New fans are "buzzing"

IhazHedont

Hey,

Just bought a couple of the new EK Vardar F4 @2200 RPM, PWM version.

My fan controller only has 3 pins connectors (whereas the fan has 4), and when I connect them to it, the fans are buzzing, no matter the speed is.

Should I replace my fan controller ?

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

Try plugging them into your mobo.

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Hey,

Just bought a couple of the new EK Vardar F4 @2200 RPM, PWM version.

My fan controller only has 3 pins connectors (whereas the fan has 4), and when I connect them to it, the fans are buzzing, no matter the speed is.

Should I replace my fan controller ?

Just do a test and run it off of the CPU's true PWM header and see if it's a fan issue some 4 pin PWM fans don't like it when they run on 3 pin.

do they still buzz if you plug them directly to motherboard?

is it a vibration from hiting your case or does it seem to be comming directly form fans motor?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

might as well just replace the fans

it would cost the same as replacing the controller

they have a horrble noise to performance ratio

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Try plugging them into your mobo.

Just do a test and run it off of the CPU's true PWM header and see if it's a fan issue some 4 pin PWM fans don't like it when they run on 3 pin.

is it a vibration from hiting your case or does it seem to be comming directly form fans motor?

So I tried, one of them is silencer, but still buzzing, they're not as quiet as my Noctua were...

might as well just replace the fans

it would cost the same as replacing the controller

they have a horrble noise to performance ratio

By "they", you mean the Vardar ?

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

It seems to be coming from the motor :/ I might ask EK a refound I guess.

By "they", you mean the Vardar ?

yes

a while ago I did all the calculations comparing them to severañl noctua fans and they perform worse than a quiet airflow fan in both static pressure, airflow, and noise

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yes

a while ago I did all the calculations comparing them to severañl noctua fans and they perform worse than a quiet airflow fan in both static pressure, airflow, and noise

I found that the airflow was really nice.

The thing I don't explain is that if I turn the blades manually, I don't have that buzz, this means that it doesn't come from the ball bearings.

I work as an electrical expert so I discussed with my colleagues about that, and the only thing we conclude is that the harmonics can be the cause.

Because if I connect them to my fan controller (3 pins), I have the noise, which could come from the fact that the fans are under volted.

But, If i connect them to my 4 pins MB, they are loudy as well, whereas I use the PWM function with Asus Fan Xpert.

I opened a ticket and asked for refunding, maybe EK will tell me why they are loudy, because I watched Jay2cents video again, and his fan was quiet as hell, and he connected it to his MB, and used Speed fan ...

EDIT: Or maybe the 4 pins MB port is also using a voltage control ? I just read that Intel mobos do that, and only CPU fan header actually uses PWM.

EDIT2: I checked my MB user manual, and I might have a little anser. All 4 pins are PWM compatible, and I think that I set all my ports on DC mode because of my Noctuas. This means that my fans haven't been tested on PWM at all. I'll try this evening when I come back from work, I'm pretty sure that the 4 pins header is set on DC mode ...

After several tests, the buzz comes from the vibration of the fan on the radiator. The itself doesn't buzz, but when you put it on any surface, you get the noise.

Do you guys know any kind of anti vibration kit that can fit between a fan and a radiator ?

Do you think this would work ?

http://www.docmicro.com/watercooling_radiateurs-fixsupport_DocMicro-com-Kit-de-Fixation-pour-Radiateur-avec-Caoutchouc-120mm-Noir_10154.html

After several tests, the buzz comes from the vibration of the fan on the radiator. The itself doesn't buzz, but when you put it on any surface, you get the noise.

Do you guys know any kind of anti vibration kit that can fit between a fan and a radiator ?

Do you think this would work ?

http://www.docmicro.com/watercooling_radiateurs-fixsupport_DocMicro-com-Kit-de-Fixation-pour-Radiateur-avec-Caoutchouc-120mm-Noir_10154.html

I think I might know what that problem is then if it's buzzing only in front of a grill or radiator, the only way to really fix it is giving it more spacing using a thicker gasket like the ones you have there.

Theoretically that should do the trick.  I'd try with some rubber or cardboard washers first and see if that helps.

I think I might know what that problem is then if it's buzzing only in front of a grill or radiator, the only way to really fix it is giving it more spacing using a thicker gasket like the ones you have there.

Very interesting video.

I think the little caoutchouc bracket + anti vibration ring should do the trick without sacrificing that much of performance.

That being said, I think the noise comes from vibration because it appears when I put the fan on my desk :/

Very interesting video.

I think the little caoutchouc bracket + anti vibration ring should do the trick without sacrificing that much of performance.

That being said, I think the noise comes from vibration because it appears when I put the fan on my desk :/

You could look for something like this https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/120mm-dual-radiator-gasket-1mm-thickness/

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

That's nice, I'll try to find out if I can purchase it in EU. Thanks.