(UPDATE: Now with a picture!) Details leak of the iPhone 5SE

shermantanker

can apple please realise people dont want smaller phones, people want a phone that doesnt die after 5 minutes -- which is honestly gonna be the catch with this one, seeing their ideas...

back in the day i could drain my ipod touch in 30 minutes if i let it crunch numbers, with this thing getting more hardware in the same space, i doubt any battery tech improvements will help apple out of the hole that this product is gonna "fail" into...

That's nice and all but there are some people out there who do want smaller phones. My wife for example likes the smaller form factor of her 5S because to fits comfortably in her hand. Just because you may not want a smaller phone doesn't mean there isn't a market out there for one

That's nice and all but there are some people out there who do want smaller phones. My wife for example likes the smaller form factor of her 5S because to fits comfortably in her hand. Just because you may not want a smaller phone doesn't mean there isn't a market out there for one

i should have clarified more in "just smaller phones, with the drawbacks that gives you"

i was more so referring to the horrendous battery life putting many guts in a small phone would bring.

back in the day my telenor OT990 - which is about the size of an iphone - was 50% battery, which is honestly what it takes for a small phone to be any kind of satisfying.

i'm not sure what voodoo apple is gonna pull here with the battery, but i expect people who buy these to walk charger to charger the moment their batteries start wearing out.

theres defenately a market for small phones - there however isnt a market for small phones that are as energy gulping as today's flagship phones are.

can apple please realise people dont want smaller phones, people want a phone that doesnt die after 5 minutes -- which is honestly gonna be the catch with this one, seeing their ideas...

back in the day i could drain my ipod touch in 30 minutes if i let it crunch numbers, with this thing getting more hardware in the same space, i doubt any battery tech improvements will help apple out of the hole that this product is gonna "fail" into...

People don't want thinner phones, I would love a smaller 6 if the battery is not too bad.

can apple please realise people dont want smaller phones

You'd be surprised how many people STILL come into the Apple Store and ask for the 5S rather than the 6 or 6S because they find them to be too large. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

People don't want thinner phones, I would love a smaller 6 if the battery is not too bad.

You'd be surprised how many people STILL come into the Apple Store and ask for the 5S rather than the 6 or 6S because they find them to be too large. 

please refer to then post above you two, i made that statement when i was a tad tired, and kinda missed the clue :P

Well my uncle upgraded from a 32GB iPhone 5 to a 64GB 6S and hasnt looked back. e did miss the small screen somewhat but he really like the battery life of the 6S Plus 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I have a few friends that have iPhones and hate the 6 and especially the 6+ because they're "too big". I don't understand how they can use something with a screen that small (the 4S is a freaking toy), so I guess this would be perfect for them. A lot of people like small phones so I guess this would sell pretty well. It's an Apple product after all, they all seem to do well.

I have a few friends that have iPhones and hate the 6 and especially the 6+ because they're "too big". I don't understand how they can use something with a screen that small (the 4S is a freaking toy), so I guess this would be perfect for them. A lot of people like small phones so I guess this would sell pretty well. It's an Apple product after all, they all seem to do well.

It is understandable. People who do not engage in much media/gaming/reading won't truly care for the mega phones of today which cater to such things. People will want a phone first and foremost, as they're likely to only use their phone as a phone/messaging device. 

My work phone is a 5S. Its great. Standby time through the roof since its just calls and texts, nothing more. I can see the appeal. My personal device is a 6S+. I use it as a document editor, drone management tool; pretty much everything that I once needed a laptop to do (within reason of course). So I will gladly take more screen and a bigger footprint as I will justifiably use it. 

There is still the chunk of the population that has no need for a large phone, but would appreciate a small one with modern specs. 

there is a large chunk of people that prefer smaller phones......god knows why.

If Apple can compete like that in battery like why does everyone act like they have a 2 hour battery? I have a 5 and have never really had any issues but I assumed I just got a magical battery.

because its fun to bash them....apparently 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

my €80 telenor OT990 lasted a week under normal use, and is small enough to be used by a child.

that is what apple needs to realise to appeal to the audience you just described.

I had the exact same Telenor OT990, it's a great little phone!

BTW Apple should stop making this mess. It doesn't make any sense doing that.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I had the exact same Telenor OT990, it's a great little phone!

BTW Apple should stop making this mess. It doesn't make any sense doing that.

i'm actually trying to source li-ion (laptop) cells to replace the battery in mine, to go from the 1200mAh or whataver was in there to 7800mAh.

it'll be one hell of a phat phone, but dat 1 month battery life xD

If they implement it right they will mop the floor with the competition. I had a stint selling mobiles for 2 months and you cant believe how many people wanted smaller phones but couldnt find any that were good (for me 4.7 inches is the perfect size), I already get 1.5 day from my 6 (with some tweaking of course) and that is with data WiFi Bluetooth and location always on.

The only time I had battery problems was the time that i had the damn facebook app (and messenger) which is draining more battery than all the other apps combined. So I am confident that it can pull of a 2 day battery easily with that smaller screen and much better performance since it has to push less pixels.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Interesting. The 5s is still absolutely gorgeous, but the design choice is stupid. This is a samsung level of throwing things at walls. Not many people will buy it, and the untechy people will just say "WTF, we want a 6, they're just reselling the 5, what idiots."

Bad, bad move apple. I'd get it if the battery was decent, but this is gonna wreak havoc and cause so much confusion for consumers.

- snip-

Maybe I am alone but i actually like the sound of this idea

If Apple can compete like that in battery like why does everyone act like they have a 2 hour battery? I have a 5 and have never really had any issues but I assumed I just got a magical battery.

Because everyone is too busy hating apple to look at the facts

I have an iPhone 6 and rarely does my phone go flat in a day unless I sit playing games for hours, but thats the same for any phone on the market

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My

Maybe I am alone but i actually like the sound of this idea

Because everyone is too busy hating apple to look at the facts

I have an iPhone 6 and rarely does my phone go flat in a day unless I sit playing games for hours, but thats the same for any phone on the market

my g3 beat would like a word.

- snip-

My my g3 beat would like a word.

A word about what :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Near c

A word about what :P

near constant use and never dipped below 30%, usually 50%, by the end of the day. Literally never. Admittedly, I run low brightness and dont play games, but thats still very decent.

- snip-

Near c near constant use and never dipped below 30%, usually 50%, by the end of the day. Literally never. Admittedly, I run low brightness and dont play games, but thats still very decent.

Sure, I wasnt saying the iPhone has the best battery life, far from it, I was just saying people are so busy hating it that they seem to think you can only use it for 10 minutes a day

The thing is that is a lower power phone and you are only using it for basic tasks, if I never ran games or did anything heavy on my phone I could probably squeeze 2 days out of it, but I pretty much always watch a couple hours video, max brightness, wifi + bluetooth and  a bit of gaming

I do wish it was better, but I think my usage is above the average, though it would be nice to have a "power user" iPhone

EG - I am on 95% right now, I woke up at 7 am, checked facebook, messaged my friend, - watched 2 youtube videos over my morning coffee, and its now 10:45 - periodically checking my phone and sending messages on facebook/whatsapp 

Sure, I wasnt saying the iPhone has the best battery life, far from it, I was just saying people are so busy hating it that they seem to think you can only use it for 10 minutes a day

The thing is that is a lower power phone and you are only using it for basic tasks, if I never ran games or did anything heavy on my phone I could probably squeeze 2 days out of it, but I pretty much always watch a couple hours video, max brightness, wifi + bluetooth and  a bit of gaming

I do wish it was better, but I think my usage is above the average, though it would be nice to have a "power user" iPhone

EG - I am on 95% right now, I woke up at 7 am, checked facebook, messaged my friend, - watched 2 youtube videos over my morning coffee, and its now 10:45 - periodically checking my phone and sending messages on facebook/whatsapp

I agree very much. As long as a phone can get you through a day with how much YOU use it, it has good battery life for your use case. This differs from person to person, but some whos at their desk most of the day doesnt need the behemoth 5kmah battery that someone who is travelling constantly. A "good battery" is entirely subjective.

- snip-

I agree very much. As long as a phone can get you through a day with how much YOU use it, it has good battery life for your use case. This differs from person to person, but some whos at their desk most of the day doesnt need the behemoth 5kmah battery that someone who is travelling constantly. A "good battery" is entirely subjective.

Agreed, im just fed up of the hate train

So another rerelease of 2 year old hardware with terrible, terrible battery life priced higher than some brand new phones with cutting edge hardware.

Nice sarcasm.

Whether you like it or not, Apple is the industry leader in consumer tech and they're there for a reason. The newer leadership they have is making them look absolutely dim in comparison to when Jobs was around.

Industry leader on which front? Because they don't have the highest marketshare of anything. They only have the highest profits due to the insane markups on their products.

As for Cook being the problem, I really don't think so. The direction they're going it reflects their tendencies in the Jobs days too. They have always had products that were good (if arguably overpriced) and products that were utter garbage. On top of that Jobs didn't really design anything himself. He is responsible for their financial success, not their products' quality.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But remember, this would be significantly smaller than the 6, and if the rest of the hardware is the same the battery is bound to suffer.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But remember, this would be significantly smaller than the 6, and if the rest of the hardware is the same the battery is bound to suffer.

That is true,  but its all speculation at the moment

Even if that IS the case, I dont think it will be that bad, generally the people who want a smaller phone are less likely to be power users, (ok that is extremely over generalising) 

And who knows what hardware tweaks will be done

I am just waiting for the 7 :D

That is true,  but its all speculation at the moment

Even if that IS the case, I dont think it will be that bad, generally the people who want a smaller phone are less likely to be power users, (ok that is extremely over generalising) 

And who knows what hardware tweaks will be done

I am just waiting for the 7 :D

I'm curious, would the lack of a jack be a turnoff for you?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm curious, would the lack of a jack be a turnoff for you?

Yes