Netflix deemed Canadian internet caps "Third World"

ttam

Source

http://gigaom.com/2012/09/13/netflix-canada-caps-human-rights-violation/

http://o.canada.com/2012/09/17/canada-has-almost-third-world-access-to-the-internet-netflix-executive/

Netflix basically said that Canadian internet caps are almost a human rights violation. We can all agree with this seeing Linus struggle with his internet often. Pretty interesting to have a large company say what we've been thinking for years. Canadians also get less choices for their $8 package fee than Americans do.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Was just about to post this. :P

Anyway, on the east coast Bell Aliant offers all (Correct me if I'm wrong) of their internet connections, excluding mobile, without caps.

Rogers also offers a 30Mbps plan with a 500GB cap for $50/mo, so it's not that bad.

thankfully i have  unlimited downloads 

More people need to switch to Teksavvy. I've told my parents to. They offer some of the most reasonably priced internet connections with unlimited downloads. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Personally I suspect that the person who came up with the idea of bandwidth caps might have been the devil, or at least a relative to the devil.

It's such a terrible system and it's only there to 1) suck out more money from people and 2) give ISPs the ability to sell more bandwidth than they can actually provide.

I'm with Bell Canada

50 Mbps Download

10 Mbps Upload

Unlimited Usage

$25, part of a bundle of course, but it's still 25 dollars

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm with a private isp owned by the same foundation as my apartment, so really lucky here. Can't imagine having such huge problems with the internet connection... I guess Canada have lower population density then Sweden, but still...

500mbps up and down (elegedly 1000, but 500 is fastest I have been able to achieve, but could be due to limitations on the other end...)

$25/month, but that includes power and water as well :o

Sadly I have to move soon, as I have to be studying to be allowed to stay QQ.

The limits are only really bad if you are with one of the big companies, the smaller ones usually have an unlimited plan for less than the big guys charge on their capped plans.

I'm with Bell Canada

50 Mbps Download

10 Mbps Upload

Unlimited Usage

What all do you have in the bundle?

I'm with Bell Canada

50 Mbps Download

10 Mbps Upload

Unlimited Usage

How the fuck

5mbps down

800kb up

20gb/month (we pay an extra $25 month for unlimited)

$40 ($65 for us)

Also with bell

What all do you have in the bundle?

How the fuck

5mbps down

800kb up

20gb/month (we pay an extra $25 month for unlimited)

$40 ($65 for us)

Also with bell

$10 home phone, caller id, call waiting, standard stuff. no international/long distance (got comwave for that)

$50 dollars bell fibe tv, there's 3 tiers, good/better/best, got a select plan with better + some other channels

$25 internet

all in all the bill at the end of the month is $~95 dollars and some cents with credit
~150 dollars credit each month, it's ridiculous

*when bell calls you up and say they have a promotion, don't hang up :P

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm with DCCNet/Eastlink Communications and it's just a nightmare here.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

I get shafted every month. The thing about Canadian internet is that it's blazingly fast, but the only problem is that we don't have the bandwidth to use that. I get around 40Mb down, but a grand total of 80GB a month. And if you want an idea of what it's like here, a video from my favorite Canadian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwHtASd6Jrs&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9kMnSZQd53hE-1sb1f9sdA

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

$10 home phone, caller id, call waiting, standard stuff. no international/long distance (got comwave for that)

$50 dollars bell fibe tv, there's 3 tiers, good/better/best, got a select plan with better + some other channels

$25 internet

all in all the bill at the end of the month is $~95 dollars and some cents with credit

Not a bad deal if you need/want TV and home phone then. I couldnt get that though even if I wanted it, Bell fibe products aren't available in my building.

Not a bad deal if you need/want TV and home phone then. I couldnt get that though even if I wanted it, Bell fibe products aren't available in my building.

I was already paying well over 100 dollars without tv,

the HD channels are nice, even though it's all 720p

all I watch is CP24 in the morning, and maybe natgeo, discovery, and some storage wars occasionally

$25 internet

Not a matter of a promotion because it's the best option available right now because I am probably decades away from getting any of their fibe options available

I have bell, I get a crappy router/modem combo with my $80 plan!

25/10 = $70 + unlimited bandwith addon = $80/month!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I have bell, I get a crappy router/modem combo with my $80 plan!

25/10 = $70 + unlimited bandwith addon = $80/month!

10 bucks for an unlimited add on with Bell? That's news to me. I get 80 from Rogers, and with today's games it's nowhere near enough.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

I am in Manitoba and pay MTS $60 a month and get 7 down / 1 up.  It is unlimited, but since I live in a tiny town close to the US border, probably the best I will ever see.  Terrible.

More people need to switch to Teksavvy. I've told my parents to. They offer some of the most reasonably priced internet connections with unlimited downloads. 

Yes Sir Yes,,, TekSavvy Rules my man  :D

Been there for years cant remember now; not a single issue and always the advertised speeds. 

LONG LIVE TEKSAVVY!!! :P

PC Gaming forever...

um hello what about australia i pay like $120 for 6mb/s down 400kb/s up and 500gb i paid the same when i had 20mb/s down 800kb/s up and only 200gb -_- we are third world lol

I have Shaw

50mbps down

3mbps up

400GB Cap

$80/month

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

Can we push all the major ISP CEOS in N.America into an active volcano and replace them with Japanese ones? At least Asia cares about it's internet speeds. Even Hong Kong has better internet with 500mbps @ 25usd censored or not.