(UPDATE: Now with a picture!) Details leak of the iPhone 5SE

shermantanker

Apple is believed to be working on a new 4-inch iPhone, and now 9to5Mac claims to have details on what we should expect. The new phone is reported to be an improved version of the iPhone 5S: Apple is essentially said to be taking the guts of the iPhone 6 and stuffing them into the 5S's smaller body. So this new phone would have the iPhone 6's 8-megapixel rear camera, 1.2-megapixel front camera, NFC chip for using Apple Pay, A8 processor, and improved connectivity due to improvements like faster Wi-Fi. The phone's body is said to be similar to the existing 5S, but with curved glass around its edges, like the 6 and 6S, rather than chamfered sides. It'll also be available in all of the 6S's colors, including rose gold. 9to5Mac reports that the phone will "likely" be called the iPhone 5SE, which is a fairly bad name.

9to5Mac says it expects the phone to be announced in late March or early April; that'd fit the timeline of when Apple will likely announce a new version of the Apple Watch, as well. Apple is expected to discontinue the 5S once the 5SE is announced, so it should end up taking the 5S's spot in Apple's lineup, selling for $450.

After reading this the only I thing I could think of is the abysmal battery life you will get stuffing an iPhone 6 into a 5s. Assuming it gets the same battery size of1,560 mAh compared to the 6's 1,800 mAh that will be a big problem. I mean I guess they could under clock the CPU for efficiency, but who know how much that will help being that they will most likely be using the same screen as the 5s which isn't as efficient as current display tech. But anyway this is all speculative at his point, but being that we are getting close the normal launch window these leaks tend be pretty accurate by this point.

Source: The Verge

EDIT: A purported picture of the new iPhone has leaked, and the design shown supports the details above.

iphone_5se.jpgiPhone 5 on the left, and (maybe) a 5SE on the right

Just days after a source indicated the rumored 4-inch iPhone would be named the 'iPhone 5se', a photo supposedly showing the device has been posted online. It shows a clear size similarity with the iPhone 5 family. If real, the photo confirms the previous report that the smaller iPhone retains the external curved design of the iPhone 6 and 6s.

Source: Neowin

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

After reading this the only I thing I could think of is the abysmal battery life you will get stuffing an iPhone 6 into a 5s. Assuming it gets the same battery size of1,560 mAh compared to the 6's 1,800 mAh that will be a big problem. I mean I guess they could under clock the CPU for efficiency, but who know how much that will help being that they will most likely be using the same screen as the 5s which isn't as efficient as current display tech. But anyway this is all speculative at his point, but being that we are getting close the normal launch window these leaks tend get pretty accurate at this point.

I don't think apple cares, people will buy it anyway.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

can apple please realise people dont want smaller phones, people want a phone that doesnt die after 5 minutes -- which is honestly gonna be the catch with this one, seeing their ideas...

back in the day i could drain my ipod touch in 30 minutes if i let it crunch numbers, with this thing getting more hardware in the same space, i doubt any battery tech improvements will help apple out of the hole that this product is gonna "fail" into...

They need to stop pulling this nonsense. This company is at the forefront of tech for a reason, and if they keep pulling this crap they're going to wonder why no one gives a shit about them anymore.

They need to stop pulling this nonsense. This company is at the forefront of tech for a reason, and if they keep pulling this crap they're going to wonder why no one gives a shit about them anymore.

If they´re at the forefront of tech, I´m scared to see what the back end companies look like.

Man, I really hated the design of the 4/5. The glass sandwhich needs to DIE. 

The first iphone I ever considered getting would be 6S. But honestly, I use my phone for way more than an iPhone can do.

I do however want to try some iOS apps. 

But it's cool that Apples giving consumers more options. I miss the days of my Moto X where I could touch the upper left corner of my screen.

That area of the screen might as well be a wasteland on my Note 4 lol 

I doubt Apple launches a new 4" inch phone for no reason. There is a market for it. A lot of people refuse to upgrade because they dislike "big" phones. While I doubt it'll be a massive success, it'll still sell well in the relatively large crowd of people who hold on to their iPhone 5 and 5S because of the size.

If they´re at the forefront of tech, I´m scared to see what the back end companies look like.

They're at the forefront of bring innovations to the mainstream. While I hate Apple and all the credit they steal, without them, we wouldn't have finger print readers or mobile payments in the capacity we do. 

Sure other companies ALWAYS do it first, but Apple brings it to sheeple masses, which is good for us in the long run. 

can apple please realise people dont want smaller phones, people want a phone that doesnt die after 5 minutes -- which is honestly gonna be the catch with this one, seeing their ideas...

back in the day i could drain my ipod touch in 30 minutes if i let it crunch numbers, with this thing getting more hardware in the same space, i doubt any battery tech improvements will help apple out of the hole that this product is gonna "fail" into...

From my personal experience the older generation sin't comfortable using a phone much larger then a 5s anyway. I mean I just did a network upgrade for a client worth at least $10M, and she was still using a hand me down 5s because the standard 6 was too big for her. She was bitching about the battery life, but didn't want to go to anything bigger.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

If anyone should be able to create long lasting phones, it should be apple - they put in hardware that's a faction of the power most phones have and it works for them, so why not capitalize on that!?  Yet, they seem to have gone completely the other direction and have a reputation for the shortest battery life... *sigh*

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Man, I really hated the design of the 4/5. The glass sandwhich needs to DIE. 

