to show that we where cheating our customers and had to stop cheating before FCC got them in trouble especially because tom wheeler is Comcast customer.

3 hours ago, GeekJump said:

And for some strange reason when you use Comcast's own speed test on their site the results match what your plan is. But when you use 3rd party sites their results are similar to each other but are lower than comcast's...

again...strange.

You actually should expect to see a small drop because you have to leave their network to get to the other speedtest whereas the one on their own site is within their network. So if your traffic is routed through a slower Autonomous System (aka, another network) then you're speed will drop. The actual loss SHOULD be minimal 99.9% of the time and if it's much lower consistently then you're being throttled.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

LOL I have a 70mbps plan with Comcast and even with their own speed test to the closest 'in-network' node I only get 1/3 of what I pay for. 

It's their peering agreements that do the throttling. Even if you have a huge pipe to Comcast, doesn't mean Comcast has a huge pipe to the rest of the internet. There needs to be more truth in advertising.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

No throttling with Rogers in Canada.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

57 on Fast and 57.09 on Speedtest (Bright House, which is technically Time Warner I forgot Charter bought out Bright House and Time Warner, so Charter technically). So, no throttling for me.

Its funny because I'm only supposed to be getting 35...

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

6.4 mbps...... fast.com

8.0 mbps...... speedtest.net

what we pay for: 10mbps.....

:P damn overpopulation on old old lines........

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Fast: 47Mbps

Speedtest: 78Mbps

I doubt I'm being throttled since I'm using a VPN. So probably a poor connection to Netflix servers.

I'm on AT&T U-Verse, business line.

*Edit, just retested without my VPN on.

Fast: 75Mbps

Speedtest: 80Mbps

So either something is throttling VPN connections or the path I'm being taken through with my VPN is poor to Netflix.

I use PIA and I have great speeds when downloading from Steam/Origin/etc. so my VPN provider isn't crap lol.

I have no idea exactly how fast my internet speeds are, but I'm getting like 8.5 Mbps down, probably because I have someone playing online and someone watching Netflix. Something I find kinda funny is that my upload is almost 10 times as much as my download, being steady at 70 Mbps. The magic of massive internet speeds is real.

The smartest idiot you will ever find

I got slightly over 60 on Fast, slightly under 60 on Speedtest. I'm paying for 50, so no complaints.

On 5/20/2016 at 5:30 PM, Lurick said:

You actually should expect to see a small drop because you have to leave their network to get to the other speedtest whereas the one on their own site is within their network. So if your traffic is routed through a slower Autonomous System (aka, another network) then you're speed will drop. The actual loss SHOULD be minimal 99.9% of the time and if it's much lower consistently then you're being throttled.

I take that into account. If I see a 5-10 Mbps difference I wouldn't bother but sometimes I see 20-30 Mbps differences between Comcast's site and 3rd parties (all of which are consistent with each other more or less).

19 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

I take that into account. If I see a 5-10 Mbps difference I wouldn't bother but sometimes I see 20-30 Mbps differences between Comcast's site and 3rd parties (all of which are consistent with each other more or less).

Yah, that's where you start to suspect Comcast is throttling you or something is messed up along the way like a bad cable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 MB/s on both speedtest and fast.com. Just guessing the newtork is congested , considering i usually get around 30. At least i get no throttling...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case