Can This PC Setup Support 2-Way SLI?

I was wanting to know if my next build can support 2-way SLI, as im not the best when it comes to building PC's the help would greatly appreciated.

Link to the PC specs:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pjwcsY

As i said any help is appreciated, thanks!

I was wanting to know if my next build can support 2-way SLI, as im not the best when it comes to building PC's the help would greatly appreciated.

Link to the PC specs:

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, it supports SLI, but you'd want a better power supply in all likelihood.

However, if you're doing this for gaming I'd go down to an i5-4690k and instead of going for SLI I'd see if I could grab a 980Ti.

Sig under construction.

Yes but I would recommend a better power supply.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

Link to the PC specs:

For the most part, yes. But, you will need a better power supply. For GTX 970s, I think 750W would be more than enough headroom. 

Check this one out: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

i7 will be more future proof, keep it.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

"Future proof" is a bunch of bullshit.

are you for real ? considering the i7 has hyperthreading and will be able to hold out longer on newer gpus that are released in the future.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

are you for real ? considering the i7 has hyperthreading and will be able to hold out longer on newer gpus that are released in the future.

Lol, you think hyperthreading makes a serious difference? It doesn't.

I bought an 850W for SLI, just incase. Someone recommended I have 20% extra power just in case, so I have plenty of playing room.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Yes it can, but its better to get a 980 then 2 970's..

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

Yes it can, but its better to get a 980 then 2 970's..

970 sli slaughters one 980....

Lol, you think hyperthreading makes a serious difference? It doesn't.

I don't agree with the word "Future Proof" But hyperthreading does make a big difference, games benefit from faster cores, and Hyper  Threading helps a lot in that case. Also, if you are doing renders and any video editing/pic editing/3d modeling(ECT!) It will definitely help.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5

Link to the PC specs:

Yes and you may even get away with 600W using 970's but incase you want to change gpu's I"d get something else

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

I don't agree with the word "Future Proof" But hyperthreading does make a big difference, games benefit from faster cores, and Hyper  Threading helps a lot in that case. Also, if you are doing renders and any video editing/pic editing/3d modeling(ECT!) It will definitely help.

Hyper threading doesn't work like that. xD Games barely even support it, and even with DX12 coming out you're going to see more of a difference having 8 cores than 4 cores and hyper threading. Sorry, but the performance gain isn't actually as much as people make it out to be.

Edited by Godlygamer23

970 sli slaughters one 980....

A single powerful graphics card is always better than two weaker in SLI. This has been true for a long time. Don't be fooled by pure performance, it's not better at all

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

A single powerful graphics card is always better than two weaker in SLI. This has been true for a long time. Don't be fooled by pure performance, it's not better at all

considering a 980 is what... like  10-20% more powerful than a single 970... dont fool yourself.

considering a 980 is what... like  10-20% more powerful than a single 980... dont fool yourself.

Again, a single more powerful card is better. 

It will;

1. Be more "Future proof" in that it's easier to expand down the line
  2. Use significantly less wattage
  3. Have better support
  4. Won't have the typical SLI issues
  5. No problem with recording, streaming, etc.

Even linus says it every time it comes up, 1 stronger card is better than 2 weaker ones.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

I realize you should opt for a higher WATTAGE of a PSU, because your going to get nearly borderline, which leaves not much room for OC'ing if your planning for SLI, and overclocking.

Again, a single more powerful card is better. 

It will;

1. Be more "Future proof" in that it's easier to expand down the line
  2. Use significantly less wattage
  3. Have better support
  4. Won't have the typical SLI issues
  5. No problem with recording, streaming, etc.

Even linus says it every time it comes up, 1 stronger card is better than 2 weaker ones.

Very true, and one of the things along side that is some games scale terribly with SLI, so a 980 or a 980ti at the same price would be optimal.

But whenever i go to add 2-way SLI on the Pcpartpicker page it says that it doesnt support it with the 970. And also should i or shouldnt i keep the i7?

Hyper threading doesn't work like that. xD Games barely even support it, and even with DX12 coming out you're going to see more of a difference having 8 cores than 4 cores and hyper threading. Sorry, but the performance gain isn't actually as much as people make it out to be.

I usually am actually.

QFT

Games usually take advantage of a core, or maybe two tops. 4 cores v. 8 threads is basically the same for like 75% of games

[removed]

Pot, kettle!

Edited by Godlygamer23

Stop the arguing and insulting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

But whenever i go to add 2-way SLI on the Pcpartpicker page it says that it doesnt support it with the 970. And also should i or shouldnt i keep the i7?

Keep the i7, its nice. Also, I would suggest getting a single 980ti and a little higher wattage psu, like a 850W or 800W PSU :) Also, the 980 TI will be much better then 970SLI, and will be more upgradable if you ever get more money for some reason and get another 980TI :P

It can support SLI, however, I would not recommend it with that PSU. 

Is this still a build in planning, or have you bought parts of it yet?

Also, what are you planning on using the system for? Do you intend to overclock? 

Dont get the CX series PSU.

Keep in mind, if gaming, you dont need the i7, you can save a few bucks with an i5.

Yes, that motherboard is SLI compatible.

^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)