i5 4690k or i5 6600k?

Go to solution Solved by Whorax,

arma 3 runs shit on everything like it just is so badly optimizes u wanna throw ur cpu out of the door

just get the less expensive one and buy a better gpu

I get a solid 60 fps nearly everywhere on Arma 3. You apparently don't have the hardware to run it or you don't actually play Arma. Terrible advice to give to someone as Arma is an extremely CPU based game.

So, OP, I would get the 6600K.

So im soon going to upgrade from an amd phenom 965 to an i5 but is it worth waiting for the new skylake i5 possessors? I do play games like arma 3 that need prepossessing power. so what do you guys think? 

Slightly off video (4770k vs 6600k) but it should all yield similar results

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

arma 3 runs shit on everything like it just is so badly optimizes u wanna throw ur cpu out of the door

Vary bad idea my friend gpu works fine 

For me I would go 6600k for upgrade path on the new socket (not that there is still a huge path). Plus then you get the massively updated feature set over z97.

The i5 6600k is available basically everywhere btw.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Skylake will be out soon (hopefully), so I'd say just wait for it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you play Arma 3, it benefits from as much single thread as possible.

So if you get the 6600k and overclock it, you should get much more frames than the 4690k even when overclocked.

Overclocking helps a lot in the Arma games.

Skylake will be out soon (hopefully), so I'd say just wait for it.

North America seems to be having supply problems, but they've been available to buy in most of the rest of the world since the 5th of August. My 6700K is sitting in the room waiting for other parts to arrive, so I can get my build done...

North America seems to be having supply problems, but they've been available to buy in most of the rest of the world since the 5th of August. My 6700K is sitting in the room waiting for other parts to arrive, so I can get my build done...

But even in NA the i5 is available.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

So im soon going to upgrade from an amd phenom 965 to an i5 but is it worth waiting for the new skylake i5 possessors? I do play games like arma 3 that need prepossessing power. so what do you guys think? 

What do you mean waiting?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-N82E16819117561&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgLGuBRCqptLsnJCvh-wBEiQAiNRjsVdv4Ph93Xd38EMqIrmop9Gu0_mh36YMEyb6O_n3rkgaAjox8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9788453&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&scid=scplp3239127&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgLGuBRCqptLsnJCvh-wBEiQAiNRjsSLSs-HDfG9rB_gezbyiTOaxElJHdUS3P7bc9hLUK7EaAlz08P8HAQ

and if you dont mind spending a little more for the lates gen item then go for skylake. But if your trying to save some money then get Hasswell 

I get a solid 60 fps nearly everywhere on Arma 3. You apparently don't have the hardware to run it or you don't actually play Arma. Terrible advice to give to someone as Arma is an extremely CPU based game.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I get a solid 60 fps nearly everywhere on Arma 3. You apparently don't have the hardware to run it or you don't actually play Arma.

Terrible advice to give to someone as Arma is an extremely CPU based game.

so you get a solid 60 in the middle of kavala while theres a firefight?

i would send you a picture of my specs and arma 3 in my steam with my hours but im not home 

The point of that sentace is that arma 3 just runs like crap

op what would you rather have. 2 extra frames in arma 3 or a larger % of frames in other games?

I have to agree on Skylake, if you're coming off AMD chips you might as well get the most up to date chipset. Yes the 4690k might overclock higher but not high enough to loose a lot of the nicer features like more pcie lanes for your high speed ssds and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

so you get a solid 60 in the middle of kavala while theres a firefight?

i would send you a picture of my specs and arma 3 in my steam with my hours but im not home 

The point of that sentace is that arma 3 just runs like crap

Hence why I said "nearly everywhere". The game never drops below 30fps for me in the intense places on the map(s) and in my opinion that's still playable for an Arma game.

Being someone so seasoned in Arma 3 I still don't know why you would recommend the OP get a cheaper CPU and go with a better GPU. I also don't know what the problem is that you're getting apparent bad framerates when you have the same CPU as me and I'd assume an equal or better GPU. After looking at your specs have you thought that it may be your GPU holding Arma performance back not the processor?

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Depends on what the pricing is like in Ontario. I've heard there's quite a large premium in Canada for Skylake hardware. Compare it to Haswell, and if it's priced similarly (maybe even a bit more), it's worth going with Skylake. But the performance difference just isn't there to justify paying much more for it.

Hence why I said "nearly everywhere". The game never drops below 30fps for me in the intense places on the map(s) and in my opinion that's still playable for an Arma game.

Being someone so seasoned in Arma 3 I still don't know why you would recommend the OP get a cheaper CPU and go with a better GPU. I also don't know what the problem is that you're getting apparent bad framerates when you have the same CPU as me and I'd assume an equal or better GPU.

i never said im getting bad frames im just saying that the frames isn't that large of a increasefrom the 4690k and the 6600k. but maybe when we get dx12 on arma 3 it might run a lil better :)

He is right in the fact of the game sucks.

I have no fucking clue why he then said get a better GPU..

He clearly doesn't realize in this case, he gets so little frames because of his 260x