HTC to demo Vive at Microsoft and Gamestop stores

header.jpg?t=1459876691

For those who want to try out the HTC Vive, well now you can, as HTC is demoing their Vive at select Microsoft stores and Gamestop in US and Canada.

Their first 3 places to have the HTC Vive demo will be at Microsoft stores

New York City (the flagship store), Washington state (Bellevue Square) and Utah (City Creek Center)

It will have a total of 30 stores setup by the end of the year. For Gamestop, they should have about 10 demos by mid-April, but didn't specify the total number they're planning to setup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/htc-vive-store-vr-demo,31566.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I was hoping to try out the Vive at Gadget Show Live when I went (and in fact, i would love one, if it didnt require the metres of cable it has) but there was a waiting list at the NVidia booth, so I gave up.

Just now, DaltonM said:

Better have some damn disinfectant wipes.

When they were demoing it at GSL, it was a case of quickly switching between the person on the unit and the person next in line. With no disinfectant. 

1 minute ago, DaltonM said:

Better have some damn disinfectant wipes.

You mean those peppermint scented 1 wipe charlies

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, ServerGuy said:

When they were demoing it at GSL, it was a case of quickly switching between the person on the unit and the person next in line. With no disinfectant. 

YUCK. I took the vision test at the DMV and I wiped the thing off with my shirt >_> It was visibly greasy. I'm not a super germophobe, but seriously peoples faces are greasy and nasty weather you have nice skin or not. 

1 minute ago, DaltonM said:

YUCK. I took the vision test at the DMV and I wiped the thing off with my shirt >_> It was visibly greasy. I'm not a super germophobe, but seriously peoples faces are greasy and nasty weather you have nice skin or not. 

Oh, not to even mention the controller. I sure hope that when I learn to drive/ride and have to do all of these I don't have to go near any suspicious-looking devices...

1 minute ago, ServerGuy said:

Oh, not to even mention the controller. I sure hope that when I learn to drive/ride and have to do all of these I don't have to go near any suspicious-looking devices...

Just be like me and carry everything you ever might need in your backpack.

I added wipes after that day in the DMV lol.

But yeah I seriously thought about trying a VR headset in a public setting, then I remembered face grease. 

2 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Just be like me and carry everything you ever might need in your backpack.

I added wipes after that day in the DMV lol.

Honestly, I don't carry around a bag that often: only to school and on day outings (i.e. photography), but I may have to raid my first aid kit/PC cleaning kit for those antiseptic wipes and shove them in my pockets. Thankfully, I have at least 1 month to prepare.

I feel like this would encourage more people to actually build a PC and get a Vive. Its a step in the right direction, but still doesn't solve the VR problem.

That's nice, actively marketing VR by setting up demo's.

Let's hope they expand worldwide to at least 1 demo in every big city to give people the chance to go over and try it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The Assembly comes out on Oculus Rift and HTC Vive this summer. A PlayStation 4 version launches following the release of PlayStation VR later this year.

The Assembly, from UK studio nDreams, revolves around a mysterious organisation that has been experimenting below the Nevada desert.

The player assumes the role of two protagonists, with the perspective shifting throughout. The trailer, below, gives us a decent idea of how it works.

The Assembly's at EGX Rezzed this week at London's Tobacco Dock, if you fancy a play of the latest demo of the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-07-first-person-interactive-story-the-assembly-out-on-oculus-rift-and-vive-this-summer

I sure hope they got some good games to demo it with. After watching this I am very worried that the game side of thing is not even close to being ready:

Here is a link to the full 11 hour stream (and a thread with info). I haven't watched the full stream but it seems like they played basically every single Vive game, and they are all pretty shitty. I think their comparison with Wii games seems fair. Right now it seems to basically be a head mounted display and a bunch of Wii games... For 800 dollars + the games (which are not cheap).

The Vive games are mostly not fleshed out much at all, due to how little time there's been to actually develop the games. Some of the Oculus games are more fleshed out and polished because they have had devkits available for so much longer.