Tech Gifts for Non-techies Giveaway!

Heyo,

I would buy my non-techie friend a Samsung SSD, as the HDD he has right now is about to die - the S.M.A.R.T thingy or whatever its called comes up when he boots his computer, and I wouldn't want him to loose all his files - as there are a lot of photos on there  ;) .

An Intel Core i5-4460 for my mom i'm updating her computer because she still using a Pentium 4

I would absolutely love to get a PS4 for my sister for Christmas. We grew up playing Uncharted and the Uncharted collection just came to the PS4. I've been trying to get her to buy a PC for a long time but I don't know if she'll ever actually do it but she still plays her PS3 so she'd definately use the PS4. Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-500GB-Console-Uncharted-Collection-4/dp/B016P6KIFY/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1449779807&sr=1-1&keywords=ps4

Amazon link.

- A new GPU for my 14 year old brother.

- He's currently using my old GT 730 as I've upgraded to a 980Ti so a 960 would be a boost for him and he likes white color so the 960 Turbo will make him very happy.

I would choose my mom who has trouble navigating around locations that she has not been before. While she does already have a GPS, it doesn't really work from what I've seen and a paper map may actually be just as effective as the GPS she has. Thus, I would choose a newer and more powerful GPS for her.

- Comment below telling us what gift (value of US$300 or less before tax and shipping on Amazon) you would want to give to your non-techie counterpart and link to that gift on Amazon

A Laptop

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-Celeron-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B011FPC45M/

- In your comment, tell us WHO you have chosen to potentially receive that gift (mom, grandma, neighbor, etc.)

Mom

- Also tell us WHY you're getting it for them (eg. a new smartphone because grandpa still has a flip phone)

She has a low-end Macbook from ~2005 and says that its enough for what she needs it for though she cant even web browse without extreme lag. Its also falling apart slowly(physically)

I'd get the google OnHub router for my grandpa. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013ALA9LA/) He has 3 laptops and 2 desktops that he's keeping active. He won't but a new router, and insist that his isp default router is good enough, even though timeouts occur more often than not when loading webpages...

Hey man happy holidays to everyone on this wonderful forum and community. You're all great for helping out such a great person such as Linus create is his dream job out of YouTube Channel. The 21st Century is amazing isn't it?

Anyway, my story with how I got into tech started my freshman year of college. I used to have a hard time going to bed because my roommates would stay up all night on their custom PCs playing league of legends or antichamber as they did lots of drugs haha. Anyway, I got interested in them when I asked my roommate how he built his and how much it cost him and such. I wondered if I had enough money if I had the opportunity to build my own, why not right? I didn't give it much thought until my sophomore year when I had a different roommate who's dad built him his own computer with multiple monitors and the like, it was awesome and it made me realize that it really is much more accessible than i thought. My roommate was kind of a moron, and if he could do it, I could too. Fast forward to Feb 27th 2014 when I came down the most awful illness. I somehow got a fever overnight, up to 102 (still got a B on my physics test that day though ;)) and I was really sick for about two weeks. I couldn't move I felt like I was dying, finally I called my mom about it and told her that I needed her help. She lives 6 hours away from my college but she was there the next day and took care of me, until I turned yellow. I was jaundice for some odd reason and spent a week in the hospital for liver failure. I had to drop the semester and come back home with my parents to recover, which took 6 months. In those 6 months of me being bed ridden, I had no way to go anywhere. All I wanted was to go outside and explore but I couldn't, and then I got the great idea of selling a bunch of my stuff and building my own PC to finally give Skyrim a go. It was great, I started with just one of those DIY kits from Newegg. Just a simple little amd APU build was enough for me though, and I learned how to put it all together while watching this channel. Thanks Linus, and company. I was able to sit on my computer and learn more about myself and my own ingenuity than I knew. However I sold my ipad that I had for PC part money. Now about 2 years later I wish I still had it because my Dad really needs a tablet because he loves to read and wants all his books on digital where he can actually increase the font size as his vision starts to go.

I found this a little while ago, http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC769LL-Tablet-Black-Generation/dp/B00MZ75PHO/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449780218&sr=1-5&keywords=ipad+2. I don't have the money as I am a broke college kid but I really wish I could get this for him, it's the least I could do for him. 

