Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I didn't realize Zealios V2s were a dollar a switch. Guess I'll be trying out Box Royals first. 

Came across this today.....made me smile

On 7/3/2019 at 4:58 AM, Ragnorok64 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at this review

I'm wondering if Box Royals would be too heavy on initial activation force for a good gaming switch.

Hi, Just a heads up, JYMV has a heavy preference for light tactile switches, anything more tactile than a mod m/h he dislikes. 

So, after using the Kira for a week, I have noticed there are some firmware bugs still, particularly with lighting. However, the firmware bugs are not as egregious as my Anne Pro 2, which becomes borderline impossible to use unless I restart my entire computer.

There's been one time when I had to do that with my Kira. AP2 requires a couple restarts every few days I use it. Might look for a different compact Bluetooth-enabled mech, honestly.

Hey guys, I'm approximately 1-2 weeks away from building my first ever bespoke custom keyboard for myself featuring Kailh Box Jades.

Was just wondering, does anyone have any experience with Kailh Jades and Zealios V2s? The Zeals interested me when I was on the lookout for new switches after Jades were sold out, until I saw KBDFans have a set of 68 Jades in stock.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

15 hours ago, seoz said:

Hey guys, I'm approximately 1-2 weeks away from building my first ever bespoke custom keyboard for myself featuring Kailh Box Jades.

Was just wondering, does anyone have any experience with Kailh Jades and Zealios V2s? The Zeals interested me when I was on the lookout for new switches after Jades were sold out, until I saw KBDFans have a set of 68 Jades in stock.

Zeal v2 switches have a very long and drawn out bump where as jade switches are very sharp. The jade switches are clicky whereas the zeal switches are tactile, imo unsilenced zeal switches and poly housing switches in general sound terrible. 

50 minutes ago, b emoji said:

unsilenced zeal switches and poly housing switches

With lubed switches and dampening material in the case(especially if it's contacting the central peg of the switch as it sticks through the PCB) they sound MUCH better. 

Man, Massdrop's shipping seems to be taking forever. I'm going to end up with just the bag of box royal switches today, and no keyboard to put them in. That's in spite of ordering the keyboard first.

Introducing my first ever custom bespoke keyboard - Tokyo Sakura.

She's a Geek GK61 PCB along with a wooden case, stock Kailh Box Jade switches, and the Akko World Tour Tokyo keycap set. She took around 30-45 minutes to completely finish as the GK16 PCB has hot-swappable key switch sockets which allow for easy insertion and removal of key switches.

I love how she turned out with the oriental Japanese-inspired aesthetic, the wooden case makes for a nice accent contrasting with the white and pink keycaps.

Spoiler

IMG_1180.thumb.JPG.9673f552e39cae852a29ee575539098e.JPG

Spoiler

IMG_1191.thumb.JPG.dc044b9ba48fda286e70057d621b57c7.JPG

37 minutes ago, seoz said:

Introducing my first ever custom bespoke keyboard - Tokyo Sakura.

She's a Geek GK61 PCB along with a wooden case, stock Kailh Box Jade switches, and the Akko World Tour Tokyo keycap set. She took around 30-45 minutes to completely finish as the GK16 PCB has hot-swappable key switch sockets which allow for easy insertion and removal of key switches.

I love how she turned out with the oriental Japanese-inspired aesthetic, the wooden case makes for a nice accent contrasting with the white and pink keycaps.

Nice!. What does is sound like? I only have a handful of Jades, not a full keyboard with them.

5 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Nice!. What does is sound like? I only have a handful of Jades, not a full keyboard with them.

It sounds exactly like what I thought Jades would sound like - firm and potent 'clicks'! :) The spacebar has a nice quick 'thunk' to it, which is entirely different to the usual clicks from the other keys. I could link into recording a sound test if you wanted one, the spacebar is quite hard to describe, clearly! :D

Jades are much heavier than I anticipated and I love them for it, I can hit my usual 104WPM with them due to how responsive the clicks are, it's an excellent tactile clicky key switch.

Just ordered a Corsair K55 the other day in the Prime sales... I've had a corsair KB before and it lasted about 4-5yrs before the space bar broke.... But that's better than some others I've had in the past.

But nothing can compete with my old Microsoft Media Keyboard 1.0A that's still going strong after 17yrs, along with the Intellimouse I bought at the same time.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Finally got my Massdrop Alt, switches and keycaps in. I got it with Halo Clears. I played 1 round with then and promptly switched all my interior switches out for Box Royals and swapped to the white pudding keycaps. I honestly wasn't a fan of the feel of the default keycap's spacebar. I've got some rubber keycaps incoming for my WASD, number, and reload keys.

FVNBsTu.jpg

I have a blackwidow lite, and I gotta say, it's awesome. I'm no razer lover that just gets razer because it looks cool, I got it because Razer's Chinese keyswitches are so damn cheap and good.

1 hour ago, 00100000 said:

I have a blackwidow lite, and I gotta say, it's awesome. I'm no razer lover that just gets razer because it looks cool, I got it because Razer's Chinese keyswitches are so damn cheap and good.

Paying 100$ for greetechs is not cheap, and greetechs are pretty medicore

I dunno, I like it. I was planning on getting a corsair keyboard, but the razer ones have a lot lower actuation force as well, which is nice.

2 hours ago, 00100000 said:

I dunno, I like it. I was planning on getting a corsair keyboard, but the razer ones have a lot lower actuation force as well, which is nice.

Pretty sure they're both 45g, I think you're talking about actuation distance, but then Wooting, Steel series, and other optical switches have much lower actuation distances. And the impact it has is very negligible

well crap I just realized that I've become a razer sheep. Almost as bad as an Apple sheep.

@geo3 Looks great, seen it on reddit iirc. Did it took a long time getting used to ortholinear?

32 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Painted the case for an all white ascetic.

62KNIYhAA0n6UMJlmqCudV1KYLv0LJP0_uwgtcAr

What is that exactly?

I love the idea, having this little place to discuss the satisfying feel each press feels. 

I myself use a Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM (MX Brown), it's been 3 years now since I've had it and I never looked back. I am now neveer satisfied with anything else. ;)

On 7/23/2019 at 12:38 AM, geo3 said:

Preonic from OLKB. It's a 60 key ortholinear keyboard.  Caps are SA Icecaps from PMK and switches are Zealios V2.

What zealio weight ? Any mods?