Bad PSU

zehao39

PSU as the most important part in a build. I am wonder what is a good PSU. Is 80+ good enough or a bronze 80+ or a  titanium 80+. What else make a good PSU. Is there any way to test a PSU? How bad a bad PSU can damage compyter parts?

2 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

PSU as the most important part in a build. I am wonder what is a good PSU. Is 80+ good enough or a bronze 80+ or a  titanium 80+. What else make a good PSU. Is there any way to test a PSU? How bad a bad PSU can damage compyter parts?

Efficiency doesn't make a power supply higher quality or better performing overall electrically. Just buy a PSU within your budget that generally has an 80+ Bronze efficiency and is of good quality. PSU whitelist in my sig is a good option for you.

A good PSU is made up of quality components. It may have features you like. 

You can test it by plugging it in and turning it on. Put it under stress for several hours if you're worried about if it works or not. If your system refuses to work with a GPU installed but works fine without it then you got a dead unit.

A PSU can catch fire if poorly made enough, can magically lose surge protection and zap hard drives and the occasional motherboard/GPU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

6 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Efficiency doesn't make a power supply higher quality or better performing overall electrically. Just buy a PSU within your budget that generally has an 80+ Bronze efficiency and is of good quality. PSU whitelist in my sig is a good option for you.

A good PSU is made up of quality components. It may have features you like. 

You can test it by plugging it in and turning it on. Put it under stress for several hours if you're worried about if it works or not. If your system refuses to work with a GPU installed but works fine without it then you got a dead unit.

A PSU can catch fire if poorly made enough, can magically lose surge protection and zap hard drives and the occasional motherboard/GPU.

So is there any thing can measure   quality  of a PSU?

4 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

Not much. Just do some research for the PSU you want to pick. Seasonic, XFX, and EVGA is good from what I've heard

5 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

The components used, mostly.

The manufacture does not advertise this though, you'll have to look for reviews.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

6 minutes ago, lolpwnd31 said:

Not much. Just do some research for the PSU you want to pick. Seasonic, XFX, and EVGA is good from what I've heard

I hear EVGA is not good at make PSU?

EVGA does have a lot of great power supplies. I tend to recommend them more than any other company. They do have some mediocre units though. I'd suggest the B2/GQ/GS/G2, and up.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Nope, they're pretty good. Just avoid the NEX series, search up why if you want more info

21 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

Like most brands, EVGA has multiple of lineups with a wide range of quality to match the segment that it is catered to. They have some mediocre units (W1) and they have some excellent units (G2).

Just now, quan289 said:

Like most brands, EVGA has multiple of lineups with a wide range of quality to make the segment that it is catered to. They have some mediocre units (W1) and they have some excellent units (G2).

^^^^ yes