The first iphone I ever considered getting would be 6S. But honestly, I use my phone for way more than an iPhone can do.

I do however want to try some iOS apps. 

But it's cool that Apples giving consumers more options. I miss the days of my Moto X where I could touch the upper left corner of my screen.

That area of the screen might as well be a wasteland on my Note 4 lol 

In the article they at least said it would have the 6/6s' rounded glass edges.

Apple is one of the companies that could sell you dog shit if they told you it was premium, and high quality.

You mean if they wrap it in aluminum.

I used to be quite active here.

They're at the forefront of bring innovations to the mainstream. While I hate Apple and all the credit they steal, without them, we wouldn't have finger print readers or mobile payments in the capacity we do. 

Sure other companies ALWAYS do it first, but Apple brings it to sheeple masses, which is good for us in the long run. 

Eh, I guess. Just really bugs me when you could have the exact same 2 things on 2 products, and Apple´s will almost always be chosen even with a more hefty price tag. 

From my personal experience the older generation sin't comfortable using a phone much larger then a 5s anyway. I mean I just did a network upgrade for a client worth at least $10M, and she was still using a hand me down 5s because the standard 6 was too big for her. She was bitching about the battery life, but didn't want to go to anything bigger.

my €80 telenor OT990 lasted a week under normal use, and is small enough to be used by a child.

that is what apple needs to realise to appeal to the audience you just described.

Nice sarcasm.

Whether you like it or not, Apple is the industry leader in consumer tech and they're there for a reason. The newer leadership they have is making them look absolutely dim in comparison to when Jobs was around.

Nice sarcasm.

Whether you like it or not, Apple is the industry leader in consumer tech and they're there for a reason. The newer leadership they have is making them look absolutely dim in comparison to when Jobs was around.

Sarcasm is my middle name, along with Really Cool, Dragons, and complete Idiot. Jokes aside, I know where Apple stands, I know why, just always rubbed me the wrong way on how they manage to sell what they do for so much...

Sarcasm is my middle name, along with Really Cool, Dragons, and complete Idiot. Jokes aside, I know where Apple stands, I know why, just always rubbed me the wrong way on how they manage to sell what they do for so much...

People say the same stuff about Nvidia.

People say the same stuff about Nvidia.

I´m not one of them. I personally think a good chunk of their pricings are reasonable enough and fair (Nvidia´s). I know where they lead, and where they don´t. I know Apple doesn´t make bad products, but regardless, they´re a company that charges you $30+ for a ¨Certified¨ charging cable.

Better performance = Less CPU cycles for same work = Better battery life, so I don't see where the problem is.

Also, the older Ipod touches are essentially fancy Mp3 players. Of course it had crap battery life when you floor the hardware, it was designed to primarily to play music, which places much less stress on HW and most of the time the screen is off. My Ipod touch 2 gets like an hour battery life when I'm doing games and YouTube, but as a Mp3 player it will last 2-3 days. If you judge it based on what it was primarily designed to do, the battery life is great.

That aside, I keep my 5S because it fits my hand perfectly, so this really excites me and to be honest (unless windows phones start being good) this would definitely be my next phone, assuming it's real. I personally dislike Android for the lack of polish in so many devices and the complete fragmentation of the OS between manufacturers. I like some of the extra functionality, but iOS has all the base functionality I want. iOS is good enough to check emails, watch YouTube, and that's all I really need in a phone. Also, the battery issue is easily remedied with a $50 battery charging case, and it even charges using Micro-Usb so I don't have to use Apple's proprietary connector. My only major complaint with the 5s (and all apple devices for that matter) is that the larger storage versions come at an insane premium.

If you prefer the customization and functionality of Android, good for you. Please just understand some people aren't about that kind of stuff. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

After reading this the only I thing I could think of is the abysmal battery life you will get stuffing an iPhone 6 into a 5s. Assuming it gets the same battery size of1,560 mAh compared to the 6's 1,800 mAh that will be a big problem. I mean I guess they could under clock the CPU for efficiency, but who know how much that will help being that they will most likely be using the same screen as the 5s which isn't as efficient as current display tech. But anyway this is all speculative at his point, but being that we are getting close the normal launch window these leaks tend be pretty accurate by this point.

Uh...... you know, the 6 got better battery life despite a bigger, higher resolution screen and a minor increase in battery capacity. If Apple goes with the A8, you'll see around a 25% or so increase if not more in battery life due to the sheer efficiency of the chip. If they go with the A9, (6s compared to 6 regressed in capacity but increased in battery life), battery life will be on the brink of too good.

68010.png

Im ok with smaller phones. Im really hapoy with my 4s back then. The abysmal battrry life is the deal breaker for me

68010.png

If Apple can compete like that in battery like why does everyone act like they have a 2 hour battery? I have a 5 and have never really had any issues but I assumed I just got a magical battery.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)