Virus Story Megathread

DoctorEeevil

Post your wierd experiences with viruses here. Tell us about the freakiest, and most harmful viruses you've ever had.

I've never had a virus.

wow , you GE in real life too !

offtopic : you GE in csgo ?

ontopic :

only really annoying adware , had to purge system with holy water to get rid of it ... kept changing proxy settings

I dont get viruses because I use CommonSense anti-virus

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I had cryptolocker on my laptop once..... I reinstalled Windows.  The end.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Usually i'm alright with dealing with viruses but I think this one time when I was like 11,12 I clicked on a link in a YouTube comment and I can't remember if I downloaded everything but all I remember is opening something, the terminal window popped up and i'm pretty sure it corrupted everything and my PC then wouldn't boot up. I remember raging at my dad cause it's way expensive to get it repaired :P Not sure if this was a virus or not but it fucked it majorly thats for sure.

Pfft who still pays to get their PC fixed?

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

not a virus, but i was fixing a pc, which had the recovery partition removed, and would not allow me to upgrade to windows 10 it threw errors, and wouldent boot from a USB! all i wanted to do was install windows 10... did it in the end

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Ebola virus that kill a lot of peoples in Africa. 

Wow.

My laptop has so many viruses and malware on it that I can't run anything that MIGHT get rid of them. Clean install of windows is the only way to go (from a disk too :c)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Had a cryptolocker twice, other than that, not much harmful stuff.

Post your wierd experiences with viruses here. Tell us about the freakiest, and most harmful viruses you've ever had.

I like the one where the customer comes in and says "I have never gotten a virus before, and use common sense so I didn't install AV".

Yes, we knew the guy and yes he's a pretty careful and decently tech saavy guy. 

And he has a virus that completely obliterated his system. It cost him several hundred for a sketchy data recovery. 

Moral of this story:

Don't be stupid: Have daily backups and install a freaking antivirus program and run it.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Norton

/t

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I've had to remove a few toolbars from my grandmother's laptop once, but I think that's it, I'm generally pretty careful and I don't quite understand how my friends still manage to get viruses.

I also know a guy who has a machine running XP SP2 for backwards compatibility testing and he still hasn't run into any viruses on that.

Actually, there was a time when I was trying to get SpySheriff to do nasty things on a VM running XP, and I think I failed.

Sig under construction.

Norton

/t

i strongly dislike norton, nearly as bad as McAfee, now theres a challenge try uninstalling McAfee!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

i strongly dislike norton, nearly as bad as McAfee, now theres a challenge try uninstalling McAfee!

I had that too. my dad bought the year key thing.

after a year it kept spamming me.. then I reinstaled windows...

I hate anti viruses

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Last time I had a virus, I was 14 and was browsing "sexy teens" on netscape communicator fighting the pop-ups. 

Spoiler

I've had one. Just restored my system. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I had that too. my dad bought the year key thing.

after a year it kept spamming me.. then I reinstaled windows...

I hate anti viruses

tell me about it, to uninstall MCafee you need to install this uninstall that! its easier just to reinstall windows :D 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

What antivirus do people recommend? I got my first ever windows box a month ago, and having quite got around to antivirus.

What antivirus do people recommend? I got my first ever windows box a month ago, and having quite got around to antivirus.

There are as many opinions on this as people, but:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/360072-guide-getting-started-with-viruses-antivirus-and-best-practices/

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Once upon a time, i had a virus. And removing it was a huge challenge. But then i thought to myself, that i could reinstall windows! That idea was brilliant! And i did so. After that I had learned my lesson, so i installed common sence into my brian and never got a virus again.

I had one that tried to open everything in Adobe Reader, including Adobe Reader. :/

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I had one that tried to open everything in Adobe Reader, including Adobe Reader. :/

uninstall adobe reader? aha 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

never had a virus, but a few years ago before I knew anything about computers or malware, in my mind those such things were unknown evils that could devastate lives and destroy computers. I had two incidents where I went to a site that ended up setting my browser's homepage to a malicious site and locking up the browser so no matter how many times I force quit then reopened, I would be right back at the site without any option to go to a new site. It really freaked me out and I thought I was doomed. Until I figured out how to clear browser data from the program files xD

The first time was some ghetto site where I could watch old pokemon episodes. The second was some troll site called something.pitas (don't remember the whole thing). That one wasn't malicious but it sure was a troll.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W