Project Rhino - A HEX GEAR R80 prototype build

p0Pe

@p0Pe jeeze... I pop into you r website every once in a while... you frequently add new stuff I just have to buy.. those 180 cable combs... profanities yes!!!

Back on topic - let me know how those Vardars behave when attached to that aquareo. My F4s did not play nice with my aquareo 5... at all :)

2 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

@p0Pe jeeze... I pop into you r website every once in a while... you frequently add new stuff I just have to buy.. those 180 cable combs... profanities yes!!!

Back on topic - let me know how those Vardars behave when attached to that aquareo. My F4s did not play nice with my aquareo 5... at all :)

I will do! Normally I solder them all together and attaches them to one long plug, but in this case I might make an extender that is just a splitter so that I can eventually swap them out easy if they behave strange. What was the matter with yours?

30 minutes ago, p0Pe said:

I will do! Normally I solder them all together and attaches them to one long plug, but in this case I might make an extender that is just a splitter so that I can eventually swap them out easy if they behave strange. What was the matter with yours?

Could not get them to run their full range - could be the 1 fan that had the PWM signal was faulty.. (I didn't trouble shoot further) and when voltage controlled they got noisy - but that's not uncommon for PWMs according to google. 1 or two of the fans did also seem to have a higher pitch than the others.

Tossed the noctua industrial NFF12 back in there and have not looked back.

Got a small side project for Monochromatico coming up where I might utilize the Vardars. Having fans stock piled is never a bad idea... :)

Wasn't sure how the blue and grey colour scheme would turn out, especially for the cables but they really look clean. 

Interesting build, nice work.

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

My body is ready for more custom acrylic distribution plates like the r40 build. 

haha your body might go into withdrawl then... ;) Read OP ;)

Unless he changes his mind this time too... would be admittedly funny :)

3 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

God damnit, but like, if you're putting this kind of hardware in a system, why not show off a bit? 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

God damnit, but like, if you're putting this kind of hardware in a system, why not show off a bit? 

well... erhm... I don't know... but amazing builds have been done with "basic" tools before. i'm sure p0pe will impress once again.

7 hours ago, ELSknutson said:

Again that doesn't make any sensce with the cards you chose. If you wanted to prove you had room you Would have been better off with something like a 980ti kingpin or a wind force card not a stock card that will fit into most itx cases. And thoughts cards also put out allot of heat similar to the Titan x's.  And if you can fit 3 dual slot cards in a case you should be able to fit 4 unless you have some funkie piece jotting out on the bottom. Also the Titan x's are blower style coolers that blow the hot air out the back instead of inside the case. Also having 4 Titan X's will bottle neck your CPU causing the 3ed GPU to run an a much reduced rate if at all and the 4th to basically me a paper weight and not run at all due to the CPU bottlenecking. Again doesn't make sensce.  

Dude, I don't think you get this build, it's not a build where people ask why, it's a build where people ask: why not? This is a showcase build and it would not make sense for him to use anything less than 4 of the best performing consumer cards on the market. You see tons of brands doing this, even NVidia themselves put 4 titan Xs into some of their showcase builds, and they would be the first to know about the scaling of their cards over SLI.  I believe he will be water cooling the cards, so the stock cooler does not make a difference.

@p0Pe great build btw, the cables are already becoming beautiful. Will you be using glass tubing as well?

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

10 hours ago, NoobCase said:

Could not get them to run their full range - could be the 1 fan that had the PWM signal was faulty.. (I didn't trouble shoot further) and when voltage controlled they got noisy - but that's not uncommon for PWMs according to google. 1 or two of the fans did also seem to have a higher pitch than the others.

Tossed the noctua industrial NFF12 back in there and have not looked back.

Got a small side project for Monochromatico coming up where I might utilize the Vardars. Having fans stock piled is never a bad idea... :)

That sounds strange. All the more reason to make a splitter so they can be easily swapped out if they are not up to par. The fans are without a doubt the parts that will be the most noisy part of this build, so they have to be silent. I might try and get some noctua and swap them out and see what performs best.

10 hours ago, CapricaBuccaneers said:

Wasn't sure how the blue and grey colour scheme would turn out, especially for the cables but they really look clean. 

Interesting build, nice work.

I still have a lot of things to test in this build, so I hope everything works out together. Still in doubt of what coolant to use. It will most likely be either blue or gray, but I have not thought about it much.

10 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

My body is ready for more custom acrylic distribution plates like the r40 build. 

I will wait with that for another build I have planned:)

Would not be the first time, I agree lol!

10 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I will still show it off the best I can.

well... erhm... I don't know... but amazing builds have been done with "basic" tools before. i'm sure p0pe will impress once again.

Thanks for the trust:D

6 hours ago, nmil said:

Dude, I don't think you get this build, it's not a build where people ask why, it's a build where people ask: why not? This is a showcase build and it would not make sense for him to use anything less than 4 of the best performing consumer cards on the market. You see tons of brands doing this, even NVidia themselves put 4 titan Xs into some of their showcase builds, and they would be the first to know about the scaling of their cards over SLI.  I believe he will be water cooling the cards, so the stock cooler does not make a difference.

@p0Pe great build btw, the cables are already becoming beautiful. Will you be using glass tubing as well?

I think I will give bending a try in this build. So I will have to use acrylic tubing. I might switch to 90 degree fittings depending on how I like the looks of the bend tubes.

15 hours ago, ELSknutson said:

Again that doesn't make any sensce with the cards you chose. If you wanted to prove you had room you Would have been better off with something like a 980ti kingpin or a wind force card not a stock card that will fit into most itx cases. And thoughts cards also put out allot of heat similar to the Titan x's.  And if you can fit 3 dual slot cards in a case you should be able to fit 4 unless you have some funkie piece jotting out on the bottom. Also the Titan x's are blower style coolers that blow the hot air out the back instead of inside the case. Also having 4 Titan X's will bottle neck your CPU causing the 3ed GPU to run an a much reduced rate if at all and the 4th to basically me a paper weight and not run at all due to the CPU bottlenecking. Again doesn't make sensce.  

And why do you care exactly? Why does it rustle your jimmies so much that you start a completely pointless discussion about something that doesn't affect you in any shape or form? When p0pe wants to use 4 Titan X's in his build who are you to say he should or shouldn't do so? 

Considering there have been so many immature trolls on this forum, who've simply put together the most expensive build theyy could and posted on here as a planned build just to gain some fake internet points and attention only to be called out to be a phony and a liar. I'm actually glad that someone decides to put such amazing hardware inside this beautiful case, regardless of whether or not it's just to "show off" the capabilities of this case. 

Again, I fail to see your point in why you're so mad at him using 4000$ worth of GPU's.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

...4 Titan X are fantastic for DaVinci Resolve.

Pope is always Pope ;)

17 hours ago, ELSknutson said:

It's still a wast and it is still pointless  to be running 4 Titan x's and 3 Titan x's is OP 4 is pointless and a blantent wast of money it's like buying a Lambrogini and putting 26inch spinner rims on it.  Also I perfectly fine with you going to them with an angel grinder to make a PC look good. 

No I completely see the point but your missing the point. We get that the case can hold 4 card, that you want the system to be OP ,and That you got all the stuff for free from the various sponsors.

True ehusiast will see that 4th card in there an know that it has no point in the build unless you were running a Xeon processor. But with the 5960X that card is nothing more then added weight to the system. And for that it makes it pointless and sets a bad example to the people who look up to your builds as a reference to base there builds on. 

A true enthusiast would have left the card out and put it towards something more useful. Instead your floating it around like a rapper with gold teeth. 

I don't get this comment reference the 5960X and the 4th Titan X and how a Xeon would be better? :/

Just read a review that shows performance of upto 30% increase in some games at 4k between 3 and 4 way SLI

Personally I think if you can ,why not!

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

I don't get this comment reference the 5960X and the 4th Titan X and how a Xeon would be better? :/

Just read a review that shows performance of upto 30% increase in some games at 4k between 3 and 4 way SLI

Personally I think if you can ,why not!

just because you can is not always a reason why you should. 

Even linus does not recommend 4 way sli 

but to each there own I could care less what someone does. Stack the thing full of fire wood for all I care.

1 hour ago, ELSknutson said:

just because you can is not always a reason why you should. 

Even linus does not recommend 4 way sli 

but to each there own I could care less what someone does. Stack the thing full of fire wood for all I care.

This doesn't prove anything except that 4 titans would be CPU bound at 1080/1440P (Shocker), but then he never even tested that theory, it was his opinion. Pretty sure someone running 4x Titan X would be running 4k, otherwise what is the point? Again, he didn't test that theory and doesn't need 4 titans for 4k cause he prefers high refresh rates which aint there at 4k. Fair enough, it doesn't however mean that a 4th Titan X is a waste in all situations

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Great photos. Great parts. Great setup. Congratulations!

32 minutes ago, smicha said:

This is when a master comments on another master's build.

Damn i adore u guys

Fedt setup med voldsomme specs, men kommer kabinettet ikke til at se lidt tomt ud?

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

1 hour ago, ObeseWalrus said:

Fedt setup med voldsomme specs, men kommer kabinettet ikke til at se lidt tomt ud?

The left side will have motherboard/gpus the right side will be more or less filled up with the reservoir and pumps. Don't think it will look at all empty :)

3 hours ago, smicha said:

Thanks Smicha! And thank you for your help in your thread.

3 hours ago, randy hutajulu said:

This is when a master comments on another master's build.

Damn i adore u guys

Haha, thanks Randy

1 hour ago, ObeseWalrus said:

Nice setup with crazy specs, but will the case not look a bit empty?

Not at all. I will post a few pictures tonight of the case with hardware, PSU and radiators mounted. Then you can see what I mean, as it is quite well filled:D

25 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

The left side will have motherboard/gpus the right side will be more or less filled up with the reservoir and pumps. Don't think it will look at all empty :)

Exactly. And the huge resX4 does not help much with the space:D That thing is so frigging massive!

As promised, a quick update.

kXQWVSw.jpg

I have always been a fan of the rule of thumb that you need a 120 mm radiator for each component, and then one extra to quiet things down. For example, for a cpu/gpu setup, I would go with a 360 mm radiator, for a dual GPU + CPU I would go with a quad setup etc.

82stlCJ.jpg

When it comes to radiator capacity more is always better, up until a certain point where you do not really get anything in return. Yes you can buy a HUGE case and put 4 480 mm radiators in there, but in this build I would like to prove that a 480 + a 360 is MORE than enough to cool an ultra high-end build without the need of 3000 RPM fans.

wdIrhjM.jpg

Bottom of the case (Or top, depending on how you mount the fan plates) supports a 480 mm radiator in 60 mm thickness. You can get a thicker one as the limiting factor is the PCI bracket, but the radiator can be pushed forward so it steers clear of this. But if you go with 4 dual slot graphic cards, these will hit a thicker radiator.

So it is actually possible to go push/pull with the bottom radiator.

NnMzhJB.jpg

Top radiator cannot be more than 60 mm thick, as the motherboard itself is the limiting factor. So no push/pull config for this, unless you go with a 40 mm thick radiator.

mDCDNsj.jpg

Everything mounted. The case is starting to get filled up, and I have not put in the last "big" part - the PSU.

More to come soon!

So the PSU is at the front? This will be very tight :)

On 31/3/2016 at 5:34 PM, Willy Dijo said:

One beast of a system.

Definitely overkill yes!

On 31/3/2016 at 5:49 PM, smicha said:

So the PSU is at the front? This will be very tight :)

Yeah, but it will only be tight because of the stupid amount of stuff I am putting in there. With two pump/res combo's there would be way more space. The resX4 reservoir just takes up so much space!

On 31/3/2016 at 6:06 PM, blnswamy said:

very nice 

Thanks man!

Small update with the graphic cards!

iUbM6HV.jpg

Small shot of the card itself. Super interested in seeing how the new cooler on the next series of cards are going to look!

ghE8HBK.jpg

Wonderfull combo! Backplate and block from EK. Going with Nickel for this build.

BGV2YXB.jpg

I choose the blocks with clear acrylic as I like the looks of these over the solid acetal versions. It is also easier to see if there is any air pockets trapped, or if there is any buildup of gunk or the likes in the jet plate.

N46arsq.jpg

This block is the same that is used for the 980TI´s. It always annoyed me when doing a build with TI´s that there would be "titan x" on the waterblock. Luckily I do not have that problem in this build.

SB8LrIP.jpg

The stock cooler for this card is basicly the same as the ones that have been on the many previous generations of Nvidia cards, just with the names changed. Lets see if that changes in the coming months.

fZgKeE7.jpg

The stock card does not come with a backplate, and just shows off the nice PCB. It also shows off what is one of the biggest differences between the 980TI and the Titan x, the extra 6 gb of Vram.

VX4KwPh.jpg

Stock cooler pulled off. Pro tip - ALWAYS put the screws and thermalpads back onto the stock cooler, and put it in a bag. You THINK it is enough to keep the screws in a bag, and have it put away somewhere, but you might eventually need that stock cooler, and it is 1 min extra to screw them back in where they belong.

siEpqEQ.jpg

Bare PCB with the GPU itself cleaned for thermal paste.

FOZJFJh.jpg

The GPU itself has a mirror finish, as this is the main GPU. The reasons you do not see the same mirror finish on CPU´s is because CPU´s has a "heatspreader" on top of the CPU itself to protect it. If you take this "lid" off, you will see the main CPU which has the same finish: http://i.imgur.com/CtnOCpP.jpg

gytQLQv.jpg

The EK block comes with new thermal pads that you have to put onto the ram´s and volt regulators. Be carefull where you put these, as they may vary in thickness depending on what manufacturer you get your watercooling block from. But the manuals are usually quite throughout so this is not a big problem.

AcOR5ZX.jpg

New thermalpaste placed on the GPU. A single drop is enough, as the pressure from the block being fastened to the PCB is enough to distribute it over the GPU.

1jq8xDi.jpg

Waterblock mounted to the card.

TvXu0rt.jpg

You can choose to go with, or without a backplate. I choose to use a backplate, both for looks, and to transfer some heat away from the vram on top of the PCB. Again, follow the instructions to place the thermal pads in the right locations.

rsfMW8l.jpg

Backplate screwed in place, and all done.

YJv71VI.jpg

From the front.

VV0ZSID.jpg

U8BStdh.jpg

Rinse and repeat until out of money, or PCI slots.