Thanks everyone. 

i'll give my old folks a bottle of some alcoholic beverage.

it'll make them more happy, and make me more happy they're too drunk to bother me.

its useless to give any form of tech to a family that has issues with operating a light switch.

I don't know, but a Chromecast dongle sounds like its a cool little gadget.

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

An smartphone for my mom would be awesome, she has a very crappy old one and now she started using it for work it stresses her because it being so slow. 

http://www.amazon.com/ZenFone-Unlocked-Cellphone-Silver-Warranty/dp/B00VWKKHKU/ref=sr_1_34?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1449780335&sr=1-34&keywords=smartphone&refinements=p_36%3A20000-30000%2Cp_72%3A2491150011

Probably the Intel compute stick for my mom or dad. They need a new computer at home or for traveling and the compute would be awesome for them to use in the living room or a tv elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014N4CZE2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449781446&sr=8-1π=SX200_QL40&keywords=intel+compute+stick&dpPl=1&dpID=41HsL8Qho5L&ref=plSrch

My fiance has a huge record collection she gathered years ago (we're talking Disco Days...yup) but hasn't had a turntable for years and would love to get those records, some classic 12" collections, over to digital as well as be able to enjoy over a turntable. The Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB I think would do all the above and be an amazing gift to bring back great memories. Help me Santa Linus!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449781071&sr=8-1&keywords=Audio-Technica+AT-LP120-USB+Direct-Drive+Professional+Turntable+in+Silver

- WHAT

I absolutely love this device!
http://www.amazon.com/Matricom-Pre-installed-Add-Ons-Keyboard-PREINSTALLED/dp/B00QZPI4IO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449781156&sr=1-5&keywords=g-box

- WHO

I wish I could give one to everyone I know!  Most likely I would give it to my mother in law.  She knows how to use her iphone but thats about it.  With this she would probably be able to get rid of comcast all together.

- WHY

Like everyone today they are looking to cut expenses and cable tv is a huge one at the most basic packages being 40+ with taxes and fee BS!  Who wouldnt want to watch all the same shows for a fraction of that price or even free.

41EFqZqeaNL.jpg

I don't usually win stuff but I always try. Now I am tring for my father and he doesn't know.

And want to send my father a pc because he updated his computer to win 10 and it failed when he got it back to windows 7 all his documents and programs where gone. And now his grafics card does strange, so I think he needs it but it's a gaming pc so he can also fake on it

I have no tech savy family members, but my brother has begun to realise how much better pc gaming is than console gaming. He's willing to make the switch and learn the art of pc gaming IF he can enjoy the gaming experience at the desk the same as he can in the living room. Since my budget can't get a fancy monitor, I'm here to ask you guys for one, if I get drawn that is. Not quite the same as the living room tv, but hey, who sits more that a few feet/meters from their desk to pc game anyway? Sorry, this is longer than it needs to be...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ITORITU/ref=psd_mlt_nbc_B00B2HH7G0_p

A big monitor for my brother to connect it to his laptop. He has the horsepower to use 1080p so this should be a nice present for christmas.

Link here

You guys rock and I would love to see more custom cases videos.

I would give to my mom a pair of good Sennheiser's like the HD 6 mix DJ, she works all day in her office but she has some trouble getting focus on her work cause all the noice in the place, and that makes her anxious (She has Fibromyalgia and her pain distract her and make it worse). I choose the HD6 cause they're comfortable and closed back, they're perfect for her.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-Mix-DJ-Headphones/dp/B00I51HUL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449781711&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+dj+6

I'm going to do it someday anyways but being a college student is not the best haha. 

Thanks for the giveaway.

Narf.

I would get my parents a ssd for their computer. They use it a lot and they get frustrated when it is slow. This would ease their mind more and make them happier. Thanks for the opportunity to be in this giveaway I will post the Amazon link below. Merry Christmas to the whole Linus tech tips team.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LF10KTO/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1449781813&sr=8-4π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=samsung+ssd&dpPl=1&dpID=412M8LGGfrL&ref=plSrch

Thanks again,

Emiller