How would you prefer to use VR Headsets?

Moonzy

VR Use  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Standing or Sitting?

• Standing
    • Sitting
    • Half-squat because reasons

so ive been watching some youtube videos for VR (the HTC Vive) and it seems to me that walking around in VR isnt that practical tbh

1) it makes you sweaty and you know what happens to the vive when it gets in contact with sweat for a long period of time? `-`

2) cables might get tugged or trip you or something else, cables are evil

3) not very safe tbh, you can get dizzy and lose your balance

If i were to buy one (and i will, if its a huge success), i would probably use it while sitting in my chair and game with my keyboard+mouse/console controller/Vive controller, depending on which is better for the game

what do you guys think? how would you use your VR headset

honestly i wont be sold on VR until NerveGear comes out `-` #NerveGearOrGoHome

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

VR headset + Virtuix Omni = nuff said

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

2 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

VR headset + Virtuix Omni = nuff said

for short games for like 10~20 minutes, sure

but for people like me who game for 10~15 hours a day when i get hooked, not really practical

I will probably "retire" my monitor when i get a set of VR goggles. (Cant remember the name of it but theres an app on steam that will turn your desktop VR friendly)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

for short games for like 10~20 minutes, sure

but for people like me who game for 10~15 hours a day when i get hooked, not really practical

Obviously if you game that long isn't not viable but I am sensing this is gonna be a booming industry and most likely going to get integrated with cardiovascular training. 

On a side note, plays a game for 10-15hrs, are you a streamer? 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

i wouldn't mind getting the omni either, but it will be ridiculous to ship here. I have so much crap in my house i will probably be sitting down and playing because i have heard people say hanging the cord from the ceiling is not an option, idk why but until mine arrives i wont know for sure. all i need is for some of my fool friends tripping over the cord and wrecking my headset and pc, im sure there will be some instances like with what happened with the wii and its controller. as for now the rift will have to be my choice 

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

4 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

On a side note, plays a game for 10-15hrs, are you a streamer?

nah, just a casual gamer :3

i tend to play a game i like for over 10 hours a day everyday if its the holidays lol

but its hard to get me hooked on a game so i guess im safe `-`

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

so ive been watching some youtube videos for VR (the HTC Vive) and it seems to me that walking around in VR isnt that practical tbh

1) it makes you sweaty and you know what happens to the vive when it gets in contact with sweat for a long period of time? `-`

2) cables might get tugged or trip you or something else, cables are evil

3) not very safe tbh, you can get dizzy and lose your balance

If i were to buy one (and i will, if its a huge success), i would probably use it while sitting in my chair and game with my keyboard+mouse/console controller/Vive controller, depending on which is better for the game

what do you guys think? how would you use your VR headset

honestly i wont be sold on VR until NerveGear comes out `-` #NerveGearOrGoHome

Yes precisely! The Vive was the more innovative of the two, but it's practicality just isn't there. As far as the oculus goes it's a cool idea to put on for maybe a few hours for like a horror game or a really beautiful immersive one. If you are just looking for the head tracking immersion feel they already have something for that http://www.trackhat.org/

Honestly if the oculus where like $150 bucks and not $600. That price for that experience would make it successful on the dot.

That price is really unreasonable but we can all dream can't we?

And yeah VR won't gonna be shit til Nerve Gear #NerveGearOrGoHome

VR will be good for games don't get me wrong, but i feel like its gonna end up being more for watching videos and stuff if yeh know what i mean 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 minute ago, PeloyGeek said:

VR will be good for games don't get me wrong, but i feel like its gonna end up being more for watching videos and stuff if yeh know what i mean 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

not a great idea, you wont be able to tell who is watching you

unless you're into that sort of things `-` stay away pls

I don't know if you would really sweat if you're walking around with a VR headset. If you do, you can just put rags or something to create space between your head and the bands.

I'd feel so much better walking around with it. That way, you get a small bit of exercise at the same time as you're entertained.

Just now, theninja35 said:

I don't know if you would really sweat if you're walking around with a VR headset. If you do, you can just put rags or something to create space between your head and the bands.

I'd feel so much better walking around with it. That way, you get a small bit of exercise at the same time as you're entertained.

trust me, you do lol

every review ive seen complained about sweat, and the rag might make it uncomfortable

they should've just made it removable and washable

well good point for exercise, but i would still spend most of my VR times on the chair i reckon lol

15 minutes ago, PeloyGeek said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hm they got you covered. Obvious can't show sitename

Spoiler

s.PNG

Ontopic:

And most likely sitting. Suppose when you stand you'd get tired or bump into things walking around with vr gear on.

Unless you're lucky enough to have a dedicated, empty, VR room in your house, I'd imagine most of us will have to use it sitting down. And really before walking around with a VR headset becomes popular, the headsets will have to go wireless. I think we'd also need omni-directional treadmills too for many games.

While the augmented reality 'being able to move around without bumping into things' functionality of the Vive has it's uses, I think most VR gaming is going to be done sitting down.

46 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

not a great idea, you wont be able to tell who is watching you

unless you're into that sort of things `-` stay away pls

You can always lock the door, or some people also live alone :P ,not necessarily have to get caught. 

17 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Unless you're lucky enough to have a dedicated, empty, VR room in your house, I'd imagine most of us will have to use it sitting down. And really before walking around with a VR headset becomes popular, the headsets will have to go wireless. I think we'd also need omni-directional treadmills too for many games.

While the augmented reality 'being able to move around without bumping into things' functionality of the Vive has it's uses, I think most VR gaming is going to be done sitting down.

http://www.virtuix.com/

35 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

trust me, you do lol

every review ive seen complained about sweat, and the rag might make it uncomfortable

they should've just made it removable and washable

well good point for exercise, but i would still spend most of my VR times on the chair i reckon lol

What about a wet cloth on your forehead when you get hot? Or have the VR headset spray you with some mist, similar to what they do in amusement parks on hot days (but at a smaller scale, of course).

theme-park-misting-fans.jpg

1 minute ago, theninja35 said:

What about a wet cloth on your forehead when you get hot? Or have the VR headset spray you with some mist, similar to what they do in amusement parks on hot days (but at a smaller scale, of course).

even worst, wet and warm enviroment

bacteria loves it :c

I'd prefer to not use them at all. I tried one at a demo, and I got VERY motion sick. I'm a wimp, no need to tell me that

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

I'd really like to try one out with a racing sim. I think the current gen ones are more suited to things like racing or flight sims(least till they go wireless).