Extreme overclocking for a school project

Hey, I need a part list to get the highest clock speeds on LN2 possible, so far this is what I've come up with, but feel free to contribute.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FhWkVn

hard to overclock a 9590

thermal output is already incredible

need at least a 240mm rad

maybe a 360 or 40 will let you oc, but dont count on it

You may want to go for a Pentium with a good motherboard, if you are buying this for that project.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Overclock a Pentium 4 lol.  Pick up an entire pentium 4 PC on ebay for 10 bucks and then overclock the hell out of it.  Not sure why you want to spend 700 bucks on a school project.

Disable all but 2 of the CPU cores so less heat is produced.

That is all that I know.

I take back what I said, you're using liquid nitrogen, that's shit that extreme overclockers use. Still, use an Intel CPU, they don't output that much heat compared to AMD. Also have a really high wattage PSU as well

We just so happen to have an expert LN2 overclocker here... maybe he will help you :)

@Lays

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

youre gonna have a hard time getting more MHz out of a 9590...

get something like a intel celeron or pentium

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

hard to overclock a 9590

thermal output is already incredible

need at least a 240mm rad

maybe a 360 or 40 will let you oc, but dont count on it

Not just the heat - its an already overclocked chip.  This project would be like trying to juice an orange that's been run over by a steamroller

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

youre gonna have a hard time getting more MHz out of a 9590...

get something like a intel celeron or pentium

He's right. Anything that already has a high clock speed and high TDP are harder to overclock, no matter what degrees. Aside from this tho, I've still seen people achieve around 7.5Ghz with an FX 8320 using LN2

I would get a 4300 or something

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I would get a 4300 or something

Still has high TDP. Intel usually has a big bet on their side, and the overclocks are insame. 8.0Ghz on pentium chips

Still has high TDP. Intel usually has a big bet on their side, and the overclocks are insame. 8.0Ghz on pentium chips

AMD got 8ghz first

also OP use 1 stick not 2 for extra OC stability 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

AMD got 8ghz first

also OP use 1 stick not 2 for extra OC stability 

Well something that has low TDP, so that he wont have to kill out his PSU

psu isn't an issue, buying all the parts new and just going to keep them or sell them after.

Well something that has low TDP, so that he wont have to kill out his PSU

He would have to delid the pentium

AMD has the benefit of soldered cpus

Do you already have an ln2 pot in mind? Most amd cpu have no cold bug, you need a BIG ln2 pot though, and a big big psu if you plan on stress testing it too with a benchmark.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

High tdp means literally nothing with a 5 pound copper ln2 pot on your cpu at -190c lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

My best bet would be to go with an FX-8350/8320 + Crosshair V Formula, and a big ass PSU (I can't really say if lower than 1000 W would be sufficient). This combo overclocks like champ (no wonder it has set all dem highest frequency WRs) and plus what @Lays said about cold bug.

AMD CPUs are generally easier to OC on ln2 than Intel, so yeah, there's that...

"Euler was a mathematical gangster" - Prof. Edwards Frenkel

My best bet would be to go with an FX-8350/8320 + Crosshair V Formula, and a big ass PSU (I can't really say if lower than 1000 W would be sufficient). This combo overclocks like champ (no wonder it has set all dem highest frequency WRs) and plus what @Lays said about cold bug.

AMD CPUs are generally easier to OC on ln2 than Intel, so yeah, there's that...

The 9590 is just a factory overclocked 8350, correct?  So, if AMD was binning these properly, wouldn't it be near impossible to get a 8350 up to or past the speeds of the 9590, since if it could do that, they would have just sold it as a 9590 to begin with?

The 9590 is just a factory overclocked 8350, correct?  So, if AMD was binning these properly, wouldn't it be near impossible to get a 8350 up to or past the speeds of the 9590, since if it could do that, they would have just sold it as a 9590 to begin with?

Hmm, the fact that a 9590 is 5 Ghz at stock on liquid cooling (or NH-D14, depending on how you look at it lel). doesn't mean that it would perform better/the same as 8350 on two stage/three stage phase change or ln2. Under extreme conditions the determining factor of how CPU will OC is different compared to "mainstream cooling methods". I would say it's the same for GPUs, you see that some OC well under air/liquid cooling (without any/slight voltage bump), but will fall short under low temps and high voltages compared to the chips which will pull 5% OC at best using air cooling, but once cooled with ln2 score 1,8-2 Ghz core clock (when it comes to the ASIC quality there is no definite answer whether lower=better for ln2 tho).

"Euler was a mathematical gangster" - Prof. Edwards Frenkel

I take back what I said, you're using liquid nitrogen, that's shit that extreme overclockers use. Still, use an Intel CPU, they don't output that much heat compared to AMD. Also have a really high wattage PSU as well

It's not about heat. It's about cold scaling. AMD cpus are way better on cold than Intel ones and they don't really coldbug.. that's why frequency WRs are held by FX chips.

For op your best bet is the CVF-Z from ASUS and a few 8350s.. roughly 30% of them will do 8GHz on LN2. most will do well over 6 with dry ice. You'll need an LN2 pot with big mass though. And a better power supply.

Pentium 4s are also a good bet. 20 or so wont set you back much. a board might. ep45-ud3p, p5q deluxe, ep45 extreme, rampage extreme are good boards to go for. you'd need some well binned micron d9s though for ddr2 cause you will go over 1200mhz on some chips.