WD Bonk [Scratch Build] (Complete)

"WD Bonk"

IVH70wq.jpg

sQCNrsS.jpg

I4dt50W.jpg

Hello all, This is my second scratch built case, It's a case that's designed to be a replacement for a friends ageing case, The name "Bonk" is a shortening of his nickname and I thought it was a fun name for a scratch build.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've been doing a lot of hacksawing, filing and scribing markings for holes and design boundaries.

oo5sLtP.jpg?1

A whole lot of this happened, filing the aluminium for precise edges.

mrFE3NA.jpg?1

Result of a lot more work than it looks, all markings scribed ready for drilling and hacksawing. I'm in for a whole load of filing for this case.

Previous Build

"WD EXO" Link Here     "WD Bonk" Link Here

Followed immediately, your first scratch build was awesome.

I like this one as well, and happy to see you've made some changes, maybe for aesthetics, some I think are ways to improve your design (no plates in the angles, instead recess on of the side for exemple).

Overral, a bonkers project (in the good way).

FINALLY!!! I have been wanting to see a build like this. All the time see reg build, Reverse, Upside down. never the logical build with the IO on the top of the case .. GL to you. So excited to see final build

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

@RustyHamrLickr

Thanks, This case was also a concept to alter my previous design to be more friendly for the average system, like being wider, supporting a 420mm intake radiator, A front plate to stop things hitting the fans, and having a basement rather than mandatory unique cables

@tnlich

Thanks, I really like this layout design and I'm surprised no case manufacturer has picked it up. 

Previous Build

2 hours ago, Willy Dijo said:

Thanks, I really like this layout design and I'm surprised no case manufacturer has picked it up. 

Silverstone? Silverstone has been making that layout design for many years now. All of their Raven line of cases have this layout except the RV04, also the TJ11, and the fortress FT02 have this layout.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

4 minutes ago, Willy Dijo said:

@ericlee30

Yeah I meant also the window on the left, intake at the front and power supply in a basement at the bottom.

Awe, I see what you mean now :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I've been doing a lot of drilling and tapping recently.

i9Kfcdv.jpg?1

cR5zPMZ.jpg?1

I've been roughing it a little because I'm using an old table saw as a workbench.

nbmqkm3.jpg?2

pMjXeo8.jpg?1

This is the current state of the case, all the lengths have been drilled and tapped and assembled to make sure all the holes align and are ready to be filed to their final design.

Not all case parts are pictured because some need to be filed to fit.

This build log may have less photos and frequent updates as my last build log, however by doing all the drilling, tapping or filing at the same time makes the overall build take less time to complete.

Previous Build

Since last update I've been filing to ensure all components measurements align and have started on sawing and filing the cases designs

B0Fb3FR.jpg?1

It was such a relief that the motherboard mounts aligned.

QHhUOgv.jpg?1

These are the parts that I've filed to shape so far.

Previous Build

All the filing has been done and this is the result

2dLl4vv.jpg

vZlstvI.jpg

Vv1VXXG.jpg

Next job is making the acrylic panels, then paint, then complete.

Previous Build

Purdy 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

All the acrylic panels are complete, 

S2JUhmF.jpg?1

I used angle steel as a buffer and a file to file straight edges into the acrylic.

Ece68SL.jpg?1

Tapping M5 thread into the acrylic sheeting, never done before and it turned out ok.

69jjLn0.jpg?1

all the panels test fitted

EBtyUGQ.jpg?1

I quite like the gap in the system for airflow.

anbsqsm.jpg?1

This is the internal acrylic panels. also my 900D being a good plinth.

Previous Build

Today I migrated my system into the case to ensure that the case functions as intended.

0Jg8cLD.jpg?1

Poor EXO looking empty.

YLkkHt3.jpg?2

I found out that my original plan for a PCI mounting bar wouldn't work so I need to alter it. then it's off to paint.

Previous Build

Niiiice! I'd love to see one of those with a custom watercooling loop :D

BTW. are you still going to build that ITX case?

@Infin8

Thanks, well remembered, Yes that ITX build is what I'm planing on doing next, the designs aren't finalized because it may or may not be given to a friend when he moves to a dorm and would be designed around his components.

Previous Build

2 hours ago, Willy Dijo said:

Thanks, well remembered, Yes that ITX build is what I'm planing on doing next, the designs aren't finalized because it may or may not be given to a friend when he moves to a dorm and would be designed around his components.

Nice, would you build it really small (like the rendering) or make it around the same size as the define s and flashy?

Since last update I've completed the PCI mount bar and painted all the aluminium for the case.

vayH2SI.jpg?1

This is all the aluminium in the system after preping for paint, quite a lot more metal than last build.

ENU6xFw.jpg?1

The screws I bought for the last build started to surface rust not long after assembling, so this time I used a drill and sanding block to take off the original black paint and respray.

gzTf4uE.jpg?1

I wet sanded then hung the parts to dry.

jrLCEr3.jpg?1

I used double sided tape and a scrap length of acrylic to paint the screws.

Zk0CYE4.jpg?1

auEDBXR.jpg?1

Painted parts left to air overnight, assembled case pictures will be out tomorrow morning. I'm still waiting on a couple of things to arrive before the final build photos though.

Previous